Sponsored

Convertible cap replacement

RobT350C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible White
And don’t use them again, no idea if the new ones actually fix the issue but the horror in getting it repaired isn’t worth the hassle.
Had a closer inspection this morning and discovered it is damaged. Two slight plucks on drivers side, not too bad as per image. Fortunate this problem was mentioned otherwise would have been new hood time. Think I can get away with just trimming back the plucked bits.
IMG_20190128_092814.jpg
Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Had a closer inspection this morning and discovered it is damaged. Two slight plucks on drivers side, not too bad as per image. Fortunate this problem was mentioned otherwise would have been new hood time. Think I can get away with just trimming back the plucked bits.
IMG_20190128_092814.jpg
Go and get yourself a new set of caps from your dealer. If they aren’t helpful then contact Hendy Performance who have said they can supply replacements.

OP
OP
slowhand99

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Dealer 10/10; Ford 0/10
Had a call from the dealer (non-Ford store) to say my replacement caps are in. This is a dealer (not my supplying dealer) who told me unprompted about the issue and who have a real enthusiasm for Mustangs (they just rebuilt @Kristian87's). "Can I book the car in to have them fitted?", they said; "Pardon me" I said. Yes; apparently although they are a straight swap for the originals (and live in the boot), because it's a warranty job Ford insist it goes through the workshop. I'm hoping they can do a 30 second 'while you wait' appointment. :headbang:
Presumably there's a TSB for this. Open boot; chuck in; close boot.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer 10/10; Ford 0/10
Had a call from the dealer (non-Ford store) to say my replacement caps are in. This is a dealer (not my supplying dealer) who told me unprompted about the issue and who have a real enthusiasm for Mustangs (they just rebuilt @Kristian87's). "Can I book the car in to have them fitted?", they said; "Pardon me" I said. Yes; apparently although they are a straight swap for the originals (and live in the boot), because it's a warranty job Ford insist it goes through the workshop. I'm hoping they can do a 30 second 'while you wait' appointment. :headbang:
Presumably there's a TSB for this. Open boot; chuck in; close boot.
I would think this is the dealer protecting themselves by ensuring they jump through the necessary red tape hoops to be able to claim the cost of the part back. I bet the warranty process and the TSB say they have to inspect the roof for damage too; I got a phone call back from the dealer (it was in having other work done too, not just swapping the caps) saying a whole new roof was on order for mine and that’s where the problems started for me.

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
Had the car serviced today and asked them to look at the marks in the roof.

Whilst they hadn't heard of the TSB, they did phone Hendy Performance (luckily for me I was at another Hendy dealer) and confirmed that yes, indeed there is a revised part number, and they have placed an order for a new set of caps.

I can also have a new roof, as my "marks" match the info from FoMoCo but they are concerned about getting it all aligned, compared to how it would be from the factory - as the service gent said: We've not done one before and the factory are doing loads every day. I think I'll risk leaving it as is.

Oh and yes the car does need to go in for the caps to be "fitted", I enquired as to why they needed the car, and the answer is:
It needs to be plugged into the computer for the part to be fitted :crackup:

The guy in service see's the humour in this, but said they need to plug it in so that the "system" allows them to do the work and so they can be paid for it (even if it involves opening the boot and chucking them in there). He's going to work on that for me as whilst they are very local to me (10 mins drive rather than 30+ for the next closest) their Service Dept isn't open at the Weekend.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the car serviced today and asked them to look at the marks in the roof.

Whilst they hadn't heard of the TSB, they did phone Hendy Performance (luckily for me I was at another Hendy dealer) and confirmed that yes, indeed there is a revised part number, and they have placed an order for a new set of caps.

I can also have a new roof, as my "marks" match the info from FoMoCo but they are concerned about getting it all aligned, compared to how it would be from the factory - as the service gent said: We've not done one before and the factory are doing loads every day. I think I'll risk leaving it as is.
It’s a tough one, my marks were both a small amount of damage to the roof fabric, which was ok to live with compared to the risk of a nightmare with a new roof and then there was the cut in the roof fabric right on the seam. I went for the change (well, I was actually told, but I was ok with that) because the cut would only get worse and eventually completely go. It was a game of ‘will this go in the warranty period, or will it go not long outside leaving me with a £5k+ bill to fix?’. I went for the change rather than the £5k bill and yes it was very painful to go through. At least I didn’t pay for it though.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
It’s a tough one, my marks were both a small amount of damage to the roof fabric, which was ok to live with compared to the risk of a nightmare with a new roof and then there was the cut in the roof fabric right on the seam. I went for the change (well, I was actually told, but I was ok with that) because the cut would only get worse and eventually completely go. It was a game of ‘will this go in the warranty period, or will it go not long outside leaving me with a £5k+ bill to fix?’. I went for the change rather than the £5k bill and yes it was very painful to go through. At least I didn’t pay for it though.

