dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Hi all,

I ordered up a set of redline hood struts, but I couldn't help but be tempted by some generic struts on Amazon. For $30, they seemed very similar to the ford performance ones. Other than our egos saying that they're cheap Chinese junk, is there really any reason not to consider those? Is there really a difference in quality for an item like this? Do they fail over time or something? Just curious for actual feedback, not just our biases for the name brand stuff.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Hi all,

I ordered up a set of redline hood struts, but I couldn't help but be tempted by some generic struts on Amazon. For $30, they seemed very similar to the ford performance ones. Other than our egos saying that they're cheap Chinese junk, is there really any reason not to consider those? Is there really a difference in quality for an item like this? Do they fail over time or something? Just curious for actual feedback, not just our biases for the name brand stuff.

Thanks,

Mike
I originally bought the ford performance hood struts, they sucked. I swapped to the redline's and theyre excellent. The ford struts themselves were "fine" but the t-nut couldnt get tight enough or would get loose and the base would spin. I actually had one side let loose when i was sitting in a parking lot one day, i though someone took a shot at me lol

I immediately replaced with the redline's, and never an issue since.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Ford performance on mine too. Not what I had expected. The t-nut is a pita and the hood bracket needs some beef like the steeda etc. Live and learn.
Do you have a link to the cheaps you speak of?

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford performance on mine too. Not what I had expected. The t-nut is a pita and the hood bracket needs some beef like the steeda etc. Live and learn.
Do you have a link to the cheaps you speak of?

CHEDA Hood Lift Strut Damper Shock Set Compatible with 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Ford Racing Mustang - Complete Kit Black https://a.co/d/e6dN7hf

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'd rather wipe my ass with a cheese grater than install something like that, but that's just me. Not only are the cheaper kits annoying to install, but the struts themselves probably won't last.

If you're on a budget, the prop rod is free :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
This is nothing more than a curiosity thing as I have the redlines coming. I did consider these cheapies but my main concern was that the struts wouldn't hold over time. Wasn't sure if that was a possibility or not. Or is a strut pretty much a strut for this application?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
You get what you pay for. I had Ford Performance on my 2016 and they weren't that great.

Recently bought Steeda for my Mach 1 but switched my order to Redline based on the positive feedback here on the forum. Installed them yesterday, which was easy (minus the step drill template which isn't that accurate). Will see how they hold up but first impression is that they're very solid and brackets etc., as well.

$30: "Durable Material: Made of high-quality material, using advanced production technology. Durable and not easily damaged."

Redline Elite ($130): "316L Stainless Steel"

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is nothing more than a curiosity thing as I have the redlines coming. I did consider these cheapies but my main concern was that the struts wouldn't hold over time. Wasn't sure if that was a possibility or not. Or is a strut pretty much a strut for this application?
For this application, it's the hardware that matters most. The FP kit and other clones only attaches the passenger side with one bolt, allowing the mounting tab to twist and tear up the fender while it does so (you can never get it tight enough to stop this). The better kits have more substantial brackets that locate and bolt everything down much better.

But yes, cheap struts also don't last.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My frpp hood struts also rotated quite a bit when torquing to what the instructions said, messing up the length/angles and making me fight to get the 2nd strut in. They do look good though

tangermean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Gt350, 68 Coupe
I'd rather wipe my ass with a cheese grater than install something like that, but that's just me. Not only are the cheaper kits annoying to install, but the struts themselves probably won't last.

If you're on a budget, the prop rod is free :)
Not only is it free, but it never fails! Never understood why everyone rushes to add hood struts.

Sponsored

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase