Sponsored

Considering trading my 15 for an 18.

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
The 18 is objectively better in every way. It's the subjective part that might sway you otherwise, well, and the financial loss part.
objectively better performance...Aestethics on the other hand, don't even compare. 15-17 look so much better the better performance is a wash.
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Wow VooDoo - thanks for the kind words about all us '18 guys who traded up! <insert sarcasm>

:cheers: lol

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Wow VooDoo - thanks for the kind words about all us '18 guys who traded up! <insert sarcasm>

:cheers: lol
right? like we all know the game. its not like anyone doesnt know buying new cars loses money. but cars as a whole is a bad investment. but its also our hobby/ passions so we do what makes us happy as long as you dont send yourself into financial ruin.

tjace34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Traded my 15 GT Prem Auto in for the 18 GT Prem 10 speed auto, Performance pack....with the 401A package....love it I'm very happy I did the trade....didn't want active exhaust (will be getting catback)....I like the new 10 Speed auto and the Michelin pilot 4 S tires and the digital dash is cool. msrp on my 18 was 47675 got it for 37000 out the door with trade.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
Traded my 15 GT Prem Auto in for the 18 GT Prem 10 speed auto, Performance pack....with the 401A package....love it I'm very happy I did the trade....didn't want active exhaust (will be getting catback)....I like the new 10 Speed auto and the Michelin pilot 4 S tires and the digital dash is cool. msrp on my 18 was 47675 got it for 37000 out the door with trade.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you only got $10K trade in for the 15?!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What makes me laugh is people going from say a '15/'16 premium w/o PP, getting the '18 with PP and blabbering on about how much better it drives. '15 PP to '18 PP, especially if you get the manual, is not at all worth the loss of money.

Get the '18 if:
You are dying to have an auto and have a manual
You are tech obsessed and must have the digital cluster

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
objectively better performance...Aestethics on the other hand, don't even compare. 15-17 look so much better the better performance is a wash.

So, aesthetics are in fact not objective, so no. Subjectively, I think it looks worlds better than the 15-17 (which is why I own one), but that's an opinion not based on fact.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you only got $10K trade in for the 15?!
think that would be he had 10kish equity in his car

What makes me laugh is people going from say a '15/'16 premium w/o PP, getting the '18 with PP and blabbering on about how much better it drives. '15 PP to '18 PP, especially if you get the manual, is not at all worth the loss of money.

Get the '18 if:
This was me, i was having issues with my manual so i went auto and I think the new LCD dash is the Bees meow.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

So, aesthetics are in fact not objective, so no. Subjectively, I think it looks worlds better than the 15-17 (which is why I own one), but that's an opinion not based on fact.
You made a tasteless comment to me awhile ago and I decided to ignore it even though my older Mustang would walk yours.

Everyone feels a need to justify their purchasing decision.

Everyone feels a need to justify why their car is better.

Everyone has insecurities.

/End of thread

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
You made a tasteless comment to me awhile ago and I decided to ignore it even though my older Mustang would walk yours.

Everyone feels a need to justify their purchasing decision.

Everyone feels a need to justify why their car is better.

Everyone has insecurities.

/End of thread
Hmm, not really sure what comment you are referring to be all hurt feelings aside the point stands. 2015-2017 GT compared to a 2018 GT, the 2018 is objectively better in every way. This shouldn't be new information and isn't intended as a stab to others. The 1999GTs were significantly better than the 98s, the 11GTs worlds better than the 10s...and so on. That's just the way it is. Aesthetic design aside, you are getting more car in pretty much every other aspect. Is it worth it to get an 18 over the older one? That's entirely up to the individual, but if facts matter, the 18 is going to check more boxes. The price disparity at launch is pretty much all but gone now and you can get decently equipped, brand new 18GTs for under $40k.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Get the '18 if:
Yeah, for me, it would have to be some _major_ change in the whole experience like a change between auto and manual, or a coupe to a vert, or I originally bought something that I wasn't 100% happy with (like settled on a color, or didn't get the Perf Pack, etc.)

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I made the switch from 15 to 18 and couldn't be happier. I did want auto over the manual and I did not ever use the 15 to track so the PP wasn't really doing me any justice. I went with a base A10 and it only cost 32k with a good deal and incentives. I got 23k for my trade (base 15 PP) and had about 10k equity in it. I actually have a lesser payment now (although yes I did extend the loan). Yes it is not a good investment but it was WORTH IT to me because of the reset to zero miles/age and performance/styling upgrades. I like the LED lights, quad exhaust, better stock exhaust note, better fuel economy (for a daily), and much better power production (for staying NA). For some of us it does make sense. All the 15-17 owners who are happy with staying with them, good for you! Just don't knock those of us who decided to trade up, cause thats exactly what we did. TRADE UP

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, for me, it would have to be some _major_ change in the whole experience like a change between auto and manual, or a coupe to a vert, or I originally bought something that I wasn't 100% happy with (like settled on a color, or didn't get the Perf Pack, etc.)
That was my situation. If I had stayed in a coupe I wouldn't have traded up, at least not until the 2019 just to be sure....i am sad at how these 15-17 vs 18 threads turn a bit bitter. The 18 does address a lot of the deficiencies with the 15-17, but that is always the way it's going to be. Personally I like the looks of the 15-17 better (personal preference) but the 18 is growing on me...
By the way if you want to see a guy trading in cars like they are soda cans, go watch the obsessed garage guy's videos. Still cannot believe he spent all that time and effort on that GT350 and then traded it in after a year...

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP

Get the '18 if:

Yeah - I love stick, but, the wifey wont drive with her joint issues which makes long trips annoying. The 10 speed is definitely (IMHO) quicker and more responsible for me than the 6spd auto was in my '15....Otherwise would have bought a 350. It certainly isn't a DCT but damn near as fast.

Am totally a "techie" as someone in IT Architecture - even get a personal budget from my employer to buy gadgets and tech each year to ensure I stay on top of the up and coming tech world! :crazy: I am coo coo for nerd gadgets.

My 15 was a premium but obviously not a PP...this car is. Its a nice option to have.

Above all and as said somewhere in this thread - this is hobby and bad habit these things called cars are...I like having nice things, this is the small indulgence that I outwardly allow to make up for the crappy days and people I have to babysit at times - so were my Audis. :cheers:

Just my reasoning - not that anyone really cares but its a way of thinking.

You have to follow your best pursuits that meet your needs within a responsible framework!

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
They "want" your '15 if they know they can give you less than its worth... ie: make a profit on the trade.

Then obviously they always want to sell new vehicles.

Most of the time, with trade ins they make 10% on the trade in, plus whatever they can make on the new car sale. Win Win for them.

What you need to do, is milk them for some more money on your trade in value. Never take a dealer's first trade in offer, go shop it around for trade in values at other dealerships, then see what they will do on a new car too.
Sponsored