Sponsored

Dealer Trying to Renig on X-Plan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Perf Pack, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
SO I went to look at my car today before I take delivery tomorrow and noticed there was a $5,000 Dealer markup on my SPECIAL ORDER car. I inquired about it and said I have X-Plan and he told me "Well that's dealer discretion" whether or not we will accept it.

I told him that I asked this question BEFORE I ordered the car if this dealership accepted XPLAN and they said they did, I just have to prove it with my PIN and Membership card. I paid the $500 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit December. Sales guy said "we will discuss it tomorrow when ou come in to pick it up."

What should I do here?? Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off.:mad:
Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
My "non-refundable" deposit was a check that I gave the dealership.
They never cashed it and gave me back my check when I took delivery.
If you are in the same circumstance, perhaps you could put a stop payment on the check and never deal with the dealership again.
Of course in your situation of being Alaska, the dealership might be the only Ford dealership within driving distance.
Sounds like shady dealership tactics to me.

OP
OP
akfinfan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My "non-refundable" deposit was a check that I gave the dealership.
They never cashed it and gave me back my check when I took delivery.
If you are in the same circumstance, perhaps you could put a stop payment on the check and never deal with the dealership again.
Of course in your situation of being Alaska, the dealership might be the only Ford dealership within driving distance.
Sounds like shady dealership tactics to me.
I paid the $500 via credit card and they did charge my card back in December.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Do you happen to have anything in writing about them accepting x-plan for your Mustang? Any emails?

Best of luck. Sucks they are pulling crap like this:(

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I paid the $500 via credit card and they did charge my card back in December.
You could call your CC company, explain the situation, and they will probably reverse the charge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
akfinfan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Other than when the guy that took the special order of the car wrote down the name of the Sales guys name and phone number on the XPLAN cost sheet that I printed off the fordpartener.com website that shows the XPLAN cost at the time of order.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Threaten with negative reviews and call Ford's corporate office.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Tell dealership that it's agreed upon price or you walk. If they don't agree then you call your credit card company and explain the situation and they'll likely give you your money back and get the $500 back from the dealership. Credit cards are awesome to have used in this situation.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
You should have had a purchase agreement with all the numbers on it. Are you saying you never got that, or are you saying you gave them a deposit not knowing the final price? If they aren't honoring the original agreement in writing then tell them to pound salt and let us know what the shady dealer's name is.

OP
OP
akfinfan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should have had a purchase agreement with all the numbers on it. Are you saying you never got that, or are you saying you gave them a deposit not knowing the final price? If they aren't honoring the original agreement in writing then tell them to pound salt and let us know what the shady dealer's name is.
When I inquired about the purchase agreement for XPLAN when I ordered the car, they said that "we do that when the car actually comes in".

Sponsored

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Well, this is a dirty rotten trick for sure. In the X-plan rule book, however....

#15 - "However the Plan program is voluntary at participating dealerships."

Also, on the back of the form...there is a place for the dealer to add 'special charges' implying a markup can be added.

My only suggestion at this point (if you do not have any paperwork for what you were putting a deposit down on) is to call the Ford X-plan Info Line and rat these guys out:

1-800-348-7709

Other than that, your only recourse is to demand your money back and walk away from the car. Unfortunately....

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
There is another thing you can do if you cannot make your headway with this dealer.

#1. Make sure to get your money back. Upsetting and a total turn off to teh whole process especially for needing to wait this long...but, get that money back as top priority.

#2. This guy wanted to scratch X-plan AND charge you $5k more. LMAO...yea, right. Call my dealer in Michigan (PM me if serious) and they will find the car you are looking for. Then, fly out for all of $400 and then drive it home. I'll pick you up at the airport and drive you there myself!

Think of the once in a lifetime adventure that would be!

Edit: by the way, if you think this is totally off base it goes on all the time in the motorcycle world. I almost sold one of my BMW's to a guy in SC, sold one to a guy in MN, and sold another to a guy in LA so this goes on all the time!

OP
OP
akfinfan

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, this is a dirty rotten trick for sure. In the X-plan rule book, however....

#15 - "However the Plan program is voluntary at participating dealerships."

Also, on the back of the form...there is a place for the dealer to add 'special charges' implying a markup can be added.

My only suggestion at this point (if you do not have any paperwork for what you were putting a deposit down on) is to call the Ford X-plan Info Line and rat these guys out:

1-800-348-7709

Other than that, your only recourse is to demand your money back and walk away from the car. Unfortunately....
Yes, but this question was asked specifically when I ordered the car. Had I been told "at dealer discretion" I would not have ordered the car from them. They said that they take XPLAN and I just had to show how I qualify and provide my PIN #.

Elusive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Wow, what shady business tactics especially after waiting so long for a custom built order. I'd agree with all the others who said to call your credit card company and explain the full situation to them and that the dealer won't let you get your car at the agreed price. It's just a simple charge back process for them and I don't think you'll have any issues. It's very easy to do and they definitely shouldn't be able to keep your deposit by any means.

I was given back my deposit on a built Mustang GT from a really great Ford dealer when I decided to get a Challenger Scat Pack instead. We left on great terms and he even said he knew he could sell the mustang anyway so it wasn't a big deal to refund the deposit.

I would also report it to ford corporate and also the x plan people. This dealership should be reprimanded for that bait and switch tactic.

Sorry man. That's gotta be a horrible feeling. Hopefully you can shake some sense into them because a $5000 markup is absurd even when the Mustangs were completely brand new for the 2015 model year. Good luck with your fight. I'm sure you just want the car at the agreed upon price but it must feel strange to reward a scumbag dealer with your business.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
If this scumbag dealership really does go through with this tactic it will also be time to name & shame them... on these boards and everywhere else.
Sponsored