Sponsored

Does a tune dramatically change the S550 Coyote sound charateristic?

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
We have a 2014 GT that we bought with a BAMA Tune, JLT and ATAK Cat-Back. It was really snap, crackle and pop especially on decel. We went to a Ford Racing Track Cal, it was a night and day different in sound. It no longer had the same sound as the BAMA, it has a very strong snarl when ripping into it but relatively stock idle.

I wanted to know if anyone had any major change in the sound characteristic of their S550 after their tune.

I am hoping that the Ford Racing Tune produces a change in sound on my X Pipe and Roush Axle-Back system.
Sponsored

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
The deceleration pop is likely cut. The Bama tune is running fat (rich). It's likely excess burn off.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Decel pop has nothing to do with fuel as the fuel is cut off during decel. Decel pop is dictated by how much spark lead is involved. DFCO typically has values around 3-5 degrees which pop, some people don't like it and tuners change it to 45-50 and it smooths out.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Its a combo of both fuel and spark. More lead gives the fuel( whats left of it) a longer time to burn. Its also a common misconception that pops come from a rich fuel mixture. a lean fuel mixture causes the EGTs to be much higher and a better source of post combustion chamber ignition. Once DFCO is in full effect there shouldn't be any more fuel and hence any more noise no matter the spark lead.

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Tunes can absolutely change the characteristic of how the car sounds. Sounds like pops and crackles have to do with when the fuel is reintroduced during an in gear deceleration. No fuel no sound. Bring the fuel back in at stoichiometric with the right timing and you will get that popping and cracking when coasting. We normally have the fuel come back in (to keep the motor running) once you get down to slower speeds to mitigate that noise.

We can also do things like change the cam timing at start up to make the car not "bark" as loud and have a smoother start up. This was primarily developed for cars with headers and no cats. The function of that loud and hot startup is to heat the cats up reducing start-up emissions. Well without cats you don't need that anymore and your neighbors will thank you in the early morning as well.

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Its a combo of both fuel and spark. More lead gives the fuel( whats left of it) a longer time to burn. Its also a common misconception that pops come from a rich fuel mixture. a lean fuel mixture causes the EGTs to be much higher and a better source of post combustion chamber ignition. Once DFCO is in full effect there shouldn't be any more fuel and hence any more noise no matter the spark lead.
true, I should have said "new fuel" as there will be some fuel left of course.:thumbsup:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I actually want to have that popping/crackling sound on deceleration. Right now I am running the regular Lund tune. Do you guys think it is possible for Lund to make this happen when I go for the FF tune?

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Stock and steeda tune, I don't have any pop. I would like to have it too. Kinda makes me tingly inside haha.

After the steeda tune, my car did sound a bit more throaty and more racy up top.

Even just changing my driving mode, changes the exhaust note.
Sponsored