Sponsored

Door latch recall

Fordguy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Limited Edition 50th Anniversary
Has anyone had their door latch recall performed? How long did it take? Any issues? Any problems with the latches prior to recall?
Just really don't want to take my baby in for major surgery.
Sponsored

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Had the latch recall done yesterday (less than 1 day of work). Note that the front driver and passenger windows need to be removed, and my driver window was not aligned correctly when I picked up (bumped the rear window slightly when raising and was not even with it anymore). Had to leave it again today for re-alignment, so watch for that.

I did have my driver door pop open on an exit ramp a month ago, so I really wanted those latches replaced -- having your door opening at high speeds is obviously not safe.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Had the latch recall done yesterday (less than 1 day of work). Note that the front driver and passenger windows need to be removed, and my driver window was not aligned correctly when I picked up (bumped the rear window slightly when raising and was not even with it anymore). Had to leave it again today for re-alignment, so watch for that.

I did have my driver door pop open on an exit ramp a month ago, so I really wanted those latches replaced -- having your door opening at high speeds is obviously not safe.
Exactly what I figure will happen. Change the latches and FU something else. Mine is garaged and in the sun and heat for only a short time. I will let the next owner worry about it. I've watched the mechanics on recalls. No money in them and they are not careful because time is money. Very few failures anyway.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Made an appointment today to get them replaced while it's in for inspection and alignment, but i'm now having second thoughts because i have not experienced any problems to date. Seems kind of like getting minor preventative surgery, only to regret it down the road because of the scar it leaves behind. Might have to cancel...

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
The realignment of the window went fine on mine. Personally I don't take chances with safety related recalls - sure, the latch will likely never give you a problem, but I don't like the idea of either door randomly popping open at highway speeds. And mine did actually unlatch on a highway exit ramp (though it didn't fly open thankfully), and that is what expedited my request for the recall.

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just had this recall performed on mine. Now at highway speeds I am getting a large amount of wind noise from the passenger door. Is it possible they got the door out of alignment?

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just had this recall performed on mine. Now at highway speeds I am getting a large amount of wind noise from the passenger door. Is it possible they got the door out of alignment?
Most likely window alignment. That being said have you ever watched these so called Technicians do a recall? It is all about time not workmanship because Ford seldom allows enough time to do a quality job. Like anything else its never quite the same after it is taken apart fo repair.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Check the windows and make sure they are straight and go up all the way -- they need to be dropped to do the recall and if they don't put them back correctly, they may not be going up all the way. They shouldn't have had to touch the doors. I suppose the new latch could also be badly installed causing the door to be left slightly open when driving.
Sponsored