Considering trading my 15 for an 18.

OP
OP

sKyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP, 1994 GT 'Vert
I thought I joined a forum for car enthusiasts, not financial advisors.
I guess I'll look elsewhere for information and attempt to compare the two myself.
Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I currently have a yellow 2015 gt pp MT 50 yr package Mustang.

The dealership is interested in my car and trying to talk me in to an 18.

I know with the 15 that the automatic was the better transmission and that I could have done without a few things.

What are the suggestions on the 18, is the 10 speed auto any good? What about the active exhaust and the magnetic ride? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!
The 10 Speed is well regarded, but it all depends on what you prefer. For me the modest performance increase in the 10 speed is not worth the trade off - a boring driving experience (I prefer rowing gears in my fun car).

Active exhaust is cool, but there are many aftermarket exhaust options available for your current car.

Magnetic ride is very cool, but it depends on how you drive the car and what you are looking to get out of it compared to your current 15.

I have a 16 GT with PP, and only owe a few grand on it, so it would be pretty stupid to trade it in for an 18 that is only modestly better, but significantly more money (I personally think the new ones are too expensive - I got mine new for 32k). It makes much more sense if you want more performance to put the money into forced induction. For 8-10 grand you end up with a vehicle that will slaughter any new 18.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Not to turn this into a Manual VS Auto thread but I find it funny that so many say "The auto is boring, you must row gears to enjoy driving the car". I actually find the A10 the best of both worlds. Its super easy to drive if you want to, throw it in D and go. Or you can choose multiple drive modes, throw it down into S and let it be more aggressive automatically or paddle shift it yourself. The only thing you are missing is the stabbing the clutch with your foot and tailoring the release to your taste or purpose. Yeah the paddles are a bit more video game like but it can be as or even more fun with more option. You can just stab the throttle once and the A10 will down shift to the perfect take off gear or you can control it yourself. So much variety in how to drive it, it truly is more fun if you want it to be. I actually would prefer a manual in a smaller more go cart like vehicle like a Miata. Then the clutch is light and easy, you most likely won't break it and the car is meant for whipping it around. Maybe I'm just starting to show my age. LOL

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Not to turn this into a Manual vs. Auto thread... but you just did, LOL!
My 15 was auto and I loved it. It was fast!
My 18 is manual, and I love it! Not as fast as my 15, because I can’t shift as fast... but I am enjoying the hell out of rowing the gears again. Feels more like I’m in a race car!
Drive what you want and F*&k everybody else’s opinion!

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Not to turn this into a Manual vs. Auto thread... but you just did, LOL!
My 15 was auto and I loved it. It was fast!
My 18 is manual, and I love it! Not as fast as my 15, because I can’t shift as fast... but I am enjoying the hell out of rowing the gears again. Feels more like I’m in a race car!
Drive what you want and F*&k everybody else’s opinion!
Yeah, my apologies to the OP. Agreed that we should all drive what fits us best.

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
One of the good things about the '18+ is that you don't have to waste money on expensive extras.
It's a "waste" to make the car better? Don't think so from my perspective, stock is never good enough

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
I am trading my 16 for a 18 and can’t wait, think the extras you get on the 18 are well worth the cost, magnaride, Recaros, digital dash, active exhaust, going manual as I prefer it

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
That’s the fun of modifying a car, sometimes it doesn’t work out. 95% if the time it makes for a better car, but I don’t expect to be happy with everything I’ve done, so some things I’ve reversed/changed. My car is still 1000x better than a stock car

The world would be a very boring place if we all drove stock mustangs

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
GT muffler volume

I would say Auto for sure unless youre a die hard manual guy. i love the 10 speed. the rest depends on what you want to do. i like the PP1 and the magne ride for all the auto adjustments done based on mode. the active exhaust in my opinion you can do without as most people will buy a nice exhaust. for me im just going to do an X pipe to delete the suit case but the exhaust stock is pretty decent. jsut needs more volume.
I did the X-pipe on my 16 GT and as the carbon builds up it will get deeper and louder, just give it time.

Sponsored

Spin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My Aunt told me once that her dealer called and told her they wanted her car. I said they don't want your car, they want your money!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Not to turn this into a Manual VS Auto thread but I find it funny that so many say "The auto is boring, you must row gears to enjoy driving the car". I actually find the A10 the best of both worlds. Its super easy to drive if you want to, throw it in D and go. Or you can choose multiple drive modes, throw it down into S and let it be more aggressive automatically or paddle shift it yourself. The only thing you are missing is the stabbing the clutch with your foot and tailoring the release to your taste or purpose. Yeah the paddles are a bit more video game like but it can be as or even more fun with more option. You can just stab the throttle once and the A10 will down shift to the perfect take off gear or you can control it yourself. So much variety in how to drive it, it truly is more fun if you want it to be. I actually would prefer a manual in a smaller more go cart like vehicle like a Miata. Then the clutch is light and easy, you most likely won't break it and the car is meant for whipping it around. Maybe I'm just starting to show my age. LOL
It's apparent the car is an automatic in D and it's also apparent the car is an automatic in S. Paddle shifters aren't instantaneous. That transmission isn't a replacement for a manual. A manual and a GT are synonymous . Nothing will ever change that. Car sounds better with a manual too. Just my opinion though.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
It's apparent the car is an automatic in D and it's also apparent the car is an automatic in S. Paddle shifters aren't instantaneous. That transmission isn't a replacement for a manual. A manual and a GT are synonymous . Nothing will ever change that. Car sounds better with a manual too. Just my opinion though.
The paddle shifters in my 2018 are instantaneous. I would bet they are faster than having to press and release clutch in a manual. Sure the experience is different manual vs auto, but it's not less responsive with paddles.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The paddle shifters in my 2018 are instantaneous. I would bet they are faster than having to press and release clutch in a manual. Sure the experience is different manual vs auto, but it's not less responsive with paddles.
No doubt man, paddle shifters are definitely faster than a clutch+shifter.

Most paddle shifters have some sort of lag or delay, only if it's for a split second. The best paddle shifters out there are instantaneous.
Sponsored