Sponsored

Chip Problems

Mustang_Scotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2016 SRT GC
So we all know about these chips that are really screwing up the whole auto industry. There are thousands of cars/trucks that are just sitting in factory fields and Ford has had to rent space to store vehicles. My question is do you think most Mach’s are customer order? What I’m trying to say is would they build our cars then just leave them in there storage lots waiting for the chip or do you think our customer order gets built 100%? We know by our emails when our cars are being built. Do they build our Mach’s 100%?
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I hope so. I'm a basket case. Keep staring at my 2018 sitting there collecting dust while Ford tries to make sense of shipping customer orders.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It seems likely when Flat Rock is closed for a month already. They're not making cars without chips to put them on parking lots.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
What I don't understand about the chip shortage is how can a chip maker not be aware of future demand for computer chips. I would think the chip makers would be keeping track of future chip demand and tool up to meet the demand for chips. There must be some other shortage of raw materials need for making computer chips. I don't think the computer chip makers are telling the whole story.

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
What I don't understand about the chip shortage is how can a chip maker not be aware of future demand for computer chips. I would think the chip makers would be keeping track of future chip demand and tool up to meet the demand for chips. There must be some other shortage of raw materials need for making computer chips. I don't think the computer chip makers are telling the whole story.
Basically, with the pandemic downturn companies cancelled their orders for chips as they projected they didn't need as big a supply during downtime. So the chip makers then put that resource into providing new vendors with chips normally sent to big customers like Ford. Now that Ford and other makers, as well as computer manufacturers, want to go back to normal levels of supply, there is no supply as the slack has been sold to other customers. So it is going to take several months to get supply levels back to where they were for the big guns. You can't turn the supply on and off like a tap and major companies are now realising this to their cost.
Sponsored