Sponsored

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions!

AGM2018

Good afternoon 6G! So I am undecided on which 19 "Stang I want to order; I have a nice daily driver (16 Nissan Maxima SR...very fun car to drive...for a sedan)..I just miss having a 'Stang. I have had five in the past...each different but enjoyable in their own manner:
1. 65 Coupe (inline 6 with 3 speed automatic) bought and restored in high school.
2. 87 GT with 5 Speed...maybe my favorite 'Stang so far.
3. 98 GT Fun car but it was sllllooowww!
4. 03 GT Fun car as well...faster than the 98 but still slow! But I loved the styling of the car
5. 15 EB PP. Very early Spain built motor that developed a "constant ticking noise" that the dealer couldn't explain or remedy. I didn't modify it at all and after 10K miles (no issues) the "constant ticking" was getting louder and worse, so I traded it in on the Maxima.

Now almost three years later, I want another 'Stang. The Maxima will be my daily driver and I live in a part of the country in which the weather can make driving a rear wheel drive sports coupe "interesting" for four or so months a year....meaning from November through February, the 'Stang won't likely see much duty, save an occasional nice day or two or a nice weekend.

Which leads me to my conundrum: which engine and which trim of 'Stang do I want and which engine and trim fits my driving wants/needs? I will say that money, Praise God, isn't really an issue. I have been at my chosen career for 25+ years (military), make a nice salary and my only child is grown...and my previous "Starter Wife" and I have been divorced for years. My expenses consist of the Maxima (which I could pay off in full today but, it is financed at 0% APR...so why pay it off early, if I am not paying interest on the loan?), food and utilities. I am, again Praise God, blessed financially. Which is why I am taking my time to ensure I make the correct decision on the 'Stang I order and purchase...and why I decided to solicit advice, opinions and, probably, a few sarcastic comments from my fellow 'Stang enthusiasts on this forum.

The 'Stang will be driven, I would estimate, around 10K miles a year at most; I have decided upon a color (Ingot Silver) and a transmission (10 Speed Automatic)...and really nothing else. Financially, a base EB with the PP makes the most sense (or maybe the Premium if I want a few more "amenities"): relatively inexpensive car, decent power, improved 2.3L engine and automatic transmission and being about 200, or so, pounds lighter than the GT over the front wheels, will "feel" a bit more nimble for daily driving. However, I am still worried that the "constant ticking" noise in the 15 EB I owned hasn't been addressed...and this makes me very hesitant to purchase another EB, even though "on paper" and "financially", this base EB is a great choice.

The base GT is the other choice that seems to fit best: V-8, automatic and 5 spoke aluminum wheels (18" though...come on Ford...offer the 19" aluminum wheels on the base GT...they are offered on the base EB!). With Ford "stiffening up" the base suspension and adding better shock absorbers on all 18 model years 'Stangs, the PP isn't a necessary option for me (I know the PP makes the V8 GT's suspension stiffer to handle a bit better, but I won't use its enhanced track features with any regularity)...it would be nice but at 4K,it isn't the "bargain" it was 4 years ago, in my opinion. Or do I "cough up" $2800.00 for the "Premium GT" with the 19" wheels and leather interior. I know that for what I will pay for either GT, a premium EB with PP, 200A interior and a few other options may be purchased cheaper. I am not "hung up" on having to have a V8 in my 'Stang...I am, however, skeptical on the 2.3L turbo engine's long-term reliability and I know from experience the stock intercooler, hot/cold side pipes and BOV are, in my opinion, cheaply made and sub-par for long-term reliability; all the components will eventually have to be replaced at some point and time during the car's life cycle for better reliability and better performance.

