thegabrielles

Long time Mustang Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2011 ROush Stage 2 Convertible
So I had to get the oil changed in the car today and while I was there, I had to ask about the 2015. Specifically the convertible. The dealer told me they pushed back the date for the convertible to march 2015! Has anyone else heard anything about that? It's the first I had heard that it would take that long before they are out.
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
'15 Convertibles are, indeed, going to be late availability. They are being held up until Job 2, which will be several months after the coupes are released.

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
So I had to get the oil changed in the car today and while I was there, I had to ask about the 2015. Specifically the convertible. The dealer told me they pushed back the date for the convertible to march 2015! Has anyone else heard anything about that? It's the first I had heard that it would take that long before they are out.
I had this question a while back and at the time the info was the vert would be about 3 months later than initial launch. I wonder if that has changed.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-production-1368.html?p=34921

Although when it comes down to it many of us who don't enjoy year round warm weather it is the same thing as delaying it until next spring. No point buying it in Dec/Jan only to garage it until spring, unless you need a new car ASAP.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I'm getting a convertible and I don't expect to see them available until early next year.

NorthernProducer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOHN
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, 2019 F150 Lariat, 2020 CT5, 2019 C7
I'm ready for the convertible...it's going to be a long winter.

Sponsored

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
The only reason I wanted the convertible to come out at the same time is so that dealers could get over their money grabbing mark-ups. I wasn't planning on looking at one until spring anyway. Not sure if I want to go from a hard top to a soft top so may be a moot point. The performance value is what has me intrigued.

OP
OP

thegabrielles

Long time Mustang Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2011 ROush Stage 2 Convertible
I already have a convertible... and when I buy an S550 it will be another convertible. Since its going to be March I will probably end up waiting for the 16 to show up, but who knows. I was hoping they would get over the pricing by March but that wont happen with them coming out in spring. I appreciate the info!

Melino

Just saw an update from a Ford insider on the Blue Oval forums about the convertible....not much consolation I suppose but you may be able to place those orders

The 2015 Mustang Order Bank may very well accept convertible orders when the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) opens. They'll just show a "Material Hold" status until convertible scheduling starts.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I never thought I would say this but after seeing the order guide I may wait for the 2016 to come out. I won't be buying until spring of next year and perhaps they will offer more performance options on the convertible for 16.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
I never thought I would say this but after seeing the order guide I may wait for the 2016 to come out. I won't be buying until spring of next year and perhaps they will offer more performance options on the convertible for 16.
I'd prefer to get one in late spring to enjoy the full season but I'm leaning this way as well. I'll test drive before then and compare rear seat room to my car now but if I decide to buy I may just order a 2016 and get my winter wheels. No reason to get a 2015 in June and then have them change something in September.

Sponsored

Melino

I thought you ragtop fans might be interested in this update about convertible ordering, from a dealer:

Although the CONCEPS ordering system will generate error notices stating that "Convertible N/A Job 1" & "Convertible N/A Until Job 2" it appears that the system will add the order to the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) and then generate a "Material Hold" notice on the daily status reports that is sent to the Dealer. I just put in a trial convertible order and CONCEPS added it to the Order Bank.

RedBaron777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP + 50 YR AP
Ford always holds a big batch of early production of all-new cars for quality control to inspect them thoroughly for a few weeks before giving the okay to ship. Also, production goes much slower until Ford can ramp up the assembly line speed. This is an all-new car, so the people assembling them can't just make them at full speed right away.

Production starts August 11th. Figure the first several thousand '15's will be held up for 4-6 weeks for QC putting the initial shipments leaving the factory in mid to late September. IMO, it'll be early October before any hit dealer lots.

I've worked at a Ford dealership for 15 years and do all of our ordering. This is completely normal with every new roll out, and I expect the Mustang will follow this same process. If they get released early, you might see some show up in September, but October is really more realistic.

Now, in subsequent model years of the S550, new model years will roll out in mid to late summer, like normal, and to your point.
Brian- You seem to be very knowledgeable about all the goings on with ordering new models, etc. so perhaps you can shed some light on the following. I am going to buy a GT Premium Convertible and I have seen various postings from, someone already ordered one and got confirmation from Ford, to not being able to place an order, to a dealer explaining how an order can be placed and put on a "material hold".
Can you help me and anyone else interested in the convertible, in understanding what really is the process and what we should be doing now. Thanks for your help.:shrug:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Brian- You seem to be very knowledgeable about all the goings on with ordering new models, etc. so perhaps you can shed some light on the following. I am going to buy a GT Premium Convertible and I have seen various postings from, someone already ordered one and got confirmation from Ford, to not being able to place an order, to a dealer explaining how an order can be placed and put on a "material hold".
Can you help me and anyone else interested in the convertible, in understanding what really is the process and what we should be doing now. Thanks for your help.:shrug:
'15 Convertibles can be ordered right now. However, the order will just sit unscheduled in the queue until Job 2 starts (which should be several months after Job 1 starts).

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I can't remember which thread it was in on the forums, but there was a question answered by Ford which said that the convertible would be available this year, not next.
Sponsored