Sponsored

DIY Intercooler install (without taking bumper off on EU-model)

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Installed my intercooler today! This one: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/cooling/ford-front-mount-intercooler-mustang-ecoboost-2015-2016

Since basically every video (besides MAP's video) about the intercooler install on the EB, Cobb's manual and some members on the US forum all say it's easier to take the bumper off, that was my strategy for the day. So I followed the manual (this one: https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PRS/COBB+Tuning+Ford+Ecoboost+Mustang+FMIC) that comes with the intercooler even though I actually was crying on the inside cause I didn't want to take my beautiful yellow bumper off. But you know, I don't know anything about mechanics so I figured I should play it safe. Until step 8. That bolt was an absolute bitch. So bad I just gave up and did the install like I install Ikea furniture: by throwing away the manual, then end up with a perfect chair and a bunch of screws I've no idea where they should have been :shrug:

Honestly, it was easy after that (besides the piping, that was a bitch). There was no need AT ALL to get the bumper of. I think it's because the EU model doesn't have the grill shutters, cause honestly, we have just so much space in there.

So in case anyone else wants to put a bigger intercooler on the EU-model but doesn't like taking the bumper off, I definitely recommend Cobb's intercooler and here's the steps I ended up doing (see manual):

1. Put it on a lift. A lift is just pure gold. I want one for christmas. I don't think I'd have done it within 5 days of non stop work on jack stands.

2. Taking the stock intercooler out: first I did step nr3. Skip 4 and 5. Then do nr6. I found there were much more bolts than the manual indicates in nr6 though. Then skip 7 til 11. You can just go straight to nr12. Then 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18.

3. Putting the new intercooler in: just all steps. 1 to 12. Step 5 is a bitch though. Just pray to the Ecoboost Gods and you'll be fine. :first:

I've no idea if it's going to be that easy to fit in other brands though. In case you'd like to compare sizes between brands, this is what CJPP says: "this intercooler’s core size is a massive 20” x 5.9" x 5.9" versus the factory core size of 20.6” x 5.75” x 3.25”. And as you can see in the pic, it's massive compared to stock indeed but also shorter. Probably why it went in so easy.

Anyhow, hope I helped someone :cheers:
IMG_1953.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: