DaymienS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daymien
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
As was stated a few times in this thread:
You NEED to get your policy docs and read all of the printed pages AND the fine print as to what is and is not covered. If you have an Auto Ins. policy, you should have access to those docs either online or by calling and just requesting a hard copy of your policy.

Most likely you have a standard auto insurance policy. You will be SOL of ANY aftermarket expenses IF your vehicle ever goes through a total loss claim OR if any of those parts are stolen from the vehicle.

The common Auto Insurance you get only covers the vehicle as it came from the manufacturer (by its VIN). Anything an owner has added may not be covered (again based on the Policy declaration pages).

If your policy does cover for aftermarket equipment, some polices have $$ limitations on those parts OR you can ask for additional coverage, which of course does raise the policy cost incrementally.

If you want the car insured for an Agreed Value based on vehicle worth and any mods added, then you must get a policy that is for Agreed Value where that value is in black and white on the Policy declaration pages. If the vehicle is totaled out, the Agreed Value is what would be paid, no more and no less. The Agreed Value is agreed upon by you and the Insurance Company. It’s not a verbal agreement, it’s not a “hand shake” between you and your best bro Insurance Guy, and it’s not assumed. The value has to be printed and shown on the Policy Declaration page stating the vehicle is insured for an Agreed Value of “$X”. It’s also NOT a “stated value” as some Insurance Co.’s like to say that it’s the same as an Agreed Value - it is NOT.

Check your Policy pages.

Now of course you can add whatever the heck you like to your ride to make it go super duper fast, bling it out, or ride on 25’s if that is your thing - but if your policy doesn’t cover for the excess spent on goodies, or it’s not an Agreed Value, your $$$ is just as good as flushed down the toilet if/when the car becomes a total loss statistic.
Thank you. Going to give em a call and see if they do cover aftermarket. I just heard they can sometimes deny a claim for vehicle damage/total loss if you have a s/c or something similar but that seems to not be the case. They just wont cover the s/c and only the OEM
Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
As an insurance agent, I agree with all the others who said check your policy. Full coverage for one insurer may cover it, but maybe not. Generally policies have a limit on how much they'll cover on aftermarket items.

Keep in mind that most policies are written with ACV (Actual Cash Value or...depreciated value).

Keep in mind also that there are deductibles that you may be responsible for, depending on your policy and the circumstances generating such a loss.

To reiterate what numerous other folks said, review your policy details.

RMoeslein

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2020 f250 lariat Tremor
I have full coverage right now with state farm. But Im not sure if they cover anything aftermarket and i didnt want to call and raise suspicion asking if i added a s/c if theyd deny claims or if theyd cover it.. i guess i could just give them a call and speak in hypotheticals. What insurance do you have?
I went with Haggerty and did the agreed value policy to cover the 25k i had in upgrades. My regular insurance would not cover those upgrades. It really wasnt much more expensive.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, there is no reason to call and beat around the bush, unless you want them to beat around the bush with the answer. Ask them specific questions and get specific answers. Read every single sentence in your policy and then ask questions, as to what you "think" is covered. If you think this is fun, wait until you decide to sell your car and find out how "many" think aftermarket add-ons should "decrease" the value......until you find that buyer who appreciates what you have done and was looking for those exact upgrades.

OP
OP
DaymienS550

DaymienS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daymien
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
OP, there is no reason to call and beat around the bush, unless you want them to beat around the bush with the answer. Ask them specific questions and get specific answers. Read every single sentence in your policy and then ask questions, as to what you "think" is covered. If you think this is fun, wait until you decide to sell your car and find out how "many" think aftermarket add-ons should "decrease" the value......until you find that buyer who appreciates what you have done and was looking for those exact upgrades.
Yup ik I’m never gonna get what i put into the car back out that’s not how this works unfortunately 🤣🤣
Sponsored