Sponsored

does the fuel door lock when FOB not present?

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'm planning to go to a cars and coffee to meet a buddy on Saturday in northern VA -- he's bringing his C7 Z51 (has owned Mustangs, and also has a `70 Nova) -- but I digress -- I cleaned up the car, put some sealer on it, and it was 12:30, so I needed to go to bed - put some carnauba wax on a few panels to see what that would look like (OMG!)

Got home and put it under cover...

Came home after work the next day to find the cover lifted up in the rear to the mirrors, and pollen all over the back half of the car. I noticed some residue around the fuel cap -- I didn't think anything of it, and thought that maybe the wind got under the cover and lifted it part way up. I used some quick detailer, and went inside...

I now wonder if someone might have lifted the cover, and poured something nasty in my tank.

Looking in the manual, I can find nothing on the topic of the fuel door locking -- checked the security section, and the fueling section -- does anyone know?

I hope I'm just paranoid. One of the residents had been keeping his motorcycle under a tent, and a few days ago I found the tent in the grass, and a notice on it regarding a need to move his vehicle. I've spoken to the dude before -- seemed nice enough... But since his tent got moved, I've parked my car in that spot to close ranks - we don't have assigned parking where I live.
Sponsored

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
You can't pour anything in the gas tank without the special funnel in your trunk. Otherwise every time it rained you'd get water in your gas.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Well I've used several different funnels to pour gas in my car so I'm guessing it doesn't take much.

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I've been able to use the small bottles of Lucas upper cylinder lube without trouble -- kind of a long, skinny neck. Hopefully it was just wind and bird poop or something. I may dump some Lucas in and drive for a while, and top off with some high quality gas in case someone was being a d!ck -- may not help, if someone brought a funnel and dumped a bottle of Coke into my tank though. I guess there's really no way to know.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I'm planning to go to a cars and coffee to meet a buddy on Saturday in northern VA -- he's bringing his C7 Z51 (has owned Mustangs, and also has a `70 Nova) -- but I digress -- I cleaned up the car, put some sealer on it, and it was 12:30, so I needed to go to bed - put some carnauba wax on a few panels to see what that would look like (OMG!)

Got home and put it under cover...

Came home after work the next day to find the cover lifted up in the rear to the mirrors, and pollen all over the back half of the car. I noticed some residue around the fuel cap -- I didn't think anything of it, and thought that maybe the wind got under the cover and lifted it part way up. I used some quick detailer, and went inside...

I now wonder if someone might have lifted the cover, and poured something nasty in my tank.

Looking in the manual, I can find nothing on the topic of the fuel door locking -- checked the security section, and the fueling section -- does anyone know?

I hope I'm just paranoid. One of the residents had been keeping his motorcycle under a tent, and a few days ago I found the tent in the grass, and a notice on it regarding a need to move his vehicle. I've spoken to the dude before -- seemed nice enough... But since his tent got moved, I've parked my car in that spot to close ranks - we don't have assigned parking where I live.
To answer your original question, no, the fuel door does not lock. I was a bit disappointed by this myself. I even considered getting a cheap locking gas cap but I don't think even that will work since the whole point from Ford seems to be easy access. That said, I also heard that a special funnel is needed but that does seem easily defeated as others have noted.

I had a co-worker who had a (I believe) 2013 or 2014 Ford Escape. If I remember correctly, that car came with the same type of setup. No locking fuel door and no gas cap. However, at some point, I remember her saying that Ford brought out an accessory lockable gas cap. Perhaps there is something available for the 15 Mustang after all?

Ultimately, I'm not too worried about it personally as my car sits in a garage every night but I definitely can't fathom why they couldn't add a locking mechanism to the door. I'm not even asking for something that automates with the fob. Pulling a little fuel door lever inside (or button) would be perfectly fine.

Good luck! Hopefully it was just the wind. I guess there's no real easy way to check short of starting the engine and driving...

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The meet got rained out, but the car is looking pretty sharp. I have driven it some today - I guess I'm just paranoid. Thanks all for the feedback - but it's good to be mindful of the fueling system - at least I learned something.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought a LOCKING FUEL PLUG for my Mustang from Ford,works great !!