Check engine blinking

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016
I was driving at 85mph with cruise control on. I wanted to take over so i pushed the gas pedal slightly reached 90mph and the check engine started to blink. I stopped and turned off the car. Started it again and everything was good no check engine light. Is it okay to continue driving it ?
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
A blinking check engine light (and I'm assuming you mean the SES light) is typically an indication of a misfire. If it's not doing it at the moment, it should be OK to drive, but you should get it checked as soon as you can.

You don't want to drive it while it's flashing, as you could be letting a fair amount of raw fuel into the cat, which can cause it to overheat and damage the substrate. That's a very pricey fix.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
unburned fuel is getting into the exhaust system..if that Catalytic converter gets too hot could to catch fire.

OP
OP
Mustang gt 2016

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016
Ez
A blinking check engine light (and I'm assuming you mean the SES light) is typically an indication of a misfire. If it's not doing it at the moment, it should be OK to drive, but you should get it checked as soon as you can.

You don't want to drive it while it's flashing, as you could be letting a fair amount of raw fuel into the cat, which can cause it to overheat and damage the substrate. That's a very pricey fix.
Took it to my mechanic, he checked the spark plugs and replaced the 8 of them. He did this without checking the car with an OBD. Do i have to check it with an OBD or this was the problem ?
0DE8B1DE-1C41-49AD-B8F0-D9ACC8AE60A9.jpeg

OP
OP
Mustang gt 2016

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016

This was the one blinking.
DF01CC78-874F-4D42-9974-BF3D206793B1.jpeg

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Took it to my mechanic, he checked the spark plugs and replaced the 8 of them. He did this without checking the car with an OBD. Do i have to check it with an OBD or this was the problem ?
0DE8B1DE-1C41-49AD-B8F0-D9ACC8AE60A9.jpeg
Those don't look great and he may have just assumed they were the misfire cause. It strikes me as odd that he wouldn't bother doing an OBD check. If I had to bet, I'd guess he did at some point.

This was the one blinking.
DF01CC78-874F-4D42-9974-BF3D206793B1.jpeg
Yes, that's the SES (Service Engine Soon) light that I was assuming you were referring to.

When you see that on solidly, there's something wrong with the emissions system, but it isn't something the car thinks may cause damage. Keep driving, but get it checked when you can.

When that's blinking, there's a condition that could potentially cause damage, typically a misfire. When you have a misfire, the unburned fuel / air mix from the misfired chamber hits the catalytic converter in a nice burnable mixture, and raises the temperature greatly. The underlying substrate may collapse, or it could cause other damage. If it's blinking, stop driving as soon as it's safe. If it restarts afterwards without blinking, drive moderately, and get it checked as soon as you can.
Sponsored