Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have cvfab and im
Pretty sure I had it nice and
Tight during install, I feel like I’ve been smelling exhaust, I assume that gasket if leaking is by the ac vent on hood and can suck it in right? Would it have to be a lot? I put my hand over and near the exhaust, I may feel a hair of heat from the gasket on top,
But nothing I’d assume would be much.
If I do replace the gasket, is there a heavy duty gasket we can buy? Or should I just turn both the nut a turn or two see if tightens a hair

I’m weary of breaking those studsI was back
When I was tightening them
Up then too lol
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Screenshot_2021-01-11-19-50-42.png

I like using a little sealer when putting an exhaust system together... It's a little like using pipe dope or teflon tape when plumbing!

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can I smear it around the outside? Or do I have to remove it entirely. :|

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I bet its my gasket, plus I read the gasket that came w cvfab, despite being a nice pipe, had a crummy gasket. I wonder if I can simply lose up the mid section of the Downpipe, (it is 2 pieces) then loses up the 2 nuts at the manifold, maybe I can push it back a hair, and squirt some of that gasket liquid on both sides?

do I do it on both sides of the gasket? since it would mate to both sides of exhaust metal

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/exhaust-leak-issue-resolved.22153/

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Can I smear it around the outside? Or do I have to remove it entirely. :|
I'd pull it back apart and smear a little on both sides of the gaskets. I also use it on the pipe connections. It's as much of a lubricant, as a sealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'd pull it back apart and smear a little on both sides of the gaskets. I also use it on the pipe connections. It's as much of a lubricant, as a sealer.
I will have my car on a lift Friday, as im replacing radiator, I may be adding some of this as well. if I can get the Downpipe to scoot back a bit, I may be able to get enough room to put a nice layer around the whole thing easily

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot I have to remove basically my entire exhaust... my y pipe is welded to end of the tailpipe, I have to literally pull everything down.
I just looked at my exhaust, it honestly looks seared and I am not sure if it’s actually leaking

Zzz I don’t want to do
Exhaust Friday. I’m going on for radiator. May schedule the exhaust in future 3k miles when i rent lift in spring for oil change

820C2B64-3343-4F59-8D3C-C0517A672B89.jpeg

9AFE263F-F7B7-45AB-A9FE-B3C03E8D5420.jpeg

B33B6BA4-BC7A-4F03-A279-CD0F079C1A04.jpeg

E86DCA38-62B1-450F-A7DA-AF8428D119C3.jpeg

B9E922A7-7FC2-4CEF-8F9D-49EE7D069B8F.jpeg

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Or do you think I could wipe some sealer around and on the gasket? Like into the gasket.
And wipe off the excess. Maybe enough will protrude into the cracks and seal a possible leak

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the photos, it may not be seated fully on top right in person it looked seated

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’m really not against rubbing a nice bead around the gasket though, do you think it would seal and stay?

Sponsored
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
looking at it in the light, it really looks seated well, im going to leave it alone for now, one day I will yank out the entire exhaust and do putty and ultra copper peramtex on everything. it could be my imagination eh, too much work for Friday. got to focus on the radiator first. maybe do exhaust in spring

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Or do you think I could wipe some sealer around and on the gasket? Like into the gasket.
And wipe off the excess. Maybe enough will protrude into the cracks and seal a possible leak
It wouldn't hurt... Your setup is different than mine, you may be able to loosen it up and slide your gaskets out. Then use a lite coating on sealer (provided your gaskets are in good condition) and slide your gaskets back in place and tighten it back up.
Sorry, but I don't know the torque specs of the manifold bolts

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Screenshot_2021-01-12-11-12-19.png

My down pipe is a DIYer and I reused the OEM "gooseneck" and flange with factory "donut"
Not sure if you can see the sealant or not, but it's there.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
is there a cheap co2 detector I can buy or whatever, and put it beside the gasket? Lol a sniffer type deal. see if its leaking.

its the fact that like 1/3 of my system is welded, so I have to remove the entire. y pipe out, to even release my downpipes, to scoot it back I think. there is 2 bolts on bottom of downpipes, if I lose that, I may be able to scoot it out a little, but im doubtful.

id have to do this work to find out it actually really wasn't even leaking

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I guess you could use a little soapy water and look for bubbles as long as the exhaust system is still cold.
I found one (by accident) years ago while wearing wet gloves, but it was back at the muffler.
Just don't burn yourself and wear safety glasses, water boils quick on exhaust manifolds and they are prone to cracking if hit with cold water after getting hot!
Sponsored