The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Hi guys!
I know we already have a similar thread from [MENTION=14834]John577[/MENTION] but actually he swapped EU fog lights with an aftermarket version so it's not the same :D, so I think to open a new thread.

In the long wait for our cars, we had a long discussion here on the forum about all the lights differences between US and EU models. Besides all the other lights, the fog lights are different too.

US fog light is LED, with a nice white light and a cool look.
EU fog light is halogen, with yellowish light and a '90s look. More, since tribar drl are disabled here :paddle:, we have drls in fog lights, with a second bulb fitted in the same housing. Weird :crazy:

So, among other things, I always thought to replace EU fog with US led version. Checking online, prices are crazy (over 400$ EACH from dealer, over 100$ from online vendors\ebay), also considering that I never use fog lights... :ninja:

However, some time ago a good mate here on the forum, that was reading our discussion about fog lights, offered its spare fogs for a bargain and I ended up getting them. Thanks [MENTION=12448]pinero61[/MENTION] ! :first:

Here they are!

I used Stackry for collecting a bunch of stuff from US and get it all together in a single delivery (thanks Stackry): I have many items to install so I need to remove bumper only one time (I hope this is the last time...)

These are our weird fog lights:

After removing the bumper (with my wonderful GUIDE :D) you have only three screws to remove for freeing the fog light.

(I forgot to take a picture now.. can I borrow one from your thread John? Yes? thank you! :cool:)

Then I made a small comparison between the two:

The good on the right, the ugly on the left

You can see the connector for drl on the bottom and the connector for fog light on the back

And I did some lab tests too :lol:

EU (halogen)

US (led)

The pattern is the same but looking at the light when on the led version is nicer to see - not to mention the light color temperature. Also, you can see how different is the current consumption. This worried me a bit about the car not sensing then when on and maybe cutting power, but hopefully they works :)

OK now installing the new lights (these are a direct fit, no modding required - even the connector is the same), doing a ton of other stuff (other threads will follow) and putting bumper back on.

(oh yeah I'm spoilering the new switchbacks! Whoaaa :headbang:)

In my opinion these are really beautiful, not to mention comparing it to the crappy EU version.. The simil-rectangular shape is very cool!

Some daylight pics:

Light output is higher, now if I turn them on I can see the light they make! With the standard EU crappy fogs, I can't notice if they are on or off.

My advice? It's a big improvement in look, even when off. When on they are beautiful, and probably will also work better with fog :)

Now I need the beautiful rear led fog light recently installed by John..!
:cheers:
Sponsored

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Again a very nice mod. Like the angel eye setup from YLG A as well and also what NewmustangDE did. As I swapped original DRL's to LED ones I'll stick with these for the time being.

What's the story on the switchbacks, finally found something that works for EU cars?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
What's the story on the switchbacks, finally found something that works for EU cars?
yes, they works and are really cool! Will post info tomorrow :)

Edit: cool and cheap :D

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
yes, they works and are really cool! Will post info tomorrow :)

Edit: cool and cheap :D
Nice mate. As always :thumbsup:
No problem for the pic, I also stole you a pic last time for one of my thread :ninja: :D
Now you have a REAL fog light :)

I'm impatiently waiting your feedback on the switchback.
How is it with the brightness ? Will it be a problem by night ?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
they are bright, but I can't see a problem for incoming drivers.
The dual level brightness is not needed in my opinion, since there are very few moments when you drive with only parking lights on. Most of the time you have lights off (so switchback off) or lights on (with parking, headlights and switchback on).

After lunch I will open a new thread.. I already uploaded videos on youtube - I need the entire night for 1 minute video.. :-\

Sponsored

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they are bright, but I can't see a problem for incoming drivers.
The dual level brightness is not needed in my opinion, since there are very few moments when you drive with only parking lights on. Most of the time you have lights off (so switchback off) or lights on (with parking, headlights and switchback on).

After lunch I will open a new thread.. I already uploaded videos on youtube - I need the entire night for 1 minute video.. :-\
In my case, the switchback will be on all the time. Don't put the cable to the parking light but to the +12v from the wipers motor (I need a new DRL as the tri-bars are crap...). So the switchback will be on all the time the car is on (Day & night).

Impatiently waiting on your thread :headbang:

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Obviously it's temporary until you fix the real DRL :D
One question for you John: I noticed in your fog lights thread that you show fog lights without headlights. My fog lights can't be switched on if headlights are off :shrug:

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously it's temporary until you fix the real DRL :D
One question for you John: I noticed in your fog lights thread that you show fog lights without headlights. My fog lights can't be switched on if headlights are off :shrug:
You need to put the light switch to the "parking light" position. Then you can switch the front fog light on without headlights.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
mmm I was pretty sure to have tried this without luck... will try again today.

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking about different configuration for France and Italy, maybe for some legal reason - but it sounds strange!

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
yep, moreover ford wanted to made the same model for half the world.. I'll check today.

yellowpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shane
Vehicle(s)
2016 manual triple yellow with gt stripes
Hi Stefano,

How did you manage to do switch back indicator mate.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Patience young padawan, patience.. :D
I'm doing a new thread about that.
[MENTION=14834]John577[/MENTION] you're right, fog lights work with only parking lights too :)
Sponsored