Dash Cam - 2018 Mustang GT PP

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I never bothered to install it. I read some bad reviews on the video quality. I ended up selling it. Now I have all winter to choose a dashcam and install it.

I'd like small discreet camera, any recommendations?
Garmin Dashcam 55 is pretty small....
Sponsored

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
IMO never record the rear of your car, you are not responsible for damage back there and if you are at fault then you won't be giving anyone evidence.
I use cams under $80 - 140 degree or more, 16 gigs or more, auto on / record when the car is started - I have won 5 cases with my camera and pending a
$1 mill lawsuit from one that is 5 years now and still waiting on the trial. My evidence, the cam. I don't lose because of it.
You want the cam to TAPE tot he windshield, not suck to it. You want it flush and out of the way.

Something like this mounts nice

https://www.target.com/p/rovi-cl-3030-flat-mount-dashcam-pro/-/A-53248420

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
IMO never record the rear of your car, you are not responsible for damage back there and if you are at fault then you won't be giving anyone evidence.
I use cams under $80 - 140 degree or more, 16 gigs or more, auto on / record when the car is started - I have won 5 cases with my camera and pending a
$1 mill lawsuit from one that is 5 years now and still waiting on the trial. My evidence, the cam. I don't lose because of it.
You want the cam to TAPE tot he windshield, not suck to it. You want it flush and out of the way.

Something like this mounts nice

https://www.target.com/p/rovi-cl-3030-flat-mount-dashcam-pro/-/A-53248420
Are you a lawyer or just get hit a lot?

If you believe you are at fault I suspect the camera gets "lost" asap?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
There is plenty of dash cam footage posted on YT where some idiot rear ended a car and tried claiming the other driver backed into them. Rear camera to the rescue.

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are you a lawyer or just get hit a lot?

If you believe you are at fault I suspect the camera gets "lost" asap?
If you are at fault you are by no means inclined to incriminate yourself and give it up willingly,
however, if you don't have it to begin with then there is no reason to worry.
if you DO have it and do not give it up, it can be requested by the courts.
I have dealt with Dashcam laws in the past.
I have used it 5 times in the past.

5 cases were:
One was I was backed into by a Truck at a car wash, $2200
Was going thru the intersection, was T-Boned by an illegal unlicensed alien, their kid had insurance $4500
Stopped in the street, on the curb and hit by a Ford F250 doing 45mph - Pending $1mill Trial
Hit in the rear at a McDonalds Drive Thru $1800 - I was not moving. - Dashcam showed I was not moving when hit, even tho no rear facing it worked.
Parked, FedEx sideswiped car, $4400
that is all over the last 8 years.
Camera Triggers all the time, off or not with motion.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you are at fault you are by no means inclined to incriminate yourself and give it up willingly,
however, if you don't have it to begin with then there is no reason to worry.
if you DO have it and do not give it up, it can be requested by the courts.
I have dealt with Dashcam laws in the past.
I have used it 5 times in the past.

5 cases were:
One was I was backed into by a Truck at a car wash, $2200
Was going thru the intersection, was T-Boned by an illegal unlicensed alien, their kid had insurance $4500
Stopped in the street, on the curb and hit by a Ford F250 doing 45mph - Pending $1mill Trial
Hit in the rear at a McDonalds Drive Thru $1800 - I was not moving. - Dashcam showed I was not moving when hit, even tho no rear facing it worked.
Parked, FedEx sideswiped car, $4400
that is all over the last 8 years.
Camera Triggers all the time, off or not with motion.
Remind me to never go riding with you. :shock:

With that record I would have thought you lived in the South and not Nevada.

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
never once my fault, 3 times the car was not moving. Keep in mind, them amounts is what I was paid for the repairs, I give them 3 estimates, I would repair the car myself. Even the Totaled mustang. I bought the car back and rebuilt it. Took 3 months of weekends, but if you have the skillset, and know how it is done, I would rather save the money and get the repairs done myself. I am ahead by over $20k stashed in my pocket.
IMG_20130828_095354_082.jpg
IMG_20130906_182316_147.jpg
IMG_20140907_173606140_HDR.jpg

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I bought one a few months ago, went with a Thinkware F800 Pro and Neo Cellink battery to power it in parking mode. Pricey but it works well and I'm satisfied with it. My reasons for getting one were a few pants shitting close calls on my daily commute and the parking situation at work.

