Considering '17 MX5 RF

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Might well be losing it. Soon to be 74, I am kind of smitten with the new MX5 RF. My 15 month old ECB Premium PP with only 6,100 miles, may be for sale. I have a history of going big car/ little car. GTI to a 5.0 in '91. In 2004 went from a C5 Vette to a 2005 MCS. Then in 2009 to a BMW 135, then in 2011 got a 2011 MINI JCW, then a 2013 Fiat Abarth to my current 2016 ECB. Love my Mustang, I miss the "fun" of driving a slow car fast vs a fast car slow.
I mentioned my age! Not the typical over 70 dude. I still run between40-50 miles a week(over 86,000 miles since I started keeping track back in 1976.)
All my cars have been manual and will go the same route with the MX5. Own my ECB and will sell privately. Only nave a 2 car garage.
Thoughts from current or former owners of Miatas would be welcome.
I put a SOLO Catback on and love the sound. Would miss that and the 300+ HP/torque.
If I decide to sell someone will get a great car. 2 Amsoil oil changes, LED lights where they weren't.
You would think I would grow up, but the sickness continues. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I absolutely love the new MX5 RF. I would get one in a heartbeat if I could afford to have one as a secondary car. Easily one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Mazda can make a damn good car too.

The new MX5 are fun to throw around.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Best thing about MX5 is the handling. Has to be one of the best balanced cars there is around. You can induce oversteer with throttle at will, but it is very well behaved, doesn't have any bad habits. Pricey little buggars though depending on what you get on it. My next door neighbour has a '16 that he tracks regularly. I used to think of it as a chick's car, but if I was going to go racing again I would be looking for an MX5 just for the fun factor.

BGEFan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT
I've had a couple including a Mazdaspeed MX5. Super fun cars to drive and the aftermarket is huge. I've also had a couple of MCS's, so you already know what you are in for. They don't have much power, but when you get in the mountains there ain't much better

Sponsored

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a 2015 MX-5 (soft top obviously). Probably the most fun I've had on four wheels. It felt reasonably quick thanks to the low weight and while leaned an awful lot in the turns, it sure was a good time. I'm sure you'll have a blast with the RF if you decide to make the switch. Only reason I sold mine is for financial reasons; couldn't afford the payment on it in addition to all the repairs my dd/beater needed.

Can't really compare to the Mustang since I haven't picked mine up yet. However, based on my impressions from the test drive, the MX-5 is more flickable and everything responds with a sense of urgency. Mustang on the other hand has much nicer steering and feels much more solid.

You've had a nice collection of cars, I'd definitely suggest adding an ND to that list at some point. Enjoy!

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Had a 90 miata in highschool. Pure fun. Would love a new one as a fun weekend car. Always had more fun on wet roads.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I have 2 garage queens, my Mustang and my 2000 MX5. I love the Miata, its such a fun car. It handles great and has plenty of power for its size. Drive one and you'll instantly know what I mean. They've only gotten better since the 2nd gen that I have too. The new body style is the only model I would consider over the 2nd gen body style. If you can have both the Mustang and MX5, do it.

Neither car is ideal for winter, so I have a sacrificial Saturn.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I had a 2016 MX-5 club with Brembo/BBS package. I had an S2000 and an NSX before that so the ND was a logical choice. It handled exceptional well despite its bodyroll. You can drive that car flat out everywhere and that's what made it fun. I now have a base GT and I can tell you I'm having a lot more fun driving it than the ND. It got bored of the after a month, while I'm 6 months into the GT and I still get excited to fire it up but that's just me though. Superb handling low power cars are fun and all but I just want POWER.

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
I currently have a Porsche Cayman S and previously had the NC2 but went to test drive a MX-5 RF a month ago. Obviously it wasn't powerful but it was fun! I was surprised at how comfortable it was considering my older NC2 was giving me back problems. The gears changes are brilliant. I'm considering one a few years down the line after depreciation hits it.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
9 different Miata's have spent some time in my Garage. Great cars that are a blast to drive. Test drove the ND. Loved it but it just didn't fit my needs at the time. I'm sure I'll own one eventually. Had a PRHT NC for awhile. Mazda did a great job with that package.

sumguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 magnetic metallic GT base
really like it but just got rid of a BMW Z3 because i was tired of it being a garage queen

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i was actually looking to buy the miata when they first redesigned it 15 or 16 cant remember, looks hella fun to drive being small especially if you make it to a track type of car! but it would be my only car so it wasn't functional for me so i got the mustang a little more functional haha, saw my first one a few weeks back it was smaller than i thought but still looked fun!

OP
OP

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Geez, I forgot to mention a used '60 MGA, a new '71 MG Midget(POS) and a used '79 911 Porche Targa( an expensive pos).
I noted not too many runners on the forum:).

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Fellow runner here. :)

I haven't driven a Miata, but that new RF looks pretty sweet. My only advice would be to also drive an 86/FRS or BRZ, at least for comparison (unless you're really married to the idea of a drop-top). I drove one, and while I obviously preferred the Mustang, I have to say that it handled and steered incredibly well. It's a bit underpowered like the Miata, but I guess that's what you're looking for which I totally understand. Also, depending on how much money you have laying around you could consider buying a used early FR-S at a significant discount and keep the Mustang! No matter what you choose I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure the Miata will be a blast to drive.
Sponsored