Sponsored

Do people with 20s still feel the need to lower their car?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I wanted to lower the car because with 18s it sits a little high for me and for better handling. I'm getting 20s, and seeing some pics of 20s AND lowered, it seems its VERY close to rubbing. Also, apparently I'm better off getting sway bars and strut bars to increase handling (and other parts) instead of lowering springs. So..thoughts?

1) Do most of you lower the front and back at uneven heights? Why is that?

2) Any rubbing for those who lowered 1''-1.5'' and have 20s? Is rubbing the right term? I mean if I go over any speedbump or pothole, it looks like it'll scrape the tires.

3) Think 20s will fill up the wheel well enough that lowering it will be a bit much?'

4) Spacers with SVE GT350 style wheels, yes or no?
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I wanted to lower the car because with 18s it sits a little high for me and for better handling. I'm getting 20s, and seeing some pics of 20s AND lowered, it seems its VERY close to rubbing. Also, apparently I'm better off getting sway bars and strut bars to increase handling (and other parts) instead of lowering springs. So..thoughts?

2) Any rubbing for those who lowered 1''-1.5'' and have 20s? Is rubbing the right term? I mean if I go over any speedbump or pothole, it looks like it'll scrape the tires.

3) Think 20s will fill up the wheel well enough that lowering it will be a bit much?'

I have factory 20" wheels and am worried about this as well. I plan to go with the Ford Racing Track kit which lowers the car 1". There is still a fair amount of space above the tire and fender, even with the 20"'s but I'm still worried it will sit too low. I doubt you'll have any issues it an 1" drop, I'm more concerned with it looking more "slammed" than sporty with the drop and 20in wheels. So far all the cars with drops and 20" wheels that I have seen on here look good though, the type of look that I want. I wouldn't drop it more than an inch, or I'd bottom out all the time around here. I might actually get the Ford Track shocks, struts, and sway bars, and get BMR springs, I believe they make a model that has a drop of like .50" and .75".

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Not really getting your question - tire diameter is almost exactly the same regardless whether you have 18", 19" or 20" wheels. You realize that - right ?

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
im lowered on 20x10's alll around on steeda progressives, no spacers, no running

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I'll have to dig up a picture, but with spacers and being lowered, I have right at one finger of clearance between my quarter panel and the rear tire.

No issues on very bumpy roads. No rubbing. Nothing.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Lowering has nothing to do with wheel size.
You can have 20's and massive wheel gaps looking bad.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'll have to dig up a picture, but with spacers and being lowered, I have right at one finger of clearance between my quarter panel and the rear tire.

No issues on very bumpy roads. No rubbing. Nothing.
It shouldn't rub as long as you have enough clearance.
The suspension travels on an arc so when you hit a bump, then wheels actually tuck into the fender.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Lowered on BMR springs with 1" spacers and not even close to rubbing.
IMG_0039.jpg

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
It shouldn't rub as long as you have enough clearance.
The suspension travels on an arc so when you hit a bump, then wheels actually tuck into the fender.
Yes I am aware. I meant that as a "tucked" can be functional argument. :thumbsup:

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
Another pic
IMG_0040.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Thanks all. Anyone else? Any pics of 20s NOT lowered?

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
My car is lowered, has 20's with 305 Drag Radials(a little taller than a lower profile tire) on the rear and no rubbing issues. It's a tight fit, but works perfectly fine.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)