Did I kill my clockspring?

bluto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I did a cluster swap on my 2017 and the clockspring I received did not have a locking tab engaged so it arrived spinning. I was able to spin it over 10 revolutions in either direction. I really didn't think too much of it and went ahead with the install. Everything worked fine initially; buttons, horn, etc.

During the first drive with it I heard a strange noise and the buttons and horn no longer function. I took off the wheel and cannot see anything wrong. I re-installed everything and still no buttons or horn.

Yes, in each case I made certain all the connections were solid.

Did I kill my clockspring? Can it be salvaged? How do I know if I have it centered?
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'd contact the place you bought it from and explain what's going on. I did the the same swap on my 2017 and the new piece that has the clockspring in it had the proper, removable plastic "stop pin" installed. Once I had that piece on the steering shaft, I pulled the pin and all was well from the get-go. Good luck!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm fairly positive you snapped the ribbon cable inside the clock spring. I think from one extreme to the other, you probably have at the most 6 rotations. The ribbon cables in them get pretty packed in.

You might be able to repair it, but because it has a high propensity of fatigue, the repair might only last a few months before the solder cracked.

OP
OP

bluto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I ordered a new clockspring. Is it a straight swap or will I need to flash it with forscan?

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
The clockspring should just be a remove and replace....

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The clockspring should just be a remove and replace....
I see you have an '88 Fiero GT. Man do I miss my '86 GT. Those were outstanding cars, even with the junk chevette/x-body suspension parts that were in my '86. I had the isuzu 4-speed trans because it was an early 86 model. I owned it for about 3 years. I see another Fiero in the future for me. I drove past the Fiero plant in Pontiac a few times when I lived out that way. The Ferrari-esque flying buttresses were simply stunning.
Sponsored