Sponsored

Do 9 speaker GT350's have the subwoofer connection?

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I've searched, I've seen this alluded to, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

1) Do the 9 speaker cars have the connector someplace in the trunk for a subwoofer (I'm assuming, which is dangerous, that the wiring harness in the back is the same across all 2018 Mustangs)? If yes, any suggestions on the best way to access it?

2) Is the connector live (meaning could you connect a sub+amp and the factory head unit would supply signal, and it would get power over that same connector)?
Sponsored

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
My research plus looking at my car (2017) netted a negative answer to both those questions. The harness is different, no sub pigtails and if you were to connect it, you need the amp with subwoofer outputs enabled.

I have an OEM sub just setting in garage because this felt futile. It baffles me an OEM wouldn't just put a generic harness that allows customers to buy upgrades later. Good way to squander potential profits.

OP
OP

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks for answering. I was afraid that was the story--otherwise this board would be full of "how I used the subwoofer connector" threads. But I had hope.

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
It baffles me an OEM wouldn't just put a generic harness that allows customers to buy upgrades later. Good way to squander potential profits.
Pre-wiring is expensive and doesn't return profit to the same coffer. Especially when the sub might be purchased post sale of the vehicle.
-- I design electrical accessories for subaru and we fight for pre-wiring all the time. vehicle sales department see pre-wiring as a favor so that accessories can make money.
Sponsored