Sponsored

Convince me. To Power Pack 2 or No.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Every time I look at superchargers, I think $10k. Kit + drive shaft + half shafts + clutch... a lot of scratch, and I'm cheap af. But stock horsepower isn't cutting it. Our 5.0s are nice motors, for sure, but still so slooooooow.

So. Power Pack 2. $700-ish. Numbers and charts say nice little boost for not a whole lot of money. Install it yourself in a jiffy. No big deal.

Worth it? Or is there something else cheap-ish that'll get me as much or more power?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had the PP2 and if you have a stick and 3.73 gears like me, it sucks. Ultra-touchy throttle and odd annoying rev hang when cold and it takes random long times to go into engine breaking when warm. I am not the only one with said experience. I also got audible pinging that I found unacceptable. There's a long thread on this. In that same thread, it seems folks with autos and manuals with 3.55, 3.31 gears were not having the same issues. I went with a VMP tune + GT350 CAI using the stock throttle body and especially after my revision, it drives just like I expect it to with more power. I need smooth and predictable for the road course and VMP made it so. Ford Performance wouldn't even consider refreshing their tune with data logs for me. In fact they said to someone else that they felt it was perfect and didn't need revision!

So, if you want my opinion... no... don't get the PP2.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I had the PP2 and if you have a stick and 3.73 gears like me, it sucks. Ultra-touchy throttle and odd annoying rev hang when cold and it takes random long times to go into engine breaking when warm. I am not the only one with said experience. I also got audible pinging that I found unacceptable. There's a long thread on this. In that same thread, it seems folks with autos and manuals with 3.55, 3.31 gears were not having the same issues. I went with a VMP tune + GT350 CAI using the stock throttle body and especially after my revision, it drives just like I expect it to with more power. I need smooth and predictable for the road course and VMP made it so. Ford Performance wouldn't even consider refreshing their tune with data logs for me. In fact they said to someone else that they felt it was perfect and didn't need revision!

So, if you want my opinion... no... don't get the PP2.
Stick and 3.31 gears here. But... yeah, that doesn't sound good.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Stick and 3.31 gears here. But... yeah, that doesn't sound good.
Keep in mind his experience was before the revised tune. I had the same experience with the original all tune and can say that after I flashed the revised tune all the issues went away.

Last edited:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of my best slip on a 85 deg day with a some humity if that helps, I'm left lane #101. With the pp2 I picked up 5 mph and nocked off over .5 sec in the 1/4 mile. That is comparing two runs in similar weather with the same 60 ft. A hp calculator equates that to a 45-50 hp increase. I love the pp2 and would highly recommend it!
20170609_190700_resized-2.jpg

Sponsored

ssj92

Photon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
I'm on the PP2, 3.73 gears and stick. No issues here. Ford has also updated the tune and others have reported no issues after the updated tune. I use 91 only from Chevron. I say go for PP2.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Here's a pic of my best slip on a 85 deg day with a some humity if that helps, I'm left lane #101. With the pp2 I picked up 5 mph and nocked off over .5 sec in the 1/4 mile. That is comparing two runs in similar weather with the same 60 ft. A hp calculator equates that to a 45-50 hp increase. I love the pp2 and would highly recommend it!
Very impressive!!:cheers:

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
check out the pp3. I am getting it installed next friday so I can't tell you how it is from experience but it looks promising. Should pull nicely in the upper rpm range and if fords tune isn't up to par I will just get it dyno tuned locally.

Sponsored

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
Does the throttle body still slam shut on the pp2 revised tune and what is the rev limiter set to?

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
Does the throttle body still slam shut on the pp2 revised tune and what is the rev limiter set to?
It does but no biggie. OP, if you want a little more down low and a significant increase in midrange then I recommend the PP2. Well worth it and you can install it yourself in no time at all.

I had all the issues with rev hang and this and that but the revised tune cleaned all of that up and there are no issues. Car drives better than stock now.

Last edited:

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
I have seen 7200-7300 for the rev limiter.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
If there is something wrong with something, if it doesn't work correctly or has even small issues, it will bother me and I'll bitch about it.

That said, I've had the PP2 on my '17 GT non-PP, 6-sp, 3.55 car for about 900 miles now and LOVE IT. As I downloaded the tune for the first time 2 weeks ago, I will assume I have "the new tune."

