Sponsored

Cold Weather Driving On Summer Tires?

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
-6 Celsius this morning when I left the house (21 Fahrenheit roughly).

Tyres are fine if you drive to the conditions.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Dear lord people, it sounds as if none of you have ever driven on drag radials before…or a rwd car without traction control!

Every morning here in SC has been in the low 40’s, high 30’s and quite honestly, these tires have been fine.

Just use common sense. The tires will lose traction quicker, but you aren’t going to suddenly lose control on the highway going 70mph.

To the OP, you will be FINE on these tires.

bumada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Dear lord people, it sounds as if none of you have ever driven on drag radials before…or a rwd car without traction control!

Every morning here in SC has been in the low 40’s, high 30’s and quite honestly, these tires have been fine.

Just use common sense. The tires will lose traction quicker, but you aren’t going to suddenly lose control on the highway going 70mph.

To the OP, you will be FINE on these tires.
My thoughts exactly. I test drove my GTPP in 15 degree weather. I had the salesman holding on for dear life. It's a little slippery but it's nothing that can't be controlled with your foot. The differential doesn't enjoy cold weather either.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Worst case put it in snow/wet mode.
Also take corners slower.
It's not the back end would have issue getting grip. The front does also.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I'm not tire expert, but I've read up on summer compounds some and there's warnings that putting stress on those tires when they're cold (most say under 40 F) can damage them. Now with humans being human, we all push it. I would wager the real problem temps are below 25 or so..maybe. Just a guess. Regardless, it's not just about traction.

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I drove on them in under 10 degree temps in the Chicago area at the beginning of the year and didn't have any trouble at all. If you stay out of the throttle and drive cautiously there is no issue.

Dave99GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang Convertible
You will have reduced traction in cold weather with the PP tires. Most posts responding here say to take it easy on the throttle and you will be fine. But if you have to make an emergency stop, or try to slow down quickly on the expressway due to an unexpected traffic jam, you will not have traction and will likely be unable to stop in time. If you have to swerve quickly to avoid something, look out. Renting a car for the trip is actually good advice, given Thanksgiving traffic.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It was 23 degrees outside this morning and according to the 0-60 timer on the dash I did it in 5.6 seconds. Not bad for the Pirrelli tires that come with the base model. Course the roads were dry for the most part, maybe a little frost, but thinking all the traffic had melted that away. Wondering what it would have been like with the summer tires.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'm not tire expert, but I've read up on summer compounds some and there's warnings that putting stress on those tires when they're cold (most say under 40 F) can damage them. Now with humans being human, we all push it. I would wager the real problem temps are below 25 or so..maybe. Just a guess. Regardless, it's not just about traction.
Yes, in extreme cases, summer tire rubber can become brittle and crack due to low temperature.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
You are talking about the summer only tires they put on the 16 Z06. They will crack if you even more them under 20 degrees. The Shelby GT 350 R has the same problem.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You are talking about the summer only tires they put on the 16 Z06. They will crack if you even more them under 20 degrees. The Shelby GT 350 R has the same problem.
It was just a couple general descriptions on summer compound tires, but not to any specific vehicle. I'm sure there are some variances, but I would think that any unnatural movement of certain compounds of rubber when cold could be detrimental to the natural flex and tolerances.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You will have reduced traction in cold weather with the PP tires. Most posts responding here say to take it easy on the throttle and you will be fine. But if you have to make an emergency stop, or try to slow down quickly on the expressway due to an unexpected traffic jam, you will not have traction and will likely be unable to stop in time. If you have to swerve quickly to avoid something, look out. Renting a car for the trip is actually good advice, given Thanksgiving traffic.
It's like anything else when you're driving...know your limits.

Pretend the car doesn't have any of the electronic safety nannies and He'll be fine.

Maybe I'll change my mind when the temps reach under 20, but so far...in the 30's and 40's my cold weather traction has only slightly affected my stopping distance.

Again, know your limits.

ColMusstard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Are you taking driving costs into account? Flying really won't be $800 more. The federal rate of around 55 cents per mile is pretty accurate for a new Mustang GT, your potential 1600 mile round trip will cost $800+ when it's all said and done when you factor in depreciation, tires, fuel, brakes, etc

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
From Experience

I live in the Chicago area and have the P Zero Nero's (All Seasons). Barring snow I likely could have survived on those all winter. Obviously you have the Summer tires, but even assuming they are slightly worse, you should be quite alright.

Make sure there will not be any snow, and don't punch the throttle (especially around corners). Besides that you will be fine. I got through most of winter with temps nearing Zero with the all seasons until the heavy snow came.

**You also might hear a thudding or popping noise when turning sharply at low speeds, but do not be alarmed even though it sounds and feels terrible. It is just the inside edge of the hard tire popping to stay in line with the outside edge. No real damage is being done**
Sponsored