Features that were important to me:

2 Channel (front and rear)
Quality/Reliability/Manufacturer Support
Parking mode that works
Video Quality - day and night
Memory card size

This is my first dash cam. Installation was fairly simple, definitely a DIY project.

Do a little research before pulling the trigger - two sites I found useful:

dashcamtalk.com and carcamcentral.com.
Back on topic - I just ordered this exact setup through BlackBoxMyCar.com on a Black Friday bundle sale. I had done a ton of research but was about to pull the trigger on the blackvue setup when I found your post. The links were super awesome - my problem is almost identical to yours. I have to focus on parked recording as being my biggest concern. With this setup I can record for 20-25 hrs parked and not mess with the car's battery.

I'll probably be bugging you on where you stow your Cellink Neo...

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I put the Cellink Neo in the glovebox. It's not very big, there's still room for other stuff and it made running the wiring to the fuse box easy. I bought the Cellink from BBMC along with the spliced in hardwire kit for a Thinkware camera. The other item I would recommend for the front camera is this PLC lens, it makes a big difference and completely eliminates glare and reflections off the dash. You would think a high end camera would come with one but it does not.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I put the Cellink Neo in the glovebox. It's not very big, there's still room for other stuff and it made running the wiring to the fuse box easy. I bought the Cellink from BBMC along with the spliced in hardwire kit for a Thinkware camera. The other item I would recommend for the front camera is this PLC lens, it makes a big difference and completely eliminates glare and reflections off the dash. You would think a high end camera would come with one but it does not.
Ah good to know.

Sponsored

Gizzmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Hey there,

received the Garmin Dash cam as a christmas present and saw that a few people already have installed it successfully. Iam curious: where exactly did you mount it? Maybe got a picture of the location? Iam still not sure where to place the cam in a 2018 mustang.
Thank you in advance and a Happy New Year,
Torsten

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Hey there,

received the Garmin Dash cam as a christmas present and saw that a few people already have installed it successfully. Iam curious: where exactly did you mount it? Maybe got a picture of the location? Iam still not sure where to place the cam in a 2018 mustang.
Thank you in advance and a Happy New Year,
Torsten
Well you didn't say which one. I have the Garmin 55 with the driving aids. So if you have the driving aids and you want to use them, you need to make sure you have an unobstructed view of the screen. So I would put it on the drivers side as close the the rear view mirror, with a clear view out the windshield. I say all this because I put mine behind my mirror in my jetta and then realized I needed to see the screen.

Gizzmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Oh yeah sorry forgot to tell; itā€˜s the garmin 55. i dont really need to use the driving aids...I just want to install it the way, it doesnt disturb me and is the least visible way to see it from inside.
Do I have to install it on the windshield, or would it be possible to stick it on the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror (without falling off)?

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I installed Blackvue 750 today, and I have a quick question. The passenger A pillar panel doesn't seem to go back as snug. Is there a trick or is it normal from removing? To add, I ran the wire on the seal side and behind the airbag, wire doesn't interfere with the panel or anything.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
My A pillar is about 90% as snug as it was before the wire, honestly no one will notice if you donā€™t point it out.
I have the DR650 2 channel in my 16 GT and Thinkware F770 2 channel in my 12 Focus, after using both systems for over a year I like the Thinkware A LOT better. It has better night vision and most importantly it downloads videos about 5x faster than the Blackvue. Maybe Blackvue fixed the slow download problem on the new ones? IMO the Blackvue Physically looks better but the functionality of the Thinkware trumps it. One last thing Iā€™d like to mention like others here have already, BlackBoxMyCar is awesome to do business with. I had a problem with the app on my phone and they quickly got back to me and helped me fix it.
Sponsored