just catching up, pleased I only used them once. but its a bit of plastic, how does it damage the roof? Only time I would ever use them would be at car shows, but even then if you leave the car, the roof goes up. can't use them while driving, as if the weather changes, you have to stop and get out the car. I had my S197 for 4 years, and had no issues without using caps.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just catching up, pleased I only used them once. but its a bit of plastic, how does it damage the roof? Only time I would ever use them would be at car shows, but even then if you leave the car, the roof goes up. can't use them while driving, as if the weather changes, you have to stop and get out the car. I had my S197 for 4 years, and had no issues without using caps.
The plastic caps touch the fabric (when fitted) and rub through the fabric of the roof.

Tomlouns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
IMG_20190128_092814.jpg
IMG_20190128_092814.jpg
IMG_20190128_092814.jpg
wow your cover looks really bad... how to you clean it? do you use anything to treat your cover? I seal mine every 6 months and it looks like new...

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
wow your cover looks really bad... how to you clean it? do you use anything to treat your cover? I seal mine every 6 months and it looks like new...
checked my roof, lucky me, not a mark on it
what do you seal yours with? only wash it when the car gets detailed, and she is out in all weathers

Sponsored
OP
OP
slowhand99

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mine is booked in at the dealer on Friday to have the replacement caps "fitted" :crazy:. Yes, Ford warranty insists on it.

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
I had mine swapped the other day.

I was allowed to just swap them, no need for fitting, or plugging into the computer (which was previously mentioned as a requirement) so top marks to my dealer for that - in and out in 2 mins

OP
OP
slowhand99

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Turns out this is a bit more involved than previously thought. There is a piece of trim down inside the rear that apparently rubs the hood as it is retracted. This can be replaced under warranty and was done on mine last Friday as well as the caps. Another of Ford’s “need to know only” recalls. This information was volunteered by the Ford dealer I use (not my supplying dealer, or a Ford Store). I don’t think it’s good enough that unless you have a Mustang savvy tech who keeps up to date with the bulletins, attends seminars, networks etc. you don’t get to know. For me, Ford negates any warranty cut off by not informing owners of these issues.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turns out this is a bit more involved than previously thought. There is a piece of trim down inside the rear that apparently rubs the hood as it is retracted. This can be replaced under warranty and was done on mine last Friday as well as the caps. Another of Ford’s “need to know only” recalls. This information was volunteered by the Ford dealer I use (not my supplying dealer, or a Ford Store). I don’t think it’s good enough that unless you have a Mustang savvy tech who keeps up to date with the bulletins, attends seminars, networks etc. you don’t get to know. For me, Ford negates any warranty cut off by not informing owners of these issues.
Care to name the dealer and post a picture of the part?

I’ve had a faulty headliner that was out of spec tear on one of my replacement roofs, highly annoying. And yes, I wonder how much legal sway you’d have if your car developed a known issue out of warranty and even the dealer hadn’t picked it up on inspection.

OP
OP
slowhand99

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Care to name the dealer and post a picture of the part?

I’ve had a faulty headliner that was out of spec tear on one of my replacement roofs, highly annoying. And yes, I wonder how much legal sway you’d have if your car developed a known issue out of warranty and even the dealer hadn’t picked it up on inspection.
I have no idea which part it is, and only found out about it when I went to pick the car up. My only knowledge before I went in was the damage the caps can cause (I have just one tiny nick that I'll live with). I'm not aware if the other trim issue has caused any damage on mine although I haven't inspected it that closely, and they would have told me if they'd seen any damage.

The dealer is Peter Stirland of Hungerford, Berkshire. The tech's name is Paul. He has been consistently knowledgeable, helpful and reliable. You may have seen him mentioned in @Kristian87 posts; they completely striped and rebuilt his car and went over and above. They have done a number of oil coolers (and many, many RS head gaskets) I understand they have replaced a convertible roof too so may well be able to help you. It's small as Ford dealers go and is not a Ford store but consistently provides the best customer service I have had from any garage. They look after my Mondeo too now.
Sponsored