Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Drove it for another 40 mins and I'm still bogging it more than I did without a spring. I'm also noticing the same tiny amount of play in the pedal up top, almost identical to when it had no spring.
That's pretty strange that the play at the top of the pedal would still be there with the spring installed. When the pedal is all the way up, the length of the spring is 45 mm (1.77"), and the Steeda spring should be applying ~26 lbs of force.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only had the Steeda spring (35 lbs) in a day, and it's a nice piece, but after one day, I don't think I like it so far. Going to give it a week or two to adjust, but here's the problem with a spring in there, any spring. The way it's designed, the mechanics of it.
Here's the softest spring so far that has been tried. Per the feedback, it keeps the pedal all the way up (removes the play at top).

Per my calculations, it only provides ~11 lbs of assistance force when the pedal is all the way down, vs ~43 lbs assistance force when the OEM spring is installed.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=966763&postcount=1

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I also installed the Steeda spring, after driving with no spring for the past month or so. I've been driving manual shift cars since my first car in 1983, so it was a revelation to remove that spring, and get a natural feeling clutch back. Best mod to the car yet, and it was free. (I've owned various manual shift cars, such as several fast Camaros, two Z06s - one with a dual-disk, an S2000, Toyota Celica, even a truck.)

I've only had the Steeda spring (35 lbs) in a day, and it's a nice piece, but after one day, I don't think I like it so far. Going to give it a week or two to adjust, but here's the problem with a spring in there, any spring. The way it's designed, the mechanics of it.

The helper spring makes it a tad harder to press initially, then it "breaks over", almost at the engagement point, and makes the pedal lighter at that point, ultimately making it noticeably lighter right as it hits the firewall.

Now I can see if you're stuck in traffic and holding the clutch down this might be cool, but from a driving standpoint, it is totally NOT natural, and not like any clutch I've felt before. (This is my first Ford.)

A clutch pedal should get progressively stiffer the farther the pedal goes down, ultimately being the stiffest right as it reaches the firewall. That is a natural spring feeling, and your body expects it when compressing a spring (clutch), so it feels "right" and totally natural to drive like that.

Even the light Steeda spring brought back some of the unnatural feel to me. As I've been driving for a good while with no spring, it felt totally good, not heavy at all, so the slightly lighter pedal isn't worth the unnatural feeling of the clutch getting lighter, the farther it goes down.

I'll give it a week or two, and if I don't like it, I'll donate it as a trial spring we can mail around for people to try if they want, to see if they like it. I'll let y'all know.

I am convinced the spring itself is there to begin with to make the pedal much lighter for female drivers to increase sales, that's just my opinion. I have zero problems with it not returning to the top with no spring, it feels like the clutch in ever other car I've driven.

That is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm giving it a couple more days to feel it out and maybe get used to it. The spring did make it lighter but also brought back a tiny bit of that "vague" feel around the engagement point. It also pushes back ever so slightly when you get disengage the pedal which can throw you off. The car without a spring was spot on and honestly felt like every manual I've owned. I was worried about the dead play up top but tbh what I thought was dead play is still present with the spring.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was worried about the dead play up top but tbh what I thought was dead play is still present with the spring.
Are you saying that with the spring installed, you can physically grab the pedal and make it move up farther? If so, that's pretty strange.

But, if you are saying there is a small "dead zone" at the top before the clutch pedal pressure can be felt, then that's a different thing and is normal. There will always be a dead zone of slop at the top, even if the pedal is 100% all the way up.

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's correct, I'm just referring to the ever so slight dead zone up top. It's virtually identical with and without the steeda spring imho. I can't physically move the pedal up with or without it installed but tthere is a tiny bit of dead zone up top which seems to be normal.

That is essentially why I'm kind of considering removing it all together because it feels better with it off, for me, and since the pedal play is a non-issue seems kind of pointless.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's correct, I'm just referring to the ever so slight dead zone up top. It's virtually identical with and without the steeda spring imho. I can't physically move the pedal up with or without it installed but tthere is a tiny bit of dead zone up top which seems to be normal.

That is essentially why I'm kind of considering removing it all together because it feels better with it off, for me, and since the pedal play is a non-issue seems kind of pointless.
There will always be that slight "dead zone" with any spring in the pedal. Basically the same on any hydraulic actuated clutch system.

I'm betting you won't even notice it anymore after driving for a week. :D

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well yeah, that's never been an issue for me. I just though the springs would prevent slop "if present" but since it's the same as if no spring is present I don't get the benefit.

The car drives much better, for me anyways, with no spring. It's much more natural, very easy to gauge where you are, it has much more "feel" present vs the spring which even @35 lbs feels kind of floaty. I'm still shifting and having it bog because I think I'm at 50% when I'm really at 70%. It is much easier to engage but tbh even without a spring my wife who's 5 2 120 lbs was rowing through it just fine and even mentioned it was much smoother than my wrx.

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Spring came out after work today. Rush hour traffic with the spring was infuriating! I kept bogging down unable to accurately feel for the engagement. I'll try it with it off again tomorrow and if it feels much better I'm keeping it off.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really have no problem driving my GT with the OEM spring, so I'm thinking a softer spring for me should be night and day.

2 SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT
Steeda spring came in. When compared to no spring, it brings my pedal all the way back up, but you do lose that natural feel of the clutch. Debating going back to no spring but I'll give it a couple more days.

Sponsored

Boomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Spring came out after work today. Rush hour traffic with the spring was infuriating! I kept bogging down unable to accurately feel for the engagement. I'll try it with it off again tomorrow and if it feels much better I'm keeping it off.
I'm right there with you, identical experience for me.

Without any spring it feels damn near perfect, and I have no problems at all with play at the top. Any properly adjusted clutch has a tiny bit of play at the top, because when released you don't want it put any pressure on the system.

Frankly, I didn't feel any difference in this play with the 35# spring compared to no spring, it just put some of the vagueness back into the system, and made it a little unnatural again. (although nowhere near as bad as stock spring)

I tell you, it's not natural to compress a spring (clutch), and have it get SOFTER the more you compress it.

I'm not saying a softer spring is a bad idea for everyone, I can see it being a matter of preference.

Riktar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just drove it again this morning without a spring and the bogging and jerking are definitely spring related. The drive this morning was glorious. Every single shift was on point . The pedal doesn't spring back at me and causes me to bog down. It's not impossible to drive with it and I'm sure some people prefer this but for me it's going to be without a spring. This feels like every other manual I've owned and driven.
I do notice slightly more play up top but It's within the "normal dead zone".

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Steeda spring came in. When compared to no spring, it brings my pedal all the way back up, but you do lose that natural feel of the clutch. Debating going back to no spring but I'll give it a couple more days.
This was my concern with putting a different spring back in.

2 SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT
This was my concern with putting a different spring back in.
If you go from stock spring to Steeda, I think you will like it.

If you go from stock spring to no spring to Steeda, I think you will be disappointed.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
If you go from stock spring to Steeda, I think you will like it.

If you go from stock spring to no spring to Steeda, I think you will be disappointed.
I absolutely despised the spongy, artificial feel of the clutch with the OEM spring. I've been spring-less for over a year and love it. I have nothing to gain by putting any spring back in.
Sponsored