Sponsored

Custom Mesh Grille Project

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would 110% do this again than fork over $600+ to RaceMesh.
This is why I decided to do my own.

Read plenty of comments like this about the Racemesh product being overpriced, but then I started trying to bend my mesh and thought "hmmm, I can see why they're so much now!". :lol:

That Goop stuff is available here in the UK but it's about $25 a tube! :crazy: Still, gonna have to go with the proven solution.

So big thanks for the write-up. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Came out flawless!! Looks great brother! No worries about not bending the mesh. It'll hold just fine!

Great work and excellent Writeup!
Thanks Nick! Probably wouldn't have started if it weren't for your help :cheers:.

when i recover from paying my self employment tax and after i get another roush fascia finally again. then we'll see.
Gotta love that! I was pretty pissed when I had to pay almost $400 back this year. As if the $800 a check bi-monthly wasn't enough :shrug:.

I guess the big question then is, how difficult is it to remove the front fascia?
It's really not that bad if you are used to working on your car. Over a dozen bolts and push pins to undo. The most PITA is the two bolts holding the edges on. They are super easy to remove if you remove the whole fender liner, which is about a hand full of push pins.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
CompO5.sl0w great writeup. (Let's not talk taxes I own an S-Corp so taxes are monthly and a NIGHTMARE at year end with W-2s and 1099s and now the healthcare nonsense; my old LLC/self employment was a cake-walk in comparison).

I was going to pay for a pre-fab for about $350-390, but this may be cheaper even.

The upper and lower grills are about $105 shipped. the glue is $10-15 for a few tubes. I already have a dremel kit.

Just need to buy mesh then. So prob $200-250 tops total.

My question though is I was thinking of using the plastic diamond mesh; I like the semi-OEM clean look of it (and it's also only like $60 for the big sheet). But is there a bend/curve to the inside radius of the grill and did you have to bend a curve in the mesh to fit the curve or it is not enough of a curve that it matters and the glue held it tight to the grill surround (like it's a very very shallow bend when the glue sucked it in without any bending)?

Trying to figure out if/how one would bend plastic mesh around a curve that is .2" thick if there's a bend to the grill.

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
CompO5.sl0w great writeup. (Let's not talk taxes I own an S-Corp so taxes are monthly and a NIGHTMARE at year end with W-2s and 1099s and now the healthcare nonsense; my old LLC/self employment was a cake-walk in comparison).

I was going to pay for a pre-fab for about $350-390, but this may be cheaper even.

The upper and lower grills are about $105 shipped. the glue is $10-15 for a few tubes. I already have a dremel kit.

Just need to buy mesh then. So prob $200-250 tops total.

My question though is I was thinking of using the plastic diamond mesh; I like the semi-OEM clean look of it (and it's also only like $60 for the big sheet). But is there a bend/curve to the inside radius of the grill and did you have to bend a curve in the mesh to fit the curve or it is not enough of a curve that it matters and the glue held it tight to the grill surround (like it's a very very shallow bend when the glue sucked it in without any bending)?

Trying to figure out if/how one would bend plastic mesh around a curve that is .2" thick if there's a bend to the grill.
Wow, what a nightmare lol!

There is a curve design in the OEM grille where it meets to a point in the middle. As far as "bending" anything I didn't really have to bend the mesh. As I placed it behind the grille it was flexible enough to conform to the grille. If the mesh wasn't as flexible as it was, I'd imagine that could be a pit of a pain. As long as the plastic mesh is thin and flexible I think you'll be fine.

The glue didn't really do any sucking in, as the zip ties did that job. We used the zip ties to tighten the position of the mesh, while the Goop basically "froze" the mesh in place.

knightvision

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT "Triple Yellow"
Just to throw my 2 cents in...
I thought overall this was a VERY easy mod to do. It was just tedious measuring, cutting, and a little messy at the same time. As far as grill deletes similar to Lethal, it would take no time to do that to a stock grill. When it came to adding the mesh then it became somewhat more difficult and time consuming. Fun project.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Wow, what a nightmare lol!

There is a curve design in the OEM grille where it meets to a point in the middle. As far as "bending" anything I didn't really have to bend the mesh. As I placed it behind the grille it was flexible enough to conform to the grille. If the mesh wasn't as flexible as it was, I'd imagine that could be a pit of a pain. As long as the plastic mesh is thin and flexible I think you'll be fine.

The glue didn't really do any sucking in, as the zip ties did that job. We used the zip ties to tighten the position of the mesh, while the Goop basically "froze" the mesh in place.
Good deal.

I meant "sucking in" more like what you said, conformed to the curve if it was a slight enough curve; which is sounds like. It's only .2" thick plastic mesh and SCS here does their grills with that exact mesh, so I imagine its flexible enough.

Just to throw my 2 cents in...
I thought overall this was a VERY easy mod to do. It was just tedious measuring, cutting, and a little messy at the same time. As far as grill deletes similar to Lethal, it would take no time to do that to a stock grill. When it came to adding the mesh then it became somewhat more difficult and time consuming. Fun project.
Doesnt seem hard at all. You can get an extra set up upper and lower GT grills for $105 shipped. Dremel the backs off. The mesh is $60-120 depending on what type you get and $10-20 in glue.

Places are charging $350-400 to build it for you in any of those meshes. So you save $100+ easily doing it yourself for the time. It cant be all that difficult, just tedious/time consuming which is ok with me since Im not using the OEM set which can stay on the car while I build them.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Nice! That mesh looks really good as well. Post a pic on the car whenever you get a chance! :cheers:
Thanks! Won't have on car pics for awhile, car is up on stands all torn apart. I just pulled it out of storage and am installing the pile of stuff I had sittin in my basement...lol

Here's a pic of it in the bumper for now. I'll be installing a black/red Howler badge when they come in.

Marvelous D S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Thanks! Won't have on car pics for awhile, car is up on stands all torn apart. I just pulled it out of storage and am installing the pile of stuff I had sittin in my basement...lol

Here's a pic of it in the bumper for now. I'll be installing a black/red Howler badge when they come in.
That looks Great!!

OP
OP
CompO5.sl0w

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)

Looks good man! I plan on putting a howler badge on mine as well. I'm on the 3rd batch waiting list so who knows how long it'll be before I get it lol.

Sponsored

knightvision

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT "Triple Yellow"

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
I don't understand why CCG does not have this grille on their list yet :crazy: I got mine in December. I know they recently said it was coming out. Very easy kit and no issues with having to either cut or bend stainless steel since it is woven aluminum mesh. CCG get this on your catalog!:headbang:
DSC_2266.jpg

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Completely different style mesh. There were a couple of pre cut ones on their site. None of them looked as good as the SWAT mesh imho. :headbang:
CCG is going to be offering the SWAT mesh pre-cut in gloss black and silver very soon. I actually just received a precut SWAT mesh kit to "test" for them at a discounted price that I'm going to be installing this weekend. I would have had the mesh earlier but I had him powdercoat it matte black for me instead of gloss so it took about a week longer than it should have. I'm stoked that they're going to be offering the SWAT mesh in a precut kit, though, so people won't have to cut/bend that SWAT mesh themselves because it's a pain in the ass to deal with.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't understand why CCG does not have this grille on their list yet :crazy: I got mine in December. I know they recently said it was coming out. Very easy kit and no issues with having to either cut or bend stainless steel since it is woven aluminum mesh. CCG get this on your catalog!:headbang:
That's the same mesh I have. Not sure why it isn't listed precut on the site. All you have to do is ask nicely...lol
Sponsored