Sponsored

Do you think there is any harm done by removing and replacing bolts repeatedly???

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
To all you people who are smarter and have had your vehicles much longer than I:

Do you think that dropping the subframe and then putting it back a bunch of times is bad? I know that some of the bolts used in vehicle assembly these days cut the threads themselves when they're run in at the factory, which means that the slightest misalignment can take material out during reinstallation. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that doing suspension work incrementally can be bad because of this. I'm sort of a one-and-done type of person meaning my inclination is to buy all suspension parts at once so that I only have to take it apart once... but then there's this other side of me that doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars all at once and also wants to see what each individual thing feels like before adding to it...

Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yes, it is bad.

In fact, to meet the requirements for shearing, many of the bolts used to hold your vehicle together (largely in the suspension/subframe) are "stretch" bolts and are therefore one-time-use. That actually means ONE TIME, and ever time they are used after that they have lost strength and are stretched beyond spec. Bolts are cheap.

IN fact, CJPP sells kits of one-time-use bolts for specific projects.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The subframe bolts (the big blue ones) can be reused.

Various other suspension bolts it's a good idea to replace them, at least after a few times being off if not the first time. The HARM comes from when you take a bolt off and don't clean the threads and shove them back in with grit and crap in the bolt threads which cuts and screws up the threads the bolt twists into. Also, the more you take things off and put them back on again, especially when re-using a bolt, the more you are risking cross-threading.

I have done one suspension install where the guy bought new bolts. I swear the jeebus it was so much easier. Everyone threaded instantly, everyone went in smoothly. I plan to replace all the bolts I've been goofing off with for the past year before track season.

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
interesting. So everyone is more worried about the bolts than the holes? I haven't had anything apart underneath yet other than the exhaust, so I am clueless. Thanks for the tips!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm more worried about the HOLES and the threads there than the bolts. At the very least, wire brush re-used bolts clean before re-installing. So many people don't do this and screw themselves.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm more worried about the HOLES and the threads there than the bolts. At the very least, wire brush re-used bolts clean before re-installing. So many people don't do this and screw themselves.
pun intended!

yeah, that's what I'm thinking... bolts can be replaced, but if the threads get munged up, you can't do anything about it, and I've had that happen where the threads are inside of a box in the frame and you literally can't get behind it with a nut or anything to put it back together. Lesson learned about overtightening!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Also, folks, keep in mind - the IRS bolts (the big blue ones) WILL cut their own thread if you cross thread them even just a wittle bitty bit. This is what I beg people to buy the Steeda IRS alignment pins (do not get aluminum for this purpose) first. Not that I have a line of people I install parts for, but my god does it make dealing with that IRS so much easier.

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Does the BMR cradle bushing kit do the same to align the bolts? It looks like it would but I can't tell.

I am trying to figure out what I should do all at once. I know I want springs, but I don't know what else yet.

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
I often wondered about this same topic. I had planed on replacing the strut to spindle bolts/nuts when I do my spring install and wondered about the other suspension bolts in the IRS when I do my cradle lockout, vertical links and toe rods install. Replacing the bolts to me seems like assurance that nothing is gonna snap after constantly touching the hardware. I guess I'm not the weird paranoid guy since it seems others are replacing suspension related hardware

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Think of it this way...if the bolt you are reusing should happen to fail while you're driving, how bad would your day be? Use that as your layman's guide to metallurgy. Having worked on airplanes for 21+ years we have some bolts that are one-use only, however the majority of them are reused when securing something isn't overly critical.

I replace suspension bolts if I've had to remove them more than once, and anything that has a specific torque value and attached a significant part of the car to another. (not the wheel studs of course lol)

Sponsored

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
Think of it this way...if the bolt you are reusing should happen to fail while you're driving, how bad would your day be? Use that as your layman's guide to metallurgy. Having worked on airplanes for 21+ years we have some bolts that are one-use only, however the majority of them are reused when securing something isn't overly critical.

I replace suspension bolts if I've had to remove them more than once, and anything that has a specific torque value and attached a significant part of the car to another. (not the wheel studs of course lol)
I even wonder about the wheel studs sometimes. This is my first new car and also the first car where I'm going to run winter and summer wheels. All my other cars always had all season tires so the wheels stayed on constantly. How many times can we remove wheels over and over without issues with the studs, especially since people are torquing to 125-150 ft lbs? Maybe I'm thinking too deep into this

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Lug nuts are removed at every tire rotation... that is a very different situation, plus that's why we have 5 of them. Also, they're not holding the car up, the hubs are. I'm pretty sure you could lose three of them at once and still limp it somewhere to get some new ones pressed in.

So, not to worry!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Although the OEMs call for replacement of all suspension fasteners, we have never seen an issue re-using most of them.

I have had the cradle in and out of my Blue car about 30 times now. As well as most of the other fasteners. And I am not sure anyone, even Ford or their partners, has abused that rear assembly more than I have.

On that note, I would never steer anyone away from replacing the fasteners with new ones - it is always good to follow the OEMs direction.
Sponsored