Sorry for the long post friends! So...what to do? Decisions...decisions...decisions! I am "leaning" towards the GT Premium: IS, 10 speed automatic transmission, 19" aluminum wheels, Enhanced Security Package, 3.55 Gears and spoiler delete. I am just "unsure" if purchasing a semi-loaded V-8 to drive for +/- 10K miles and 7 or so months a year is wise, when a 9K less base EB, with the PP and 10 speed automatic would probably suffice...and still be less expensive in the end, even with spending 2K to replace the intercooler, hot/cold side factory pipes and the BOV. So....advice....opinions...thoughts...sarcasm? Thanks for taking the time to read my post...and thanks in advance for your inputs. :ford::headbang::cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Good afternoon 6G! So I am undecided on which 19 "Stang I want to order; I have a nice daily driver (16 Nissan Maxima SR...very fun car to drive...for a sedan)..I just miss having a 'Stang. I have had five in the past...each different but enjoyable in their own manner:
1. 65 Coupe (inline 6 with 3 speed automatic) bought and restored in high school.
2. 87 GT with 5 Speed...maybe my favorite 'Stang so far.
3. 98 GT Fun car but it was sllllooowww!
4. 03 GT Fun car as well...faster than the 98 but still slow! But I loved the styling of the car
5. 15 EB PP. Very early Spain built motor that developed a "constant ticking noise" that the dealer couldn't explain or remedy. I didn't modify it at all and after 10K miles (no issues) the "constant ticking" was getting louder and worse, so I traded it in on the Maxima.

Now almost three years later, I want another 'Stang. The Maxima will be my daily driver and I live in a part of the country in which the weather can make driving a rear wheel drive sports coupe "interesting" for four or so months a year....meaning from November through February, the 'Stang won't likely see much duty, save an occasional nice day or two or a nice weekend.

Which leads me to my conundrum: which engine and which trim of 'Stang do I want and which engine and trim fits my driving wants/needs? I will say that money, Praise God, isn't really an issue. I have been at my chosen career for 25+ years (military), make a nice salary and my only child is grown...and my previous "Starter Wife" and I have been divorced for years. My expenses consist of the Maxima (which I could pay off in full today but, it is financed at 0% APR...so why pay it off early, if I am not paying interest on the loan?), food and utilities. I am, again Praise God, blessed financially. Which is why I am taking my time to ensure I make the correct decision on the 'Stang I order and purchase...and why I decided to solicit advice, opinions and, probably, a few sarcastic comments from my fellow 'Stang enthusiasts on this forum.

The 'Stang will be driven, I would estimate, around 10K miles a year at most; I have decided upon a color (Ingot Silver) and a transmission (10 Speed Automatic)...and really nothing else. Financially, a base EB with the PP makes the most sense (or maybe the Premium if I want a few more "amenities"): relatively inexpensive car, decent power, improved 2.3L engine and automatic transmission and being about 200, or so, pounds lighter than the GT over the front wheels, will "feel" a bit more nimble for daily driving. However, I am still worried that the "constant ticking" noise in the 15 EB I owned hasn't been addressed...and this makes me very hesitant to purchase another EB, even though "on paper" and "financially", this base EB is a great choice.

The base GT is the other choice that seems to fit best: V-8, automatic and 5 spoke aluminum wheels (18" though...come on Ford...offer the 19" Aluminum wheels on the base GT...they are offered on the base EB!). With Ford "stiffening up" the base suspension and adding better shock absorbers on all 18 model years 'Stangs, the PP isn't a necessary option for me (I know the PP makes the V8 GT's suspension stiffer to handle a bit better, but I won't use its enhanced track features with any regularity)...it would be nice but at 4K,it isn't the "bargain" it was 4 years ago, in my opinion. Or do I "cough up" $2800.00 for the "Premium GT" with the 19" wheels and leather interior. I know that for what I will pay for either GT, a premium EB with PP, 200A interior and a few other options may be purchased cheaper. I am not "hung up" on having to have a V8 in my 'Stang...I am, however, skeptical on the 2.3L engine reliability and I know from experience the stock intercooler, hot/cold side pipes and BOV are, in my opinion, sub-par for long-term reliability and will either have to be replaced at some point or will be replaced by an owner for better reliability and performance.

