Sponsored

Door Panel Help

nate154

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Hello all,

My first time doing an install myself. That plate behind the door handle is really something. Should I go buy a special tool for this, it is there a way to get it out?

Thanks!
Sponsored

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
I've seen a video on the removal of door panel, [ame]

Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
nate154

nate154

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I've been watching that. He's using some special tool, and doesn't go into detail on getting that out.

I actually found a nice little tool- a paint can opener; been going at it from the left side, but a stubborn little plate!

Last edited:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I couldn't get the thing off either. I found I could just rotate the panel ninety degrees to access the speaker area pretty easily,

OP
OP
nate154

nate154

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I ended up putting a small flat head in the hole at the top and just kept prying. It Came out pretty easily.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When I did mine to switch out the speakers I used a dentist pick, it has like a little hook on the end, just hook into the little hole/slot and pull, the little panel will pop right out.
1-PC-font-b-Stainless-b-font-font-b-Steel-b-font-font-b-Dental-b.jpg

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
Get a small Allen wrench with a plyers I found that u might need 2 different sizes one berry small just to get it in there and open it a little and another about to sizes bigger iv had to take mines off multiple times and this works fairly easy if u need more help pm me

OP
OP
nate154

nate154

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
One thing I did when taking the second panel off; I bent a coat hanger, kinda like the dentist tool, and it came right off easily.

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
I haven't tried it but my buddy used a fishing hook u pretty much just need some thing to get behind the plastic and pull

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
finally got around to using this to remove my door panels to get them reupholstered in leather, to match my new Katzkin interior.

Removal pretty much followed the video, although it did not go quite as smooth. Using an angled probe, the plastic behind the door handle wasn't too bad. The most difficult, for me, was removal of the cable that connects to the inside door handle. The housing is mounted in a plastic groove that did not want to let go! After mangling it with pliers, I finally noticed that the cable housing has 4 folded flaps that need to be squeezed flat in order to force the housing out of the plastic mount that holds it to the door. I could not even see the mount in the video. But, as usual, the drivers door came off reasonable well, after first practicing on the passenger door.

The other difficulty was popping off the plastic arm rest/window/lock cover. I thought it was going to break into 2 pieces before I got it loose. I used a plastic paint can lid opener, and a long flat screwdriver to work them loose.

I avoided breaking anything, and only scratched plastic that isn't seen. Success.

Hope these tips help the next guy. :headbang:

Sponsored

latemade5.8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Paint can openers?! Panel removal tools are cheap and won't damage your panels. A pick set with a 90* hook is the answer for the stubborn panels behind the door handle.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I use a 4 piece pick set I bought at Wal-Mart about a decade ago. Here's a similar one on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Performanc...=UTF8&qid=1487545065&sr=8-2&keywords=pick+set
I picked up a 4 piece set, similar to that one, at Home Depot. I only needed the right angled probe to remove the piece behind the door handle. Just pulled on it a few times through the hole and it popped out. No damage to the plastic.

I wouldn't use these on the door panels, however, as they would probably create dimples on the plastic edges. I just grabbed them (leather work gloves helped) and pulled hard, until they began to release.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Paint can openers?! Panel removal tools are cheap and won't damage your panels. A pick set with a 90* hook is the answer for the stubborn panels behind the door handle.
The paint can opener I used is a very thin piece of hard plastic, about an inch wide, not a metal can opener type. It is perfect for getting in between plastic without damage.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I picked up a 4 piece pick set from Harbor freight for $1.99.
Sponsored