ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Hey Everyone,

Went into my usual dealership today and had one of the most interesting encounters I have ever had. I am considering this a PSA to new owners, or people who may not question what a dealership tells them at face value.

So I go in for the oil change and for the tire swap. No big deal. While there I asked them to look at a few things including the active exhaust which had been giving me some trouble lately. I had been seeing a yellow code on my digital dash that said Active Exhaust Not Available. It would come on randomly and the amount of time and frequency was pretty random. So when I get there today I explain the issue to the service advisor and they said they would have a look at it. So everything gets done I go up to the desk for my paperwork. I go, so what was the issue with the active exhaust? The service advisor goes, they told me that it's normal and the car knows when it is in a residential area and automatically disables the system or makes it quiet. I go, that's crazy. First off, you are saying to me the GPS is keeping tabs on my position and limiting the features of my car? She goes that is what they are telling me. I say, from a logical perspective that doesn't make any sense. Not to mention that since I have owned this car that has never happened.

So she goes and tries to find the tech who worked on my car. She can't find him so she brings out the service manager. He comes out and we get to talking. I explain the issue and he goes, does your navigation display the speed limit for your area? I was like, when I use the navigation? Yeah it does. He goes, well it is the same technology. I was like listen man, that doesn't make any sense to me.

He goes if you are so smart what do you think it is? He goes did you google it? I was like of course I did. I said there have been reports that the cables are to close to the exhaust and when the exhaust gets hot it starts to burn through the cable. I said mine must not be all the way burned through because I am getting it randomly. He goes, yeah we have had two cars in here for that problem actually. So I go what the hell is wrong with you. You just tried to tell me the car is some kind of sentient being and now you agree with the issue?

He goes you can go get under the car and take a look if you want. I was like isn't that the point of me bringing it here? He goes we are too busy right now. I said, why didn't the tech look at it earlier. He goes, I dunno he just didn't. He says write down the next time it does it and we will scan the car. It keeps the codes in the system. I said, well it has already done it why can't you scan it now? Then he goes into more about the busy season for tire swaps etc. (which is true since I am in Canada)

I know this is a lot to read, just a PSA for everyone to never let a dealership try to sell you snake oil. I thought I had found a good dealership but no matter where I go everyone is just cutting corners. I would just hope something like this would not be told to someone with less knowledge and have them believe it.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Man, what a pain.

I hope you have another dealer close enough you aren’t stuck with those assholes. That would have pissed me off. I dislike dealerships as well due to the fact you’re literally treated like a burden from the moment you walk in the door (unless you’re buying a car or paying to fix out of pocket).

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Man, what a pain.

I hope you have another dealer close enough you aren’t stuck with those assholes. That would have pissed me off. I dislike dealerships as well due to the fact you’re literally treated like a burden from the moment you walk in the door (unless you’re buying a car or paying to fix out of pocket).
Unfortunately for me I am running out of options. I have been to just about all of them in my major city and this is one of the better ones.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Unfortunately for me I am running out of options. I have been to just about all of them in my major city and this is one of the better ones.
One of the better?! Damn. Do the worst remember to put oil in your car, lug nuts back on?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The service advisor goes, they told me that it's normal and the car knows when it is in a residential area and automatically disables the system or makes it quiet.
Man they must think you're a real dumbass if they would have said that to me I would have laughed in there face. And the guy asking if you had Youtubed it tells me he was trying to get something over on you. Luckily at my dealership I'm friends with the owner if they had said that to me I'd walked over to his office and see how much he would have enjoyed there explanation.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Those damn sentient beings... when will Ford tell them to stop messing with customers active exhaust...:wink:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I definitely can but it wouldn't be covered by warranty.
So go get your car fixed by an independent, take their bill to your attorney and have him send it to the owner of your dealership. I’m sure an attorney can write a compelling letter explaining to him/her that paying the bill would be the cheapest thing they can do.
Sponsored