Sponsored

Critique my upcoming detail plan

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
Hey all, I’m a bit of a noob with all these new products (I’m used to Zaino and wasn’t happy with CG Jetseal) so I want to make sure my process is on point. I’m going to detail my grabber blue 2017. I did a bit of research and have some experience claying and applying but not necessarily correcting swirls.

1. Wash car using 2 bucket method.
2. Clay using an Nanoskin auto scrub fine grade sponge and lube (not sure what to use for the lube).
3. Rewash using 2 bucket method.
4. Polish using Meguiars M205 to remove swirls. Not sure what applicator to use. Can I apply by hand with good results? I have access to a PC 7424.
5. Apply Jescar power lock with Adams yellow applicator pad. Buff off.
6. Apply 2 coats Collinite 845 with Adams red pad.
7. Maintain with P&S Beadmaker.

edit: after some additional research- I’ve now discovered Turtle wax and Meguiars hybrid ceramic sprays. Now I’m a bit lost. I’m looking for high gloss with some longevity... is the power lock and 845 still a good route?

2nd Edit- After watching some more videos and doing some more research I know Power Lock and 845 is a proven combo. I'm iffy on the Beadmaker due to longevity concerns, so i'm going to remove that for cost purposes. From a time and cost perspective I don't know if I have either right now to invest in pads and additional products to do a proper correction, so i'm thinking do a glaze after clay. The swirls aren't that bad and I can always do a correction next time around. I kind of want to try either the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax or CG Hydro slick (in bottle form, not spray). I also have a bottle of CG Glossworkz Glaze already on hand from my last wash and wax.

2. Clay using an Nanoskin auto scrub fine grade sponge and lube with a quick detailer or water/soap from wash.
3. Rewash using 2 bucket method (if needed, I was advised this would be unnecessary)
4. Apply glaze to fill in some swirls.
5. Apply hybrid ceramic wax.
6. Maintain with whatever product offered to keep up the protection and beading.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Hey all, I’m a bit of a noob with all these new products (I’m used to Zaino and wasn’t happy with CG Jetseal) so I want to make sure my process is on point. I’m going to detail my grabber blue 2017. I did a bit of research and have some experience claying and applying but not necessarily correcting swirls.

2. Clay using an Nanoskin auto scrub fine grade sponge and lube (not sure what to use for the lube).
4. Polish using Meguiars M205 to remove swirls. Not sure what applicator to use. Can I apply by hand with good results? I have access to a PC 7424.
Since you are using the traditional 2 bucket wash, you can use the clean soapy water bucket as clay lube. Just make sure the panel is lubricated, use the wash mitt to squeeze soapy water onto panel. Otherwise if you have some rinseless wash concentrate such as ONR or UberRinseless that makes a great clay lube once diluted and my recommendation.
You won't get results with polishing by hand. Use the DA.
Powerlock and the 845 is a good combo.
Haven't used beadmaker but people seem to like it.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

For a Clay lube, use an good quality Quick Detailer, or as suggested, use your normal car wash solution (preferably a fresh bucket to avoid potentially introducing debris from the wash process.) Sticking with Meguiars, something like this - https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-a3332-quik-detailer-mist-wipe-32-oz

Seeing as you intend to polish by hand, perhaps swap M205 for something like these, again sticking with Meguiars as an example -
https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-polish-g19216-16-oz-liquid
https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-compound-g17216-152-oz-liquid

Both are listed for use by hand or machine.

By all means use Beadmaker, however Collinite 845 all by itself is an amazingly slick product.

Pic's with the end result compulsory :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Clay using an Nanoskin auto scrub fine grade sponge and lube (not sure what to use for the lube).

After washing the car.........
Water, read the directions for clay bar usage. Wipe the surface the clay bar picks up the garbage , As you use it you will notice trash, fold the clay bar. Kneed it to flatten it out and continue. Letting it set in the sun to soften works wonders.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
You won't get results with polishing by hand. Use the DA.
I’ve used one before but I’ve always been a bit lost on what pads to use with what product. I just want to get rid of fine swirl marks. Any recommendation?

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE="BigChief, post: 2935663, member: 27213"]I’ve used one before but I’ve always been a bit lost on what pads to use with what product. I just want to get rid of fine swirl marks. Any recommendation?[/QUOTE]

Swirl marks are in the clear, using a circler motion. Hand applying past wax can produce them, and a reason. It's recommended, back and forth or side too side application be used.

For some reason folks seem to think using force, applying wax is a good idea? Wax is not ground into the paint it lays on top.

Anyone ever spit shinning boots will understand this LOL

DAs & Buffers if pressed hard on the surface will get one in trouble real fast. So not a great idea to start learning using a tool like that .