For the first 100-150 miles or so, I had some rev hang that was mildly bothersome, but it went away completely. "Premium fuel" where I live is 93 octane (I'm lucky, I know) and that's what I use. IMO, for a DD, PP2 is where it's at. The added power across the powerband is very noticeable around town. I've spun the tires at the top-end in both 2nd and 3rd. A little disconcerting to spin tires at 80mph, but after the pucker factor goes away it's just a lot of fun. :D

I can't recommend this upgrade highly enough. Yes; the TB slams shut when you kill the engine. Sounds like slamming the metal lid onto a large jar....and who cares? Not me.

After that 100-150 mile break in/learning period, the rev-hang went away and my mileage even returned to so-close to what it was before. I used to get 20.9 MPG while commuting to work doing 65-75mph. Now I get 20.8. I can live with that.

It idles like stock, doesn't do funky things when I'm stuck in traffic and howls like an angry wolf when you put your foot in it. After the PP2 install, I really feel like I'm driving something special. There is a big difference in the car post-install. A stock GT with a stick is a quick car. After PP2 it's a fast car. It's easily noticeable.

The following is IMO. I thought about going straight to PP3. +40HP up top is no joke. But I read that for most folks, their low-end and low-midrange suffered. In trade, they enjoyed massive gains up top. That's great for a track car/road course car but for a DD? Probably not so much. Going stoplight to stoplight with the typical 1/4-1/3 mile b/t lights, you're not going to get up to 7K rpm too often.

The PP2 seems to be the sweet spot for most folks and IS the sweet spot for a DD.

Do it. :D

ps
Regarding my propensity to find stuff wrong with something: See my post regarding the installation of the PP2 in the massive PP thread. IMO, my concerns are well-founded. That said, b/t all the data contained in that thread, YouTube vids, other forum posts, etc, you will have no problem getting it done. Expect to do your homework before hand. The FR instructions are a "general guide" IMO and NOT a step-by-step with all the correct and detailed diagrams, etc.

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
If there is something wrong with something, if it doesn't work correctly or has even small issues, it will bother me and I'll bitch about it.

That said, I've had the PP2 on my '17 GT non-PP, 6-sp, 3.55 car for about 900 miles now and LOVE IT. As I downloaded the tune for the first time 2 weeks ago, I will assume I have "the new tune."

For the first 100-150 miles or so, I had some rev hang that was mildly bothersome, but it went away completely. "Premium fuel" where I live is 93 octane (I'm lucky, I know) and that's what I use. IMO, for a DD, PP2 is where it's at. The added power across the powerband is very noticeable around town. I've spun the tires at the top-end in both 2nd and 3rd. A little disconcerting to spin tires at 80mph, but after the pucker factor goes away it's just a lot of fun. :D

I can't recommend this upgrade highly enough. Yes; the TB slams shut when you kill the engine. Sounds like slamming the metal lid onto a large jar....and who cares? Not me.

After that 100-150 mile break in/learning period, the rev-hang went away and my mileage even returned to so-close to what it was before. I used to get 20.9 MPG while commuting to work doing 65-75mph. Now I get 20.8. I can live with that.

It idles like stock, doesn't do funky things when I'm stuck in traffic and howls like an angry wolf when you put your foot in it. After the PP2 install, I really feel like I'm driving something special. There is a big difference in the car post-install. A stock GT with a stick is a quick car. After PP2 it's a fast car. It's easily noticeable.

The following is IMO. I thought about going straight to PP3. +40HP up top is no joke. But I read that for most folks, their low-end and low-midrange suffered. In trade, they enjoyed massive gains up top. That's great for a track car/road course car but for a DD? Probably not so much. Going stoplight to stoplight with the typical 1/4-1/3 mile b/t lights, you're not going to get up to 7K rpm too often.

The PP2 seems to be the sweet spot for most folks and IS the sweet spot for a DD.

Do it. :D

ps
Regarding my propensity to find stuff wrong with something: See my post regarding the installation of the PP2 in the massive PP thread. IMO, my concerns are well-founded. That said, b/t all the data contained in that thread, YouTube vids, other forum posts, etc, you will have no problem getting it done. Expect to do your homework before hand. The FR instructions are a "general guide" IMO and NOT a step-by-step with all the correct and detailed diagrams, etc.
Agree 100%. I have an automatic and notice all the same improvements! All the shifts are clean and more aggressive. The car just feels faster! At 60mph I almost left rubber on the highway! LOL

Do it!
Sponsored