Sponsored

The Ecoboost Exhaust Manifold/Gasket Design Flaw

JayBomb97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Has anyone else had issues with the Ecoboost's exhaust donut gasket wearing out and leaking regularly?

Every year I have to replace the gasket because it disintegrates and starts leaking. It is a huge PITA to replace due to the clamping mechanism and where Ford decided to put the bolts. There is barely enough space to get a wrench in there. This year I've accidentally stripped the bolts and am finally fed up with dealing with this.

I'm looking around for aftermarket gaskets made of a much better material, a down pipe with a different attachment mechanism, and thinking about getting a custom fabricated/modded down pipe to eliminate the gasket all together.

I have the Solo Performance turbo back system (which sounds amazing btw). The attached pictures are annotated and explain the situation more thoroughly. The gasket installed in the car is brand new. The one I'm holding is the most pristine one that I've replaced so far. The worst one I've replaced was flaking apart in my hands.

If you can spare a few minutes, I'd greatly appreciate any advice or tips on why this is happening and how I could fix it permanently! Bonus points if there is an existing solution I could just bolt on
IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2157.jpg
IMG_2311.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg
IMG_2313.jpg
Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Exact opposite for me... the aftermarket gasket included with my exhaust disintegrated, so I replaced it with a Ford unit and was never bothered by it again.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
nothing to offer here besides adding my frustration. putting that thing back on is a pain in the ass

brl0301

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost
from the first picture it looks like you have the gasket installed backwards which would probably explain why it keeps falling apart. the tapered side should be facing away from the motor

Sponsored

OP
OP
JayBomb97

JayBomb97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
from the first picture it looks like you have the gasket installed backwards which would probably explain why it keeps falling apart. the tapered side should be facing away from the motor
Long story short I stripped the bolts when I was away from home and in my hast to rig a solution back together so I could get home I didn't realize I put it in backwards. Every one before this was put in the correct way - as far as I can remember, at least.

Given that I'm on my 4th gasket and others are having the same issue, I doubt these things will last in either orientation. I'm thinking of a custom flex pipe to replace the donut and chopping my DP to fit at the moment.

brl0301

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost
Where else have you heard of the gaskets having issues? This is the first time ive heard of it being a problem. If it is a common issue ill def start keeping a closer eye on mine. Dont want exhaust gases leaking into the engine bay unnecessarily.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Nice post.
You are correct.
This connection is a source of leaks which can be smelled inside the car when not using the AC but running the fan.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I've fought this issue with aftermarket gaskets (flat style flange) for years now. It works for a few months after replacement and then goes bad again. That said, I've never seen anyone complain of a stock (donut) style gasket failure until now, and I'm quite surprised to see you mention that it's failing this quick.

Also, a bit off-topic, OP what program/app are you using to annotate your pictures above?

OP
OP
JayBomb97

JayBomb97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I've fought this issue with aftermarket gaskets (flat style flange) for years now. It works for a few months after replacement and then goes bad again. That said, I've never seen anyone complain of a stock (donut) style gasket failure until now, and I'm quite surprised to see you mention that it's failing this quick.

Also, a bit off-topic, OP what program/app are you using to annotate your pictures above?
I used macOS' built in Preview app. Its simple, but works For more detail oriented things I use Affinity Photo/Designer on my laptop/iPad. I would expect these donuts to be fine. Even the stock exhaust chewed through them.

I've attached a pic of another one that I replaced last year. Gnarly. I spoke to a race shop in my local area today to get something fabricated to remove the gasket altogether. When its all done I'll definitely post pictures of the finished product.
IMG_2297.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
JayBomb97

JayBomb97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Where else have you heard of the gaskets having issues? This is the first time ive heard of it being a problem. If it is a common issue ill def start keeping a closer eye on mine. Dont want exhaust gases leaking into the engine bay unnecessarily.
I also posted to the Tune+ ecoboost technical forum on Facebook to see if anyone with specialized knowledge had seen this. One or two people said they also have this issue and had worse looking gaskets than I do https://www.facebook.com/groups/ecoboostsupport

brl0301

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost
I used macOS' built in Preview app. Its simple, but works For more detail oriented things I use Affinity Photo/Designer on my laptop/iPad. I would expect these donuts to be fine. Even the stock exhaust chewed through them.

I've attached a pic of another one that I replaced last year. Gnarly. I spoke to a race shop in my local area today to get something fabricated to remove the gasket altogether. When its all done I'll definitely post pictures of the finished product.
IMG_2297.jpg
The wear on that makes it look like it was def installed backwards. The worn ring around the gasket is where it was sitting against the turbo instead of against the tapered end of the down pipe. There is a steel sleeve inside the gasket which directs the exhaust gas into the down pipe instead of blasting against the gasket itself, which is what happens when you have it installed backwards. If the shop hasn't started the project yet Id have them stop and try installing the donut correctly before wasting your money fixing a non-issue.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I didn't take a good look at the pics in the initial post, but after seeing brl0301's comments, I went back and did so. It's definitely installed backwards. The flat surface mounts against the turbo side and the the angled surface mounts against the downpipe side.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still on the same gasket after 6 removals of the downpipe.
Sponsored