Diode Dynamics DRL/Demon Eye Wiring Issue

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey everyone, forgive me if this question has been asked before but I am new to the forum and didn't think I saw the answer to my question.
So I recently purchased a gt350 and it's fantastic but the previous owner performed the Diode Dynamics headlight mods using what I guess could be considered the old method by baking the headlight and continuing that way. After a engine repair was performed on the vehicle at the dealership the drivers side lights are all out of whack. The demon eye acts like it's not able to display the green led and the drls all do their own thing for the most part. I only have a picture of me trying to get the lights to display green. I don't have any information on the wiring or where to begin looking. I'm just hoping it has something to do with the controller or a loose connection outside of the headlight housing but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
20200502_122503.jpg
Sponsored

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Most likely bad connections. The engine had nothing to do with the chips inside the headlights which leaves the drivers, controller and physical wire connections. It's pretty straight forward. Do you have two separate controllers for your demon eyes or are the demon eyes and DRLs tired together?

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Most likely bad connections. The engine had nothing to do with the chips inside the headlights which leaves the drivers, controller and physical wire connections. It's pretty straight forward. Do you have two separate controllers for your demon eyes or are the demon eyes and DRLs tired together?
Thanks for the reply, I really need to take the front fascia off because it's pretty tight in the engine bay and the wires to the drivers side headlight are routed near the radiator. I'll poke around at it some this weekend to see if I can find anything weird. From what I saw it seemed like they're both tied together I only found one of those white controller boxes in the engine bay.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
I'd reach out to DD customer service and ask for their input. Their service is great and even if you're not the original purchaser, I would be surprised if they wouldn't point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Last edited:

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Thanks for the reply, I really need to take the front fascia off because it's pretty tight in the engine bay and the wires to the drivers side headlight are routed near the radiator. I'll poke around at it some this weekend to see if I can find anything weird. From what I saw it seemed like they're both tied together I only found one of those white controller boxes in the engine bay.
Np. What I meant was when you open the DD app on your phone, do you only see one device\controller appear? And if you do and you then set a color do the gills\demon eyes always go all the same color? Aka you cant control the gills\demon eyes individually?

Also are the gills triggered manually everytime? Or is it tapped into the DRL wire so they turn on everytime the car is unlocked\running? In that case, do the Demon Eyes always turn on as well? Answering those questions will help me understand your wiring setup to further help diagnose your issue or conclude its definitely wiring\losewiring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'd reach out to DD customer service and ask for their input. Their service is great and even if you're not the original purchaser, I would be surprised if they wouldn't point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Thanks man. I did reach out to them and they were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. However, the guy I was talking to said it's more than likely one of the little black driver boxes I think is what he called them. He suggested I look at all the wiring and maybe swap out a box with another on the problem side. So I guess I'm not going to get out of having to take the front fascia off... Fml

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Np. What I meant was when you open the DD app on your phone, do you only see one device\controller appear? And if you do and you then set a color do the gills\demon eyes always go all the same color? Aka you cant control the gills\demon eyes individually?

Also are the gills triggered manually everytime? Or is it tapped into the DRL wire so they turn on everytime the car is unlocked\running? In that case, do the Demon Eyes always turn on as well? Answering those questions will help me understand your wiring setup to further help diagnose your issue or conclude its definitely wiring\losewiring.
So I've been messing with it a little bit today and I guess I have an older version than the one you're referencing. I've attached a bunch of pictures that maybe could shine some light to the issue. I talked to DD customer support and he mentioned it could possible be one of the black driver boxes for the DRL's/Demon eyes. I know they're in there but it's so tight in the engine bay that it looks like I'm going to have to take the front fascia off which I really wanted to avoid.

The lights aren't controlled by Bluetooth it's a little white touch controller and they only come on when I turn them on with the remote. They cannot be controlled individually, the demon eyes and DRL's are always the same color.
I don't get white stock white DRL's when the car turns on. I do have stock white headlights though which is good for now until I get this figured out. Here are some more pictures showing the controls I can see right off the bat and a little more info on the issue. The middle drivers side DRL will not display anything except green or colors that use the green channel and the demon eye will display everything except green. I checked voltages at the white controller and they looked good, it's definitely something after that. I'm going to look into pulling the front fascia off at this point.
20200522_163334.jpg
20200522_163449.jpg
20200522_163356.jpg
20200522_163501.jpg
20200522_163455.jpg
20200522_163538.jpg
20200522_163531.jpg

Last edited:

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Good thing is taking the front bumper cover off isn't too difficult. You will want an extra set of hands once it's loose so you can each lift one side off and away from the car. I think there's a CJPP video out there. Just be gentle with the tabs on the cover that attach to the front fenders, and make sure you have removed the screw on each side that holds the cover to the fender before you go to pulling. I've had mine off probably 3-4 times at least and I haven't had any issues, thankfully.

IIRC the boxes you are looking for will only be about 1.5"x2.5" give or take, so they can be tucked away pretty well.

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Good thing is taking the front bumper cover off isn't too difficult. You will want an extra set of hands once it's loose so you can each lift one side off and away from the car. I think there's a CJPP video out there. Just be gentle with the tabs on the cover that attach to the front fenders, and make sure you have removed the screw on each side that holds the cover to the fender before you go to pulling. I've had mine off probably 3-4 times at least and I haven't had any issues, thankfully.

IIRC the boxes you are looking for will only be about 1.5"x2.5" give or take, so they can be tucked away pretty well.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey everyone,
I figured I would make an update to this thread just in case anybody else has a similar issue down the road. I finally got the time to devote a weekend to looking at this out and I'm happy to report that I was able to figure out the issue.
Turns out it was a variety of loose connections. (see attached pictures)
20200925_174752.jpg

The issue was in one of the wires coming off of the driver's side led controller modules.
20200925_181451.jpg

You can see here the pins for certain color channels were backed out and not making a solid connection in the male plug.
20200925_181507.jpg
20200925_181549.jpg

This was the connection issue for the demon eyes. Unfortunately, the DRL connection issue is inside of the headlight and I can't access it. I was able to seemingly fix it by pulling tight on the wires and removing all the slack inside the light. After tightening everything back up it looks like it's holding but we'll see. At the very least the green channel is holding strong so I'll always have that.

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice I really appreciate it! If anyone has any issues similar to mine and would like some assistance you can PM me.

20200925_182314.jpg

Lookin' good :party:
20200927_115115.jpg
20200927_115129.jpg
Sponsored