Get used to the process and learn what to expect. Getting all the wax completely removed is the challenge, producing the shine. Can take a few wipe downs, so be ready.

Cheers

scotdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black GT Premium
I’ve used one before but I’ve always been a bit lost on what pads to use with what product. I just want to get rid of fine swirl marks. Any recommendation?
Take a good look at your swirls under a bright LED flashlight if you have one. If they are pretty bad, an orange pad is the best choice - it offers light cutting (scraping microscopically, won't hurt your paint). If the swirls are really light you can use the green pad, I have a new 2019 black Mustang with dealer installed swirl marks and the green pad worked beautifully for me.

I do agree with others here, use the DA polisher by all means. It took me about 4 hours with the Griot's Garage DA to do one good pass on the entire car, I can't imagine the effort you'll need to do it by hand.

And if you really want to be complete in your paint correction, consider using a fallout remover like Iron X or others as your first step before washing. It works great at getting the iron particles and brake dust off your car so you don't polish them into the paint.

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Are you supposed to rinse or wash after the clay step? Are you supposed to rinse or wash after the polishing with the DA?

scotdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you supposed to rinse or wash after the clay step? Are you supposed to rinse or wash after the polishing with the DA?
You've already washed the car once, and then again if you are using a soapy water solution as your clay lube (recommended because who needs to buy more stuff?). No need to wash again, just rinse and dry.

After you polish with the DA, it all depends on your next step. Is polish the only step? Then just wipe off the dust with a microfiber towel and you're good to go.
Are you going to apply some kind of sealant? Many sealants or ceramic coatings suggest a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol mixed with water (IPA) in a spray bottle. Wipe off and dry in the same step with a microfiber towel.
Are you old school and going to wax? Wipe off the dust with a microfiber towel and begin again with the DA polisher and wax of your choice.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Recommend using a decon soap if your proceeding down the path of polishing. Something along the lines of Obsessed Garage Decon Soap, or something that has a little more Alkaline/PH +. For clay lube, ONR ( Optimum No Rinse) diluted is a solid choice as stated in a few replies.

Polish - Sonax Perfect Finish/and a Rupes or similar random orbital. Beware if your swirls/scratches are deep you can burn the paint up real quick! Polishing is an acquired skill you can’t achieve the same results by hand.

Rupes Yellow Pad w/Sonax One Step.

FYI unless somethings changed the Yellow/Red Adams applicators are identical.

Collinite 845/Jescar is a great combo, the longevity not so much in humid states.

Good Luck

Sponsored

scotdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Recommend using a decon soap if your proceeding down the path of polishing. Something along the lines of Obsessed Garage Decon Soap, or something that has a little more Alkaline/PH +. For clay lube, ONR ( Optimum No Rinse) diluted is a solid choice as stated in a few replies.

Polish - Sonax Perfect Finish/and a Rupes or similar random orbital. Beware if your swirls/scratches are deep you can burn the paint up real quick! Polishing is an acquired skill you can’t achieve the same results by hand.

Collinite 845/Jescar is a great combo, the longevity not so much in humid states.

Good Luck
You bring up a good point about pads. Pad colors are NOT interchangeable. The Rupes yellow pad (or the Adams red pad) is the same as the Lake Country green pad I used for my lightly swirled car. Beware that many manufacturers have their own ecosystem for pad color, where the green I used from Lake County is NOT the same as Rupes green which has more cutting power and is similar to orange from other brands. Just figure out how much cutting you need (deeper swirls and more imperfections need more cutting power) and check out the brand you are buying and what color their pad is.
The Rupes yellow and the Griot's/Lake Country green are both light polishing pads and work great for lightly swirled cars.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I typically have a lot of lube left in the paint after a clay. I’ve always washed the car again but I could be doing it wrong.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350

Good Luck
I live in Florida. It’s humid year round. What else would you recommend then?

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Gtechniq CSL (Crystal Serum Light) & EXO V4 Coating

Same steps stated above apply prior to application-
DECON (PH+ wash, Iron X, Nano/Clay)
Polish One Step
Coating CSL/EXO & Patience
Beadmaker
98D2A5E0-1140-4E8F-AA53-E8C44DE0477B.jpeg

checkout Obsessed Garage (Located in FL)

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
Gtechniq CSL (Crystal Serum Light) & EXO V4 Coating

Same steps stated above apply prior to application-
DECON (PH+ wash, Iron X, Nano/Clay)
Polish One Step
Coating CSL/EXO & Patience
Beadmaker
98D2A5E0-1140-4E8F-AA53-E8C44DE0477B.jpeg

checkout Obsessed Garage (Located in FL)
Looks great! You’ve got the wheels I want. I actually got the power lock and collinite combo from here and Obsessed Garage.
Sponsored