OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Lol.

I'm trying to illustrate what the small ID hose of the JLT catch can is doing vs the larger/to-OE-design one of the FP catch can. You can't just throw a hose on, regardless of size, and have it work properly.

The smaller ID hose is likely pulling a higher and quicker vacuum at the inside of the hose, and pulling more oil vapor/causing the ability to pull oil vapor into the system.

At WOT, intake pressure increases, manifold vacuum drops and turns into a pressure pressure environment - it's possible to setup enough of a vacuum in the clean-side of the PCV system to pull oil vapor in from the crankcase/valvetrain area (especially when you have high RPM and more blow-by occurring).
This would be true if the driver side hooked up to the manifold, but it hooks up to the intake tube, so this has nothing to do with it, it is never under vacuum. The only gasses you coming through here are from positive crankcase pressure which is due to blowby.

EDIT: Any turbo engine builder will tell you, bigger the catch can hoses and less restriction the better. So actually you CAN just throw a hose on there as long as its BIG. Too small of a PCV hose and you have oil pressure issues. You see this on turbo cars with oil literally coming out of the turbo seals.
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
This would be true if the driver side hooked up to the manifold, but it hooks up to the intake tube, so this has nothing to do with it, it is never under vacuum. The only gasses you coming through here are from positive crankcase pressure which is due to blowby.
OK. “Pressure differential” at the intake tube and clean side hose junction. There has to be pressure differential for flow to occur. Maybe vacuum was a bad term to use.

EDIT: Any turbo engine builder will tell you, bigger the catch can hoses and less restriction the better. So actually you CAN just throw a hose on there as long as its BIG. Too small of a PCV hose and you have oil pressure issues. You see this on turbo cars with oil literally coming out of the turbo seals.
I will agree with that thought.

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not that it is particularly relevant, but I found it interesting.

The race motor produces a good bit of blow-by. So much so that I run a vent Peterson can that drains back into the oil pan. Driver side is just about as active as passenger.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
OK. “Pressure differential” at the intake tube and clean side hose junction. There has to be pressure differential for flow to occur...
The flow on the driver's side is simple - the vacuum on the pax side pulls a certain number of pounds-per-minute of air out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold. It has to come from somewhere, so to replace the missing air, filtered and metered fresh air flows into the crankcase from the air line on the driver's side. On a pounds-per-minute basis, the air flowing in and the air flowing out are equal, so the ECU provides the right fuel amount to use up the air that's been circulated through the crank case.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not that it is particularly relevant, but I found it interesting.

The race motor produces a good bit of blow-by. So much so that I run a vent Peterson can that drains back into the oil pan. Driver side is just about as active as passenger.
This is an unpressurized version of the crankcase vent plan - the air running through the engine and the air going through the crankcase never meet, so the vents just provide a way for blowby to leave. This pressurizes the crankcase, but to a very minor extent. It's unlikely you're losing any power because of it.

I had two BMW's - one with an S62 engine and one with an S65. On both of them, there was a cyclone style oil separator in the crankcase vent system on each bank that drained into the oil pan. There was no vacuum in the crankcase - it was whatever pressure the blowby created. The cyclones vented into the intake tract ahead of the throttle bodies after the filter, like the Ford driver's side setup. It worked fine, and you never had to empty the catch cans (cyclones) but it did tend to gum up the throttle bodies (each engine had 8) over time.

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Had the JLT on the driver's side and never caught anything even after some pretty hard track days, so just took it off.

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
After a weekend at the track I typically have a couple of ounces in the drivers and passengers side Ford Performance catch cans. The drivers side catch can starts working at full throttle. The passenger side is closed at full throttle. The passenger side has the pcv in it and the drivers side has a full port connection into the valve cover.

8075D202-75F5-43A1-B347-2E9720A3EDE3.png

TLFLOW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Passenger side is only one working right, I’m thinking about added an oz to drivers side, looks bone dry
Sponsored