Sponsored

Difficulty of Installing Stripes?

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
To those of you who installed your own stripes (specifically stripes ordered from Bigworm), how difficult was the entire process? Is it just a matter of it being very time consuming or is it genuinely difficult? I'm looking to order a set of stripes soon but want to figure out what i'd do about the install first. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
like most things. The 3rd and 4th time are easy compared to the 1st.

cwh19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Its much harder than you think it will be. And no matter how well you do, since you are doing them, you will always spot your own mistakes. Even if they look perfect to everyone else.

OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Its much harder than you think it will be. And no matter how well you do, since you are doing them, you will always spot your own mistakes. Even if they look perfect to everyone else.
I hear you, but I cant stomach the idea of paying $500+ (based on quotes i've seen floating around) for the install. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would assume that 99% of the difficulty is getting then straight and positioned correctly. Once temp taped with painters tape (or however temp marked- grease pencil or what not) in position its a matter of pulling off the backing and smoothing it down with a squeegee

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I did not find it to be very difficult, and I'm happy with the results. I took my time... probably took me 3 hours or so. However, I don't know your skill level in doing similar activities, so I have no idea how easy/difficult it would be for you.
The one caution I have, is watch out for elbows on the roof! I ended up with a couple of very slight indentations that I didn't know I created until a couple of days later. Very hard to see, but they were there alright. I've since had those repaired by a paintless dent repair company, so most of the money I saved in doing the stripe install myself I ended up giving to the repair guy... :doh:
I'm still glad I did them myself though... gives me a sense of accomplishment.
IMG_3098 b.jpg
IMG_3100 b.jpg

goodwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3 to 5.0 to 2.9
DONT DO IT YOURSELF

just dont, i just let someone install it for me and i tried to make it easy for the guy to install by buying the precut kit from bigwormgraphix it took him 4-5 hours to align and install all the different pieces the kit came with
aa.jpg

OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Thanks everyone. I may have found a local guy who will do the install with his own materials at a very reasonable price. We'll see how this works out, but for now it looks like I won't be doing the install myself.

goodwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3 to 5.0 to 2.9
Although it would be a awesome learning experience to do it yourself and a sense of accomplishment but if you mess up a kit they cost 200 shipped from all the websites I've done research on

Can I ask you how much the shop will charge you using their own material and install ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I haven't spoken to the guy yet, but a fellow forum member who saw this thread reached out and provided the recommendation and said it's $350.

3AlarmStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White EcoBoost Auto
The toughest part is lining them up. Laying them down (as long as it's a premium air release vinyl) is very easy.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
>=2005 muscle cars - camaro, mustang, challengers
We can sell the different pieces by themselves, so if you mess up a section or are not happy with it later you do not have to order another complete kit. Doing the install in a clean area is also important, a small bug can make a big mess under the stripe or a small piece of dirt will cause a small bump under the stripe.

OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
We can sell the different pieces by themselves, so if you mess up a section or are not happy with it later you do not have to order another complete kit. Doing the install in a clean area is also important, a small bug can make a big mess under the stripe or a small piece of dirt will cause a small bump under the stripe.

Thank you. I'm literally dying to give you my business as your product is top notch and its clear that your customer support is unmatched. If for whatever reason I don't visit the local guy referred to me (tentatively scheduled for this weekend) I'll be placing an order and trying the install myself.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
New for 2016 is "over the top stripe" option at $475. But the word is "stripe", not "stripes".

I want to know if it is dual wide stripes applied at the factory? I am ready to order, but the one missing character is causing me delay.

For dual silver stripes, I would choose either Ruby Red or Deep Blue, and with bright wheels.

For DIY, I would order a Race Red, and apply my own white stripes.

Suggestions as to how I can be sure if it is one stripe or two, width, etc??
Sponsored