Sponsored

Clutch or Trans noises

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
About 2 months ago I replaced the stock clutch in my 16 GT with a Exedy Hyper Single, due to catastrophic failure of the stock ford unit. I replaced everything inside the bell housing when I did this. Immediately there was/is a groaning noise when getting the car moving from a dead stop, especially when trying to get moving up a hill like my driveway or San Francisco stop lights. Initially I chalked this up to the racier hyper single. There is also a moaning/groaning noise when cornering, especially noticeable making tight low speed turns like in a parking lot. Anyway I mostly ignored all of that as the clutch worked just fine and the car drove just fine otherwise. This was until i went to the track a few weeks ago, a rattle developed coming from the trans/bell housing area, still it drove just fine. Today I pulled the trans and found nothing visually wrong...i was thinking pilot bearing but it looks fine/well greased. Trans is still out, but I'm torn as to what to do at this point. Put it back in and forget about the noises? Send the trans to Ben Calimer? Call Exedy for another clutch? (this one only has 1400 miles on it and it looks perfectly fine...just broken in. The trans/car only has 12k on it and 5 track days. Opinions?

Whats the allowable run-out on the input shaft?
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Call exedy and ask, if they don’t know the answer, carefully put it back together with the proper torque at the flywheel and pressure plate, etc, also take a special look at your shift support bracket, and trans mount, lube the bushings, then see if it still makes the noise.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
About 2 months ago I replaced the stock clutch in my 16 GT with a Exedy Hyper Single, due to catastrophic failure of the stock ford unit. I replaced everything inside the bell housing when I did this. Immediately there was/is a groaning noise when getting the car moving from a dead stop, especially when trying to get moving up a hill like my driveway or San Francisco stop lights. Initially I chalked this up to the racier hyper single. There is also a moaning/groaning noise when cornering, especially noticeable making tight low speed turns like in a parking lot. Anyway I mostly ignored all of that as the clutch worked just fine and the car drove just fine otherwise. This was until i went to the track a few weeks ago, a rattle developed coming from the trans/bell housing area, still it drove just fine. Today I pulled the trans and found nothing visually wrong...i was thinking pilot bearing but it looks fine/well greased. Trans is still out, but I'm torn as to what to do at this point. Put it back in and forget about the noises? Send the trans to Ben Calimer? Call Exedy for another clutch? (this one only has 1400 miles on it and it looks perfectly fine...just broken in. The trans/car only has 12k on it and 5 track days. Opinions?

Whats the allowable run-out on the input shaft?
I had that same issue with groaning noises while slowly turning, but the culprit was switching to a heavier fluid weight in the differential. Once I switched back to the stock weight, the groaning went away.

Just my 2 cents in the event you've changed your diff fluid recently.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I had that same issue with groaning noises while slowly turning, but the culprit was switching to a heavier fluid weight in the differential. Once I switched back to the stock weight, the groaning went away.

Just my 2 cents in the event you've changed your diff fluid recently.
No but I do run the heavy BG fluid, though I now have a Diff cooler so I suppose I could get away with the lighter weight stuff again.
Sponsored