Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I just completed a year with the Saleen and 19k miles. For the last few months, I've been driving the wife's camry hybrid. She upgraded to an Infinity QX60 or some crap like that. Anyway, I decide to see if having a spare car for me would be ideal. I now realize it's necessary. The stang just requires more effort to drive, plain and simple. It's a great car for when being a hooligan or just point A to B and back. Other than that, I prefer something that I wouldn't be so worried about. Something where the weather is not a factor. Where a chili dog and soda are not an issue. You get my point.

I only need to drive to a commuter bus stop 8 miles from home. I plan to park it where the sun will beat on it hard. I considered getting a basic certified pre-owned Ford Focus SE or a Jetta SE. However, now I'm thinking I want a 96-98 Cobra or a base GT for $5-8k. I feel I'll miss the stang too much with my other options. I feel that way in the Camry now.

I've seen some of the older mustangs get into the mid to high 200k mile area. I figured getting one with about 100k miles. Do any of you have an older mustang you daily drive? Is it easy to maintain? I assume it shouldn't be too expensive to maintain since there are tons of parts for them out there. I can do almost all of my wrenching except for rebuilding engines, transmissions, or rearends.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
the 99-04's are good for what you're looking for. the 4.6 is easy to work on, cheap and reliable.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I bought my son an ā€˜01 GT with a 5 speed manual with 100k miles. It was a one owner car. From my understanding those year models had cooling and intake issues once they got a above 75-100k miles. Luckily, the previous owner had Ford replace the radiator, intake gasket etc and the 100k mike tune up.

The car isnā€™t bad, it drives good. Itā€™s rides a little rougher and has a lot more road noise. The seats are comfortable, but sits you up higher. Brakes are small and are ok for normal driving.

Maintenance is about the same as any other car. In the last two years weā€™ve owned it, we had to replace the pinion bearing in the rear end and a purge valve that kept throwing the check engine light.

I paid $4300 for it two years ago and it has been a good car. My son drives it daily, probably 50-70 miles a day to school and work. Heā€™s managed to not tear it up or wreck it so far! I think it has around 120k miles on it now. I make him change the oil at every 5k mile interval.

For myself, I needed a beater to go fishing in etc. and found a ā€˜99 Isuzu Rodeo that was high mileage but in great shape for $1800. For me, itā€™s a lot more comfortable than the ā€˜01 GT. I enjoy it more and if itā€™s scratched or dented Iā€™m not loosing any sleep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info guys. I'm shopping for one now with no more than 100k on the clock.
Sponsored