Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
After installing the Steeda clutch spring I can say it seems to be the best of both worlds now. I still can feel the linearity I liked with no spring and can now modulate the pressure on the pedal a bit better as it is not so stiff.

One of the better things I have done to my car and it was only $10.
Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
After installing the Steeda clutch spring I can say it seems to be the best of both worlds now. I still can feel the linearity I liked with no spring and can now modulate the pressure on the pedal a bit better as it is not so stiff.

No spring for me, I like it stiff.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Now that's what we like to hear :) enjoy!

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
No spring for me, I like it stiff.
Somewhere here there is a "she said" joke. :lol:

I guess I should have waited to install mine. I drove home last friday from work, went to the mailbox, grabbed the spring and installed it. Car sat until Tuesday morning when I went back to work. So I had a few days to "forget" what it felt like. I did notice a slight push back as I was letting off the pedal, but not an instant difference.
Now that I have been driving it for a week, I think I'm starting to feel a lighter pedal overall.
Agreed, this is how it should have been from the factory. I'd love to know the rational Ford had behind such a heavy spring.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Somewhere here there is a "she said" joke. :lol:
Lol...I can see why Ford tried to lighten up the clutch pedal, without the spring it has a solid amount of heft to it...me likes.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I like it without but can't say I shift any smoother with it, or without it, there's absolutely more feel for engagement though.

5.0_MLC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Denys
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I took it out for a couple of months last year but then put it back in. I was afraid of premature clutch wear because of the pedal not returning all the way up.

I ordered and installed the Steeda spring last night and feels close to without any spring and it does return the pedal all the way up. There is still a very little slop but this time im keeping the Steeda spring

VeloLisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I've been frustrated that my shifts aren't very smooth, thinking it's because I haven't driven a manual in 25+ years. But now I'm wondering if it's because of the spring. I'm considering putting the Steeda spring in. I ordered one. But I'm concerned that the clutch will be too heavy for me after I install it. I'm not exactly a weakling. I'm an avid cyclist and I also weight lift, so my legs are fairly strong.

I know I can put the OEM spring back if it doesn't work out. Just wondering if there are any woman drivers here with the spring removed or the Steeda spring installed?

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=20954]VeloLisa[/MENTION]

The spring is not heavy in the slightest.

My wife is 5"3 120 lbs and probably the weakest human alive (her words lol) and she prefers the car without a spring. I don't understand where some people are getting this "heavy spring" description. Even without the spring it's just as light as all my other manuals. The spring makes it effortless, yes, but the clutch without one feels like a regular clutch.

Sponsored

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
I finally took out the stock spring yesterday, and replaced it with a Century 59-lb. rated spring. I guess after reading all the rave reviews, I expected more. The shifts from first to second gear seem to be about 50% smoother, and the shifts from second to third gear are much better, but all the other upshifts were very smooth already with the stock spring, so no improvement there.

Pedal engagement requires quite a bit more effort, and it is noticeable in my stop and go city commuting traffic.

I have four more of the Century springs if anyone wants one. PM me and I will get your mailing information.

Old Guard

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I finally took out the stock spring yesterday, and replaced it with a Century 59-lb. rated spring. I guess after reading all the rave reviews, I expected more. The shifts from first to second gear seem to be about 50% smoother, and the shifts from second to third gear are much better, but all the other upshifts were very smooth already with the stock spring, so no improvement there.

Pedal engagement requires quite a bit more effort, and it is noticeable in my stop and go city commuting traffic.

I have four more of the Century springs if anyone wants one. PM me and I will get your mailing information.

Old Guard
Did you try no spring at all?

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Old Guard

That seems to be the general consensus.

Spring to no spring = night and day

Spring to lower rated spring = you can kind of tell something changed

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
I did not try springless. The weaker spring gives me all the leg press machine simulation I can handle, 90 minutes every day!

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
You should try it without spring just for comparison...very easy to put spring back in.
Sponsored