Sorry for the long post friends! So...what to do? Decisions...decisions...decisions! I am "leaning" towards the GT Premium: IS, 10 speed automatic transmission, 19" aluminum wheels, Enhanced Security Package, 3.55 Gears and spoiler delete. I am just "unsure" if purchasing a semi-loaded V-8 to drive for +/- 10K miles and 7 or so months a year is wise, when a 9K less base EB, with the PP and 10 speed automatic would probably suffice...and still be less expensive in the end, even with spending 2K to replace the intercooler, hot/cold side factory pipes and the BOV. So....advice....opinions...thoughts...sarcasm? Thanks for taking the time to read my post...and thanks in advance for your inputs. :ford::headbang::cheers:

Are you open to other options?

If so, why not sell the Maxima and get the Mustang(A higher trim level or one with more options) with 2 sets of tires. 1 set of summer tires and 1 set of winter tires. A Mustang with winter tires in snow is completely fine to get around on. This way, you won't have 2 car payments, extra insurance, maintenance, etc.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Rear drive has nothing to do with it. It's tires. If you wanted to DD a Mustang, that would be easy peasy. Were I in your shoes, I'd sell the other car and DD the Mustang

Anyways, if price is no option, then just get what you want.

FYI, the 18-19 base cars do not have a firmer/sportier suspension.

Were I in your shoes, I'd get a Premium EB with Performance Pack, and extend the warranty. If an issue arises, Ford will take care of it.

OP
OP

AGM2018

Are you open to other options?

If so, why not sell the Maxima and get the Mustang(A higher trim level or one with more options) with 2 sets of tires. 1 set of summer tires and 1 set of winter tires. A Mustang with winter tires in snow is completely fine to get around on. This way, you won't have 2 car payments, extra insurance, maintenance, etc.
EBM,

Thanks for your reply; I am "open to other options" and the one you mentioned, selling the Maxima, is one I am thinking of doing as well. I maybe a small amount "upside down" on the Maxima, because for some reason this 8th Generation hasn't held its resale value as well as the previous generations did; but, if I custom order a 'Stang, which I plan to do, and pay a little "extra" on my payments every month until the new 'Stang is delivered, I should "break even" on the what a dealer would give me for its trade in value or even make a few dollars if I sell it privately. Thanks for your input and perspective.

OP
OP

AGM2018

Rear drive has nothing to do with it. It's tires. If you wanted to DD a Mustang, that would be easy peasy. Were I in your shoes, I'd sell the other car and DD the Mustang

Anyways, if price is no option, then just get what you want.

FYI, the 18-19 base cars do not have a firmer/sportier suspension.

Were I in your shoes, I'd get a Premium EB with Performance Pack, and extend the warranty. If an issue arises, Ford will take care of it.
NoVaGT,

Thanks for your reply; and yes, tires have much to do with it, but not all. With the right set of winter/snow tires and careful/proper driving, most of the hazards of driving a high horsepower rear wheel sports coupe may be mitigated. And I will disagree with you on the 18-19 firmer suspension; Ford improved the quality of shocks and "stiffened" the suspension for the 18, vice the 15-17 models. It has been in multiple publications...and I have driven multiple 15-17 GT's...PP, non-PP, automatic and manual transmission cars...as well as several 2018 GT and EB's. The 2018 GT, especially the non PP base version, drives much, much better and less "sloppy" than the 15-17 models. Perhaps not as firm and/or controlled as the 15-17 and 18-19 PP versions BUT definitely "stiffer", more controlled and "sportier" than the non PP 15-17 GT's.

And yes, a Premium EB with PP would be a nice ride; that is what my 15 EB was.I still can't, however, "shake" the feeling that the 2.3L turbo motor just isn't reliable, even unmodified.:shrug:

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i think you already have the idea here.. my vote for the 1 car with 2 sets of wheels/tires. maybe have it clear wrapped to reduce damage to paint as i would assume the snowy roads could damage it.. but we dont ahve snow

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Question comes down to 2 things...

Do you want a v8, or turbo4..? And can you afford magneride..?

OP
OP

AGM2018

Question comes down to 2 things...

