Sponsored

Door alignment - it CAN be done DIY

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
My passenger door came misaligned from the factory - the character line didn't line up, didn't notice it right away, but once I did it bugged the hell out of me. After searching for how to align it with no luck, I was resigned to taking it to the dealer. But then Cobra Jet posted a pdf from the service manual (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/door-alignment-pdf.373955/), so I gave it a shot today. Wasn't easy, as the bolts were very hard to get to, and I was working by myself so I had to use a jack to hold the door in the position I needed while re-tightening the bolts. Luckily I pulled it off and it looks good. Before and after shots below.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Nice job! I work in the body shop at Ford so I've always been critical of body fits, and panel imperfections. That..would have driven me nuts!!

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice job! I work in the body shop at Ford so I've always been critical of body fits, and panel imperfections. That..would have driven me nuts!!
Yea, you'd think something that obvious wouldn't have made it past quality control. It's not like a mild panel gap that could be hard to see. It's the character line on the side of the car! Why even have a character line if you can't line it up properly?

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I couldn't tell you how stuff like that gets out. I know it's not supposed to. At our plant we sometimes run into issues if the normal operators aren't there. If a replacement has to be trained (rare on a job like this) the first few that he does by himself can turn out like this. But.. It should've been caught by one of the final inspectors. It's an embarrassment to employees like me. The vast majority of us actually care how our product looks and performs. Had that been caught out in the lot somebody would've been wrote up, or worse.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice fix. I’m going to intentionally NOT check mine now.. lol. That would send my OCD into overdrive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice fix. I’m going to intentionally NOT check mine now.. lol. That would send my OCD into overdrive.
The picture may not look too bad, but mine was very obvious. I got tired of people saying "nice car ... hey your door isn't lined up.”

Last edited:

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Mine came like that also, only it was at the >front< of the driver door, my car is white, you literally could see it from 50' away!!! it took em several attempts to get it right, (warranty) I told them, " don't make it worse, and don't wreck, or gouge, or nick anything, or you can keep it" btw, they also had to realign my truck lid,, that was off a few millimeters also..... I don't know how my car got out of Flat Rock looking like it did. thankfully it seems to run real good and no other issues, 10,xxx miles.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Mine's not aligned but where the drivers door doesn't LOOK closed by maybe 1/32" to a 1/16". Looks real bad from the rear, like the door isn't fully closed. Gap by the front fender also. Nobody has a clue how to fix, dealer nor a good well know body shop I use. I was thinking getting another door latch (the one on the post) weld the mounting holes shut and re-do them so it moves that latch in the same amount the door is off. Pass side in fine of COURSE!!!

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Great job! Entirely worth it, the results are just right. I am fortunate that my doors fit right on the back ends, but I need to pay some attention to the front ends and the fenders. Also the hood seems to sit a little lower in the rear than in the front. Most folks won't notice, but I can't stop seeing it.

Thanks also for the link!

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
My passenger door came misaligned from the factory - the character line didn't line up, didn't notice it right away, but once I did it bugged the hell out of me. After searching for how to align it with no luck, I was resigned to taking it to the dealer. But then Cobra Jet posted a pdf from the service manual (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/door-alignment-pdf.373955/), so I gave it a shot today. Wasn't easy, as the bolts were very hard to get to, and I was working by myself so I had to use a jack to hold the door in the position I needed while re-tightening the bolts. Luckily I pulled it off and it looks good. Before and after shots below.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg
3 years later and the same stuff.
I saved the pdf. Thanks!
I think I'll let the dealer handle it at first oil change.

Same scenario, didn't notice it at first, but...
Only difference is mine is on the drivers side.
misaligned.jpg

Sponsored

Applied Carbon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Mine is lined up but the door just looks like it's open 1/16 or a 1/8, can I just move the stricker in a bit to suck the door in?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Pkg, Pony Pkg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg
Nice job ! It's always pleasant to see someone tackling a peeve with cautious patience and making it work out just right ! Thumbs đź‘Ť
Sponsored