Sponsored

DIY splitter v1.5

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just some pics of my second version of a DIY splitter. This time the core is marine plywood which should hold up better to the elements with less effort put towards sealing it from water.

The last one I made held up for a good while, but eventually picked up a visible warp which was bugging me.

3.5 off the ground at the front with some downward rake.

Splitter detaches for daily driving. This thing is inconveniently low for street use.
three quarters.jpg

The brakes are kept plenty cool with these big ducts feeding Vorshlag deflectors mounted to the control arms.
Almost finished.   Big diffuser ducts feed the brakes and help generate downforce

Did some testing to determine the underbody airflow direction with a homebew wind vane and a camera to record it at speed. This tiny hole would be widened to mount a skid puck on the bottom side to prevent bottoming out and stalling
Testing the underbody airflow direction with a coat-hanger and card stock wind vane.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Looks really good. What did you attach the rods to on the car side ?

I need to eventually make one, wish someone made one to purchase as I am too lazy currently (or more too much low hanging fruit on the driving side to bother with it).

What's the dive planes ? Saw multiple people running them now, wasn't someone protested for them at Nats ?

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Looks really good. What did you attach the rods to on the car side ?

I need to eventually make one, wish someone made one to purchase as I am too lazy currently (or more too much low hanging fruit on the driving side to bother with it).

What's the dive planes ? Saw multiple people running them now, wasn't someone protested for them at Nats ?
idk about nats protests. Nobody protested for /that/ last year at least. There was some butt hurt about other aspects of a couple splitters which nearly drew a protest. Those cars made changes overnight to avoid the risk of getting protested and both went plenty fast the next day.

With some of the Camaros coming with canards stock, I would think that would be an awkward thing to protest. Wings/spoilers are mentioned in the rules but what I heard was than canards were informally allowed. Idk tho. First rule of CAM club is don’t ask questions about the rules in CAM club.

the support rods are attached to rivnuts in the bottom of the crash bar, with some threaded rod stock to drop down through holes I cut in the top of the plastic gril. That part of the build has worked well. The threaded rod stock is sometimes the weak point in the system and I’ve had to replace bent ones before. I’ve also fragged the support rods themselves.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
idk about nats protests. Nobody protested for /that/ last year at least. There was some butt hurt about other aspects of a couple splitters which nearly drew a protest. Those cars made changes overnight to avoid the risk of getting protested and both went plenty fast the next day.
Right -actually all the protests ended up being published at the end of the results pdf. Entertaining to read. I remember them asking for two cars to stay in impound, wasn't sure what actually happened. Have two local cars running here with GT500 replica wings from Anderson. Looks cool.

the support rods are attached to rivnuts in the bottom of the crash bar, with some threaded rod stock to drop down through holes I cut in the top of the plastic gril. That part of the build has worked well. The threaded rod stock is sometimes the weak point in the system and I’ve had to replace bent ones before. I’ve also fragged the support rods themselves.
Thanks - helpful. Rods were bend from aero force on the splitter I assume, not hitting something with it ?

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Right -actually all the protests ended up being published at the end of the results pdf. Entertaining to read. I remember them asking for two cars to stay in impound, wasn't sure what actually happened. Have two local cars running here with GT500 replica wings from Anderson. Looks cool.

Thanks - helpful. Rods were bend from aero force on the splitter I assume, not hitting something with it ?
No, I've only damaged rods from clearance issues on the street. The mount setup I have is good to at least 135 mph (Circuit of the Americas)

Sponsored

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
Question. I may just be missing something but how did you determine under body flow with the wool tuft on top? And any pictures of it from the video at speed? I have a really good idea of the angle it would probably see but always like to see real world stuff.
Also, quick side note, we have a tunnel setup just for the S550 that would about double the splitter tunnel volume of your current tunnels if you were searching for more front Df.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Question. I may just be missing something but how did you determine under body flow with the wool tuft on top? And any pictures of it from the video at speed? I have a really good idea of the angle it would probably see but always like to see real world stuff.
Also, quick side note, we have a tunnel setup just for the S550 that would about double the splitter tunnel volume of your current tunnels if you were searching for more front Df.
Thanks. Next time I make one I'll see if I can fit your tunnels.

The 'airflow gauge' its a small hole with a coat hanger wire bent in a Z shape and a card vane on the long end under the car for drag. I was going to put one of the mounting holes there anyway so a small pilot hole was fine to drill. This let me film from the top.

Definitely could watch the small end on top wiggling around on video. In corners the mass of the coat hanger wire was probably moving it, but in a straight line I think it was pretty accurate, if not too precise. No real spoilers but the airflow seemed pretty close to straight w/r/t the direction the car was travelling. Maybe some small deflection, but not much.

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
Ah got ya. Thats pretty slick! looking at it closer I can now see that its a little piece of metal. I originally thought it was just a piece of string like a normal wool tuft test.
Sponsored