Sponsored

Dealer installed door edge guard - opinion?

JCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - RR
Hi all,

Really enjoying my new ride - so much fun to drive.

I was going over the car the other day and realized the dealer installed a clear tape along the edges of the doors. I know that some folks do this to protect against chips and cracks.

I'm a bit worried about how it will look over time - anyone have any opinions? I'm leaning towards removing it if I can figure out how...

Really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

JT
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Mine has it on the door edges and behind the handles. Of you want to remove it use an adhesive remover, I like TarX or 3M.

Reactions: JCT

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
Hi all,

I was going over the car the other day and realized the dealer installed a clear tape along the edges of the doors. I know that some folks do this to protect against chips and cracks.

I'm a bit worried about how it will look over time - anyone have any opinions? I'm leaning towards removing it if I can figure out how...
JT
I just added some 3M Door Edge Protection strip to mine. I mucked it up the first time and re-did it. It simply pulled-off without leaving any (visible) residue, and I imagine it will still remove easily for years to come. So if you don't like it, or it gets tatty, I've sure it will remove easily enough.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I've seen so many rust issues because of those. Water gets underneath, and salt and road grime, and it doesn't get washed away as well.

As for the tape, I'm not too sure long term. I imagine it's like clearbra.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just added some 3M Door Edge Protection strip to mine. I mucked it up the first time and re-did it. It simply pulled-off without leaving any (visible) residue, and I imagine it will still remove easily for years to come. So if you don't like it, or it gets tatty, I've sure it will remove easily enough.
Did you add the clear or matte black version? How is it holding up since your post?

Sponsored

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Seems pretty dumb on our cars. Our doors come to a point, there isn't a flat edge hitting. If you open your door into someone its just that sharp point making contact and I doubt any of the edge guard does jack.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
Did you add the clear or matte black version? How is it holding up since your post?
I used the clear type. It's holding on well. Can't say it's been tested too much (if at all) because I'm very careful.

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
My dealer added them too, they come with a lifetime warranty. I just had mine replaced a couple weeks ago because they started peeling on the edges.
Sponsored