Correct Brake Bleeding

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I've read conflicting information on the correct brake bleeding for our Mustang, tried a search but didn't find anything conclusive.
There is the 2 man operation (one pumps the brake pedal and the other under the car cracks the bleeder valve until pedal goes to the floor, close the valve and starts over) and then there are two 1 man operations (push and pull basically). There is something about the brake metering block that doesn't like the pressurized master cylinder reservoir (push) or the sucking fluid out the bleeder valve (pull). One of single man operations is the correct way to bleed the brakes?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's not like you have to track down another experienced DIY'er to run the pedal pushing. Any warm body who can reach near to the bottom of the pedal stroke and understands 'push', 'hold', and 'let up' is all you need. Friend, sibling, wife, 12 year old kid / grandkid, doesn't much matter.

Norm

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It's not like you have to track down another experienced DIY'er to run the pedal pushing. Any warm body who can reach near to the bottom of the pedal stroke and understands 'push', 'hold', and 'let up' is all you need. Friend, sibling, wife, 12 year old kid / grandkid, doesn't much matter.

Norm
True LOL but I have read somewhere that our metering block doesn't like the push or pull, I don't remember which one. A friend of mine has the pneumatic brake bleeder.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I always do it with vacuum, and never an issue. Haven't done it on the Mustang since it's new, but will in about a year, since the car is already 11 months old from its build date. I don't like pressure bleeders, especially in a manual car, since it can cause issues with the clutch line... which is already flimsy in our cars. But many folks swear by them. What I don't like about my car is it doesn't have a freaking bleeding valve on the clutch, so how the hell do you change the fluid?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can bleed with a pressure bleeder. I’ve also done it one man with a bleed hose that included a check valve to help limit air and fluid going back into the caliper at any time. (Squish squish the brake pedal and squirt squirt fluid out that caliper through the check valve.)

the big advantage of the pressure bleeder is that you can observe all the fluid that comes out at the caliper and you dont have to sit in the car, so its easier to see if you’ve got air bubbles, old fluid, or have reached the fresh good stuff with only one person. Thats all but impossible if you’re working the gas pedal by yourself.