Sponsored

Do Flowmasters Outlaw axle back have drone issues ?

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6, Race Red, 051a, Auto, CAI: Roush
Hi Folks,

Confused between lot of axles back out in the market. What i like is deep rumbly sound. I have did quite bit of online research and fixed on flowmasters outlaw as they seem bang for the buck.

But I do see some drone issues with this axle back system.

Please can some one explain what do you mean by droning issue (apologies for my ignorance ):headbonk:. How bad is this drone issue with flowmasters outlaw.

All your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.!! :)
Sponsored

Bronsoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang
I think all Flowmaster systems have bad drone. I have Flowmaster 10 series mufflers, which is the same as their "American Thunder" setup. Drones like crazy, but they sound VERY good. Gives off a nice, deep, muscular sound. I'm sure if you leave the factory resonator on, drone won't be as bad.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
They don't call them Dronemasters for no reason lol In all seriousness I have a muffler delete (no mufflers) and it sounds great and makes almost zero drone, sounds near stock when cruising in sixth. If you're looking for bang for your buck go with a muffler delete it will cost roughly $160 and sound great. I'm going to be getting a custom H-pipe made tomorrow and will report back with how that goes, just a muffler delete is a bit too quiet for me.

OP
OP
racinreddy

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol ... drone masters haha.. :D

I chose to go with outlaw as they were cheap. But now I think of saving mayself somemore money and go for Borla Stinger axle back.

Any idea how do they sound for a V6 stang. (Do I get close to V8 RUMBLE AND GROWL :p)

OP
OP
racinreddy

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick question: Will axle back exhaust installation void my factory warranty as my car is just 5 months old now. I believe factory warnenty is upto 5 year or 35000 miles

Sponsored

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Lol ... drone masters haha.. :D

I chose to go with outlaw as they were cheap. But now I think of saving mayself somemore money and go for Borla Stinger axle back.

Any idea how do they sound for a V6 stang. (Do I get close to V8 RUMBLE AND GROWL :p)
You will not get close to a V8 because you're missing 2 cylinders. I was like you, in search on deep tone (V8-ish), no drone sound. It's just not going to happen so accept the reality early.

What you will gain is a pretty damn good V6 sound (check out V6 sound compilations on YouTube as this is your world now). I personally went with ATAK axlebacks and love them. They are plenty loud 3K+ RPM, low drone (although annoying) cruising in 6th (under 2K RPM).

The guy who posted a review of ATAK catback has videos in there. Take that sounds and reduce it slightly in your head - there is your S-Type sound.

BTW if you want a "cheap" version of the catback, buy a GT axleback and install a GT stock catback. You'll go from 2.25" to 2.5" pipe resonator back and save $$$

Honestly, it's hard being in a V6 as we get very little aftermarket love, but we make due.

As for the warranty, it should not void it, but don't take my word for it. If you want a concrete answer speak with your service department.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Quick question: Will axle back exhaust installation void my factory warranty as my car is just 5 months old now. I believe factory warnenty is upto 5 year or 35000 miles

Axelback will void your exhaust warranty but wont affect anything else. For example if your transmission goes out or your motor blows they shouldn't give you a problem for having an axelback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red v6 3.7L 3.15 diff
They don't call them Dronemasters for no reason lol In all seriousness I have a muffler delete (no mufflers) and it sounds great and makes almost zero drone, sounds near stock when cruising in sixth. If you're looking for bang for your buck go with a muffler delete it will cost roughly $160 and sound great. I'm going to be getting a custom H-pipe made tomorrow and will report back with how that goes, just a muffler delete is a bit too quiet for me.
Where are you from that it's not illegal to have deletes. Have to get the car inspected in Missouri and it won't pass without mufflers not to mention if pd checks it is a hefty fine. Already checked into it and found no exhaust shops that would even consider it as an option.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Where are you from that it's not illegal to have deletes. Have to get the car inspected in Missouri and it won't pass without mufflers not to mention if pd checks it is a hefty fine. Already checked into it and found no exhaust shops that would even consider it as an option.

Live in Cali. Never talked about legality lol in terms of shops doing it you could have a shop do a full straight pipe. Its not illegal for them to do it it's illegal for you to have it. That being said mufflers don't effect smog so the only issue is the sound so as long as you dont go around the streets at WOT you should be fine. I'm going for a resonator delete tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taikien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MUSTANG V6
YES I HAVE THE MASTERFLOW AXLE BACK WITH OEM RESONATORS STILL GETTING BAD DRONE.I ALSO WILL BE INSTALLING 2 VIBRANT RESONATOR THIS WEEKEND.:clap2:

Sponsored
OP
OP
racinreddy

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I could live with little bit of drone but from above comments I feel that that flowsmasters are pretty drony after all. I would be probably going for Borla S-type which are considerably less drony. :)

OP
OP
racinreddy

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So even Borla axle backs have the drone ?? i always through borla had built drone free exhaust systems. :O

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Metallic V6 Auto
Go to magnaflows web site & read their fact section on warranty, No it shouldnt void it.......

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
So even Borla axle backs have the drone ?? i always through borla had built drone free exhaust systems. :O
I mean yes, you will have 'drone' on anything that is not stock. Depending what you get, you will get less or more drone.

As far is what you consider 'drone' and how much tolerance you have for it, that's up to you. My ATAKs do 'drone', it's my first aftermarket exhaust ever, so I don't really have anything to compare it to (although I did sit in a WRX STI with UEL headers and a fart cannon - that's fucking drone galore). However, if I turn my music up to 10+ or I talk to someone, the 'drone' is not noticeable at all, only when I drive alone without music does it get to me.

As far as picking which Borla to get, here is how I approached it. There was 1 video of a Borla ATAK catback at the time. I thought about S-Type, but ultimately asked myself, if I get S-Type and it's not loud enough for my liking, will I regret not getting ATAK? If your answer is maybe, just get ATAKs...

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
I have the outlaws on my 3.7 s550 and they have a lot of drone. I've learned to get used to it and quite frankly, I kind of enjoy the interior noise now. If you are looking for something quiet, these are not for you.
Sponsored