Sponsored

Dashcam Hardwire Interfering with Radio?

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I just bought a hardwire kit and installed that to my Waylen's Horizon Dashcam.
invisicord_5vusb.jpg

I connected it according to this diagram
attachment.png

Dashcam powers up and down just fine when I turn on/off the car. But now, my radio has crazy bad static. I unplugged my dashcam and the static instantly disappears.

Anyone know how to fix this without giving up the radio or the hardwire?

Thanks.
Sponsored

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I would like to know this as well. I hardwired mine in yesterday and noticed some crackles that seem to come from the tweeter. It's not anything bad for me though.

Edit: I'll add that I used a fuse tap instead of tapping into the mirror. Typically it's a grounding issue if the static gets worse the higher your revs.

Last edited:

Paul K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Recaro
I had the same problem with radio reception when I wired my dashcam . I ended up disconnecting it because of this.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So I just bought a hardwire kit and installed that to my Waylen's Horizon Dashcam.
invisicord_5vusb.jpg

I connected it according to this diagram
attachment.png

Dashcam powers up and down just fine when I turn on/off the car. But now, my radio has crazy bad static. I unplugged my dashcam and the static instantly disappears.

Anyone know how to fix this without giving up the radio or the hardwire?

Thanks.
Try connecting to a different power wire. Try using a shielded wire for the power. Try grounding to a known, good ground wire instead of directly to the chassis.

OP
OP
Geotoxic

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Try connecting to a different power wire. Try using a shielded wire for the power. Try grounding to a known, good ground wire instead of directly to the chassis.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wiring. Where would I find what you've mentioned.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wiring. Where would I find what you've mentioned.
This is shielded cable:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

You can probably find some at your local auto parts store or automotive audio shop (Best Buy maybe?), but if not you can order online from any number of electronics supply vendors. You can probably get some on Amazon. You only need a short length, so I would try your local audio shop and beg for scraps.

The power source you're using (whatever you connected the red wire to) may be "noise," that is, it may power a device that generates RF interference, which is then broadcast via the power cable you're using. A shielded cable can help with that. Sometimes you can eliminate noise by simply twisting the power and ground wires around one another, thus creating a twisted pair:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Sometimes simply connecting to a different power source--a different hot wire--that isn't noisy will solve the problem.

Sometimes when you connect the ground directly to the chassis you create a ground loop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

You can sometimes resolve a ground loop by connecting your ground to a ground wire that goes directly back to the battery instead of connecting to the chassis of the car.
Sponsored