Do you want a v8, or turbo4..? And can you afford magneride..?
W3rkn,

Thanks for your reply;

1. Yes, I can afford Magnaride...but, I don't see it as a "must have option" for me, therefore I won't purchase it. I understand it is a technological marvel and what it does, but for daily commuting and occasional "spirited drives"...I don't require it.
2. And V8 or Turbo 4..that is the question, isn't it? If I knew the Turbo 2.3L four cylinder's past reliability issues were behind it, then purchasing an EB wouldn't be an issue. However, I don't know that. I do know, for the majority of the 'Stangs produced since this generation came out in 2015, the V8 has been more reliable. But, it also cost more to initially purchase as well. Round and round we go, right??:eyebulge::frusty:

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Here's my suggestion, and oddly my choice when I can get the better half in the right frame of mind.

GT base coupe (your choice of color)
Manual for me (she has an '18 GT premium with the A10). I will say that you will love the A10.
301A package (I do like the larger screen w/the mode switches)
Black Accent package (there's your 19" wheels)
Active Exhaust (Her's has this system, and damn it just sounds good)

To me this is a great little optioned car at a reasonable price that will give anyone many smiles to the gallon. Good luck on your choice.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
This is really good: 5.0 V8, 10R80, Active exhaust, Magneride and digi dash. It's the only specification '18 I have tested (mine) but its supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
I'll say one thing Doc. When I take the brides car out I put the A10 in sport mode, open up the active exhaust, and off I go. That little set up alone gives me a little tingle in my special place. :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I have a 10/2014 Spanish engine and no abnormal ticking sounds or any problems at all with the engine. The gdi engines tick, maybe some louder than others, maybe there was a problem with your engine, or maybe you are just sensitive to sound.

I have not driven the new 10 speed so I can't speak about it personally but some reviews were not favorible for the new 10 transmission so you may want to rent one for a day and drive it around.

Last edited:

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
GT PP with magride is two cars in one. I replaced my TL SH-AWD 6MT with this configuration and plan to daily drive year round in central Indiana swapping wheels/tires. It won't be as good as the SH-AWD in the snow/slush, but as good or better than the rwd BMW 335 I had before it, which was quite tolerable in the few snows we have each year. I highly recommend the heated steering wheel - it was a must have after my wife got a car with it. No gloves needed, especially if you remote start it for a minute before getting in and driving off...

I can say from experience without a doubt the PP1 Magride in "normal" setting rides softer and smoother than my TL did (but take note the TL with MT in 2010 had stiffer suspension than the ATs). Flipping it over to Sport+ or Track firms it up for canyon carving.

Also, speaking of 2 cars in one - get the active exhaust, too. Quiet mode - understated, sophisticated GT cruising that lets you enjoy the Shaker/B&O (19) when you don't want to enjoy the exhaust noise when taking a long drive. Sport+ or Track - I can give the obnoxious Harley revvers a run for their money, and that wonderful sound does elicit adolescent driving behavior if you don't watch yourself.

OP
OP

AGM2018

Here's my suggestion, and oddly my choice when I can get the better half in the right frame of mind.

GT base coupe (your choice of color)
Manual for me (she has an '18 GT premium with the A10). I will say that you will love the A10.
301A package (I do like the larger screen w/the mode switches)
Black Accent package (there's your 19" wheels)
Active Exhaust (Her's has this system, and damn it just sounds good)

To me this is a great little optioned car at a reasonable price that will give anyone many smiles to the gallon. Good luck on your choice.
This is an option I have looked at very carefully as well; the only aspect of the Black Accent Package I don't care for is the mandatory requirement to have the car's roof painted black....just not a fan on a black roof on a silver car. Were it not for that aspect, this would be a great option, because the included wheels and tires would (probably) cost more than the Black Accent Package price of $995, if purchased separately.

OP
OP

AGM2018

Get a new Bullitt when it comes out.....
The Bullitt is indeed nice BUT in my opinion, not worth the extra cost over a GT, for a specific color and a few more HP/FT-LBS of torque. To each his/her own, but the Bullitt isn't for me.:ford:
Sponsored