avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone sold their s550 for a classic mustang or even have both.Ive seen a few stunning cars lately and i appreciate they come with their own problems.
My dream would be a 69 sportsroof but i also like the 71/72 mach 1.
Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It really depends what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend

I run a classic yank as a hobby car and my S550 is my daily hack precisely because classic cars make for crappy daily drivers

By definition it’s an antique so bits will drop off it and you are permanently addressing a growing list of problems. That’s part of the hobby....

The comfort, handling & safety match 50 year old benchmarks, so frankly they’re woeful.

And using it in bad weather with bad demising and bad wipers is no fun. Using it on salted winter roads will see it slowly dissolve in front if you.

But you have to balance that with the joy of owning & driving your dream, a car that’s like nothing else on the roads. Just looking at it makes me - and other road users - smile. And that’s it’s reason to be.

People ride horses for fun, not to commute to work or go on long journeys. I see classic cars along similar principles. Their use has evolved.

Modern muscle cars are an amazing feat. They still have the style and the performance but with practicality. Everyone asks me what does the S550 do to the gallon, but it’s no worse than a Range Rover or big jag. If I wanted economy I’d drive a fiat 500.

If your talking about spanking serious money on a factory resto mod with modern drivetrain which is basically just an old shell with everything else new then I guess that’s a different proposition.... but you could buy a pukka super car for that kind of money.

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
Thats the sensible logic.
I would love to have both but to spend 30 grand on a classic is unrealistic.Selling my 18 plate to fund it would be crazy no matter how awesome those cars are.
The joy of starting up a mach 1 would soon turn to frustration the moment it broke down on a long journey or the old bank balance going into the red with a list of parts that are needed to keep it going.
I recently took part in the world record attempt in Belgium and the classics there were amazing,but a few broke down on the way round the track

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yeah I was at Lommell too. Great event with some beautiful machines. It is inspiring. 68 fastback for me please:)

The thing about a classic is that its value remains generally stable, sure they have shot up over recent years, but I wouldn’t gamble my pension on that trend. But the point is they dont depreciate and are road tax exempt, so you’re not losing money, so they do make sense as a hobby. One life, live it, blah blah blah.

If you want more inspiration check out the new classics here:

https://www.billshepherdmustang.com/

Fabulous, but price on application

And a sneaky peak at my other yank. A mustang eater on a working mans budget
7D0EA041-24FD-4263-83F0-DB2F9E4F7DAA.jpeg

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Restro up in Yorkshire has some nice cars.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly depends on how big your budget is or how much you can do yourself. The first issue is finding a classic that doesn't have cancer. I daily drive my '19 GT - but after I finish the '95 Bronco that's in the shop and then get my wife' '84 GMC Short bet 4x4 done, I'll be building my next daily. It'll be something old, but it'll get the suspension updated, a T56 and LSx and it'll become an all weather daily.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have a few classics. They all come with their own problems. they’re chocked full of old parts ready to fail at any time. Electrical especially. Switches, controls etc seem to give out the most and unless it was a popular car, parts are becoming increasingly hard to find.

The challenge for me is wanting to drive them all. Modern conveniences have me always picking the newer rides with AC, bluetooth, satellite radio, etc. But if you want to cruise and turn heads, the classics are the way to go. Restomods are popular for that reason, but changing too much, takes their character away in my opinion.
DAF3A20C-8A68-4DE5-B366-0B3B8C44F2C1.jpeg
90F84AEA-52DA-491B-B6B1-5DCDF8387C1A.jpeg
DC93A524-701D-448E-872B-F9036459C842.jpeg
Sponsored