OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the link and said... oh heck no I'm not clicking on that.

Linux... oy vey.
20839641ea33765a5ae18b13dc62c011ecd91ff7&rid=giphy.gif

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
I've messed around with a million different distros for fun. The "fun" being me trying to move/replicate my workflow/use case entirely onto Linux. The end verdict is always that Windows simply works better if you want to use most programs/games.

Linux is good for some very specific purposes. I wouldn't want it for my daily driver.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've messed around with a million different distros for fun. The "fun" being me trying to move/replicate my workflow/use case entirely onto Linux. The end verdict is always that Windows simply works better if you want to use most programs/games.

Linux is good for some very specific purposes. I wouldn't want it for my daily driver.

Right, even with the pretty substantial advancements, it's still not great for a desktop OS (for most folks ...). If you want the *NIX underpinnings, combined with a polished UI, tons of commercial apps, and a real support channel, buy a Mac.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Right, even with the pretty substantial advancements, it's still not great for a desktop OS (for most folks ...). If you want the *NIX underpinnings, combined with a polished UI, tons of commercial apps, and a real support channel, buy a Mac.
ew-gross.gif

I will say this about Mac's, they have the easiest upgrade path of any machine. Just buy a brand new $3000+ computer with 5-year-old internals!

GR11M

Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you want the *NIX underpinnings, combined with a polished UI, tons of commercial apps, and a real support channel, buy a Mac.
The problem with that is, Linux isn't just an o/s it's a philosophy of how software should be freely shared and developed for the greater good, which is completely contradictory to Apple's "All your money are belong to us" ideology and there for they wouldn't sell out for a fancy desktop.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I will say this about Mac's, they have the easiest upgrade path of any machine. Just buy a brand new $3000+ computer with 5-year-old internals!
Nah, an M1 laptop for about $1200 kicks ass in both compute and battery life vs. cost.

Anyway ...

I use MacOS for development and general computing - the former for things like architecting M/L systems to predict outcomes for traumatic brain injury, and for the latter, it provides outstanding integration across devices and services that makes my non-professional system management (for me and my family), orders-of-magnitude easier.

I've been a dev/architect/author, OSs, compilers, hardware, cryptography, computer vision, AR/VR, for ~30 years, my choices are informed by that experience, if Windows served me better as a desktop OS, I'd use it (I have racks of Windows machines working on outcome modeling, so it's not like I don't use Windows in some capacity).

GR11M

Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
People complain about Windows but you have to realise it's designed to run on so many different systems, with so much backwards compatibility, it must be a nightmare to develop. Linux servers might run the world but their desktops are still so far behind because there's so many distros people insist on developing. Apple on the other hand support a much smaller scope of hardware, sacrificing compatibility for stability, leaving you pretty much limited to what hardware Apple offer.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
People complain about Windows but you have to realise it's designed to run on so many different systems, with so much backwards compatibility, it must be a nightmare to develop. Linux servers might run the world but their desktops are still so far behind because there's so many distros people insist on developing. Apple on the other hand support a much smaller scope of hardware, sacrificing compatibility for stability, leaving you pretty much limited to what hardware Apple offer.
Oh yeah, I'd pretty much agree with every one of those points.

i.e., Windows is more "hardware open" that introduces some issues - Linux is clumsy on the desktop - MacOS is specific to a limited hardware selection (with better H/S integration).

I'd say without question if gaming is one of your major use cases, Windows hands down (personally, I prefer a console, but that's a different conversation :D)

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah, I'd pretty much agree with every one of those points.

i.e., Windows is more "hardware open" that introduces some issues - Linux is clumsy on the desktop - MacOS is specific to a limited hardware selection (with better H/S integration).

I'd say without question if gaming is one of your major use cases, Windows hands down (personally, I prefer a console, but that's a different conversation :D)
Mac-user and a console peasant, that's two strikes :giggle:

For real though, the M1 simply doesn't have the grunt I'm looking for in even a mobile processor. AMD's 5000-series exists. You could argue the power/watt comparison. I think it's irrelevant given that I'm not seeing the M1 scaling to a higher TDP anyway.

GR11M

Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My last console was a Dreamcast and my last gaming PC was when my 2x 1080TIs were the latest and greatest. Now I sit on car forums debating computers 🤔

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
My last console was a Dreamcast and my last gaming PC was when my 2x 1080TIs were the latest and greatest. Now I sit on car forums debating computers 🤔
I don't know, those 1080ti's have more combined RAM/memory bandwidth than a 3080. Too bad SLI doesn't exist anymore.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Mac-user and a console peasant, that's two strikes :giggle:

For real though, the M1 simply doesn't have the grunt I'm looking for in even a mobile processor. AMD's 5000-series exists. You could argue the power/watt comparison. I think it's irrelevant given that I'm not seeing the M1 scaling to a higher TDP anyway.
Yeah, I just don't dig on futzing around - for fun - with anything that's work-ish, so if I can fire up a current gen console on a nice big 4K TV, with a 1500w Atmos system, and kick back on a comfy sofa with the family vs. sitting in front of a computer - that's my jam :D

I've probably got more Windows instances running around the house than most people (rack upstairs), I just greatly prefer the Mac experience from the OS, to the hardware design and support channels - I stay in terminal all day, have 40-ish apps open 24/7 (current uptime is like 140 days ...), the whole house integrated with HomeKit (and I run some custom servers/services), I have a ton of automations, terrific dev tools, containers for some local services, hell, I even run a Parallels VM for a few Windows services I prefer to have on my machine.

The initial M1 release was an entry level product, and certainly the P/W ratio __was__ the primary engineering target. M1X and M2 will really start pushing the performance, I'm seriously thinking of an extra "backup" machine if they release a 14" with a 32GB / 16-core GPU option.

I kid you not, there's a Dreamcast sitting on the main AV rack right now, 2 controllers/VMUs, mint - connected to the AVR with a little composite to HDMI converter/upscaler, and I even picked up some controller extensions.

Why?

No idea, I guess the little G wanted to play the old school Sonic and I thought it would be a fun throwback kind of thing ...

I was so wrong :cwl:

Advertisement

160 - PK Auto Designs - 1
Advertisement