DIY Trunk Lighting (Lots of light)

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
So about 6 months ago I was working on a new safe and really wanted it lit well. I opted to go with 12v 5050 LED light strips found on eBay. They worked out really well as seen below. Anyway, I had a bit extra on one of the spools they come on. I know Diode Dynamics makes a pretty good replacement bulb but on its best day, doesn't really do a "great" job. It's about as good as they get but I needed more light. Like me, a lot of you carry stuff in your trunk and if its on one side or the other you'll have to rifle through it to get what your looking for if you have small bins or whatever back there.

I wanted to use the same source but didn't want to cut or tap with scotch locs, into any of the factory wiring. Then it dawned on me that I had purchased these 12-LED squares from eBay as well that had adapters that came in the baggy with them. The 194 base and d-soldering the leads from the LED panel was what I used to make this setup detachable just in case I wanted to change something. Nothing was permanent in the car. I managed to locate them and went to work.

The LED strips I had purchased were water proof. Meaning they were completely silicone enclosed and came with a peal back 3M adhesive. Perfect! I used a length long enough to go fully side to side *UPDATE* The adhesive on these isn't good enough over time. I ended up using 3M molding tape (Same stuff comes on window vents) from the local auto parts store. Just stuck the strip to it and it to the underside of the deck lid. No more issues.
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...-x-5-ft-scotch-mount-molding-tape/196101_0_0/

I prepped the attachment area in the car with denatured alcohol to ensure good contact.

No direct light escapes the trunk. Unless you put your head up under the rear deck you cannot see any of the LEDs directly even if you put your nose on the top of the bumper. I think it came out pretty awesome.

eBay links for what I used

Light strip
Description: 5M/10M 3528/5050 SMD Waterproof 300 LED Strip Light Ribbon Tape Roll Christmas
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-10M-3528...hash=item2ee8446222:m:mZNrXPozzKjwryGh0h_U3hA
Options to choose:
Color: White
Model: 5050 SMD
Length: 5M
Package Contents: Only LED Strip Light
Waterproof: Waterproof
cheaper are available. this is just what I used

12LED Lights

These are cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10-BA9S-T4...hash=item51d09cd8b9:m:mvSBvJ6AdEyRE534uBuG5ag

Choose the 9LED option and you pay $1.05 ea or find one from a domestic seller. Basically you are just after the connectors.

The under the deck picture makes the light look 8k/10k in color but that has some to do with the DIB paint and cell phone cam. Its very white white like you see in the safe.

Hope this helps

The safe I had done:

The connectors I used:

The attachment location:

The results :) :

Sponsored

Last edited:

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Wow. Nice :cheers: The lighting in my convertible trunk is even worse. We have 1 light to the left side. That's it.

OP
OP

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
So, the connectors needed do not come with the LED strip?

Nice job by the way :)
No, not in my case. Lots of stuff on ebay though, might be an offering that works.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
That safe tho. :)
Yea, it came out nice. I really enjoy it. There's a pair of GoldenRod dehumidifiers along the bottom front edge to keep the moisture monsters away. Fortunately it came wired with power. 3*110v and 2*USB ports. Made it a breeze.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Very nice. Yeah idk what's up with just that single light on the left side of the trunk. Doesn't really do much for me. Might have to look into this pretty soon :D

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I might try this for the rear seat area of the car. It's extremely dark back there

NitroMustang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Yea, it came out nice. I really enjoy it. There's a pair of GoldenRod dehumidifiers along the bottom front edge to keep the moisture monsters away. Fortunately it came wired with power. 3*110v and 2*USB ports. Made it a breeze.
I recognize those boxes....Freedom Munitions FTW!

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Not to threadjack, but I noticed a conspicuous lack of 50 cal ammo in the safe, whats up with that? :lol:

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did the same thing! I got my led strip from www.superbrightleds.com, I soldered the leads directly to the stock bulb housing connections, then I removed the ugly yellowish bulb all together

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Some days ago I was thinking about doing something like this and then maybe made a thread here.. today I come here to check what's new in DIY section and BUM! your thread! :D
Thanks for the links, I'll check that :)

Edit: could you post a picture showing where the led strip is placed, with led off?

Last edited:

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Here in Fascist CA, most of the stuff in that safe would make you a criminal.

Any of those AR's 80% units?
Sponsored