Drive line clank, opinions please

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Dang this site won’t take Apple . Mov formats....anyway.....

The details are 2015 Mustang GT auto 3:15 gears and 24,000 miles.
The only drivetrain modifications are Ford lowering springs and swapping 19 inch OEM wheels for 20 inch OEM wheels. The car is not beat on and otherwise the driveline is 100% stock.

I was rotating my tires today And heard a very metallic clanking noise when I gave one rear tire a bit of rotation. The transmission was in park and both rear wheels off the ground.
If I grab one tire and rotated I get this clank in the driveshaft toward the transmission not back by the rear differential. I get a small amount of drive shaft rotation and the opposite tire moved it out of a third of the distance of the tire I spin.

I don’t hear this noise from inside the car and maybe have a slight have a clunk from inside the car.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'd guess that clank is a little bit of driveshaft slop. With a 2-piece driveshaft, it's inevitable. Even with a one piece, you will still have some. Remember that you have a limited slip in the back, so when you turn one wheel, the other wants to turn also, so the torque finds the least resistance, which is a small amount of slack, until the driveshaft is effectively clamped (due to it being in park). Any torque after that is just fighting with the differential. I bet if you spun the wheel back and forth, the sound would get louder as you would go from - slack to + slack instead of from neutral resting to + slack.

If it doesn't feel like it's dragging, your MPG is the same, your engine isn't getting hotter, and the car is tracking straight, then I wouldn't worry about it. I once had a Camaro with a bad pinion bearing and there was absolutely no way of mistaking it - it sounded really bad until I had it fixed.