Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I bought some OEM hood vents on eBay and want to get them painted black and was wondering if they come apart. I don't really want to paint the grill. I know it could be masked off but would be easier if they came apart. I tried pulling them apart, but was afraid of ruining them.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The rubberised backing plate (from the time on the video quoted above) is easy to get off.

The two half’s are ultrasonically (or heat) welded together sandwiching the grill between them.

If you can find a non destructive way of separating those items and being able to replace them as securely as OE, I’m all ears :like:

I have a spare set (that were white ) which I had painted black and they did the full lot - they actually look quite good :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
After playing around with them I suspected they were welded together. It looks pretty easy coming apart in the video but he doesn't show how he put it all back together and If he heat welded it. I'll let my painter who wanted to know if they came apart and let him decide how to proceed.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Yes, they do.. they are like a clam shell, i think 2 or 3 separate parts, Just be gentle taking them apart, they will break easy.

Thanks Anthony

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
After playing around with them I suspected they were welded together. It looks pretty easy coming apart in the video but he doesn't show how he put it all back together and If he heat welded it. I'll let my painter who wanted to know if they came apart and let him decide how to proceed.
I think the part he takes off at 5:20 in the video is just the hard rubber backing, not the second plastic piece that’s welded (that holds the vent mesh in place) ?

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Yes, they do.. they are like a clam shell, i think 2 or 3 separate parts, Just be gentle taking them apart, they will break easy.

Thanks Anthony
So there’s no plastic weld spots?…I didn’t want break anything trying to get them apart so I left them with my painter today and was wondering if they came apart.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
A modelers knife blade installed on a soldering gun, to cut the two halves apart, then use 2 part epoxy to put it back together with a dab of rtv on the edge of the screen to keep it from rattling if loose fitting when put back together.
I have done this for other vehicles and it takes time to slowly cut/melt the oem welded/melted seam. but a sharp heated blade is the key.

FLfree

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance
I have an OEM set in shadow black for sale in the market place section
IMG_4395.jpeg
for $80 shipped. They are off my ‘21 GT. Like new.

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
EDIT: message sent

Wish I knew that before I bought these…oooh well.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
That's exactly how I ended up with a white and black set ... :giggle:

And to make matters worse I dropped them off yesterday and I now just came from my painter to tell him I found a black pair and he had them apart and already primed....uggh... A for effort :sunglasses:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
And to make matters worse I dropped them off yesterday and I now just came from my painter to tell him I found a black pair and he had them apart and already primed....uggh... A for effort :sunglasses:
Sounds like you're going end up with a painted set and an OE shadow black set i.e. just like me ... :giggle:

OP
OP
Justpassingas

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Thats the plan ...I'll have a set of Twister Orange and Black ones....I always felt they should've been black from the factory with the Black Accent Package :sunglasses:
Sponsored