Sponsored

Decklid Scratches

LightningEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Does anyone know how to remove fine scratches and swirls from the rear decklid.
Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Someone on a detailing forum mentionned he used a regular compound. He had a 2017 and now a 2018, he swears that the 2018 scratches more easily than 2017 and before.
The difficulty i think is that the compund itself can bring scratches by the dust. You need to clean the pad a lot. I did try it on my 2016 but not with good results. I wonder if you can do that a lot and if there is a kind of clear on it. So i was afraid to try it hard. I thought he was using a special compund for plastic like the kit made for the headlights when they become dull. But when i asked him he said regular compound

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Does anyone know how to remove fine scratches and swirls from the rear decklid.
It’ll keep scratching man. My car was paint corrected and ceramic coated and still the decklid developed swirls, it’s just so soft. Same with my ford gt350 spoiler. Rest of car has zero swirls.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound or Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover.
I use the Meguiars product and a Porter Cable buffer, always works great. Use a micro fiber towel to remove the residue, apply favorite wax/polish product, then use a sheeps wool bonnet to polish out.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I use the Meguiars product and a Porter Cable buffer, always works great. Use a micro fiber towel to remove the residue, apply favorite wax/polish product, then use a sheeps wool bonnet to polish out.
Lot of common confusion here. A wax and a polish are 2 very different things. A polish is used to refine a finish after a compounding and a wax provides some protection. In this case all you’d be doing in applying a wax is scratching the panel you just compounded (and in your compounding step you probably left the panel with a haze that needs to be polished). Unless you have someone apply paint protection film after correction, just accept the fine swirls.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Wash, clay, compound, polish, wax.
I’d advise against basically all of this, unless you want to have someone PPF the panel. And in that case you probably won’t need something as aggressive as a compound to remove swirls.

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
My 18 is brutal to scratch compared to my 16. I have fingerprint scratches all along the ridge....I tried a bunch of polishes, compounds, etc and only made it worse. I just stopped trying and I just learned to reach up and only pull down on the spoiler. Never touch that black crap!
Poor design material there ford!!

Sponsored

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
Spritz the pad with a little water during the compound to help lubricate the surface and use a little more product than normal.

Make sure to pre load the pad before use, after a few passes follow up with a jewel clean up pass. This goes for compounding, and whatever you follow it with.

I do not recommend clay bar for the decklid it's too soft, a mild clay pad/disk/towel/mitt would be a better bet.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I’d advise against basically all of this, unless you want to have someone PPF the panel. And in that case you probably won’t need something as aggressive as a compound to remove swirls.
You obviously haven't done much paint correction, have you?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I do not recommend clay bar for the decklid it's too soft, a mild clay pad/disk/towel/mitt would be a better bet.
If you are talking the black plastic material, absolutely don't use a clay bar on that. Painted surfaces and glass are the only places I'd use a clay bar. As I mentioned earlier, you aren't going to removes scratches from that plastic material.

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
Jeeze, I have had the best luck with my rear panel and not developing swirls or scratches. Now fitament, that's another issue.

I believe the panel, like stated above, its just molded gloss black plastic.
Sponsored