CV Axles the same across all models?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by turbotigger604, Dec 10, 2019.

1. turbotigger604

turbotigger604 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle(s):
    15' ecoboost perf pack
    0   0   0
    Getting mixed answers online, do the eco,v6 and gt all have the same cv's or not. Online I see the part numbers are all the same except for the final letter. I know the rear wheel bearing/hub assemblies are the same so that would lead me to believe the spline count is the same on the tire side, but do the gt's have a higher spline count on the diff side vs the eco/v6?

Posted this in the drivetrain section and no response.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Some notes for you:

The S550 half shafts are unique to each side (L vs R) with regards to axle diameters, which may explain the variances in Ford part numbers.

There is a difference in rear pumpkin (Standard Trac-Lock vs.Torsen). There’s quite a few very good threads on this site breaking down which S550’s have what type of rear, based on model year and platform.

Possible spline count differences between platforms.

If you’re going with aftermarket axles, definitely go with the Ford Performance (made by GForce) or direct with GForce. GForce axles have been a proven success since the 2003/04 Cobras hit the streets.

3. I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 grabber blue GT PP1 convertible, 2018 blue metallic explorer sport
    0   0   0
    #3 I Bleed Ford Blue, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    I do know all spline counts are 34 on the center section end for all models of the S-550 and the v-6, eco, and GT are all the same length, but some may be stronger than others. The GT 350 axles are slightly longer (due to the different rear parking brake assembly) and stronger than the GT axles. If and when ford releases the GT-500 brakes as an upgrade kit like they did with the 350 then we will know more about the 500 axles. At this time it's too soon to know, but if I had to guess, I would say they are longer like the 350's are and even stronger than the 350 axles.

4. OP
    OP
    turbotigger604

turbotigger604 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle(s):
    15' ecoboost perf pack
    0   0   0
    Agreed, after cross checking as many websites that i could it seems that the eco/v6/GT all have a 32 spline count on the wheel side and 34 count on the diff side. I haven't come across a site yet that makes you select if you have a standard or Torsen diff, which leads me to believe that while yes the housings and internals are different, Ford kept the spline count the same so that axles could be used across all models. I could be wrong, that's just my best guess from my searching.