Sponsored

Charger v Mustang: a Bizzare comparison

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
If you've seen my other thread (Jumped Ship!), you know by now that I sold my sold to the devil and bought Charger Daytona 392.

Even though it's an unnatural comparison, I thought I'd make a right up for anyone else who may be considering the same trade for the same reasons.

First off, I've always been a Mustang fan, and expect to always be even if I'm not driving one. I learned to drive in my first Mustang, a 65, 289 coupe, then owned a 2000 GT, and a 2012 GT, before my S550 PP. It's just a great formula: V8 power, competitive handling, and great looks for an affordable price. I will likely be back in the mustang fold at some point.

Mainly, I started considering options outside of Mustangs, because I wanted more space and something a little different. The timing was also good, as I didn't owe much on the car, and it still had decent value left.

But, on with the comparison:
  • Initial Quality:
Mustang: I had a few quality issues with my 2015 that I noticed immediately after taking delivery, and most of them seemed fairly common from what I've read on this forum. Rear quarter panels were pinched in on both sides at the upper seams, loose and wrinkled leather on the passenger seat, rear window also had the alignment problem. The real kicker was an issue I never heard of anyone having; the rear window glass was actually miscast, so it was thicker in a 2", lateral band, all the way across. This caused a distorted view through the rear view mirror. Dealer fixed all of this at no charge, but I spent the first 2 months of ownership going back and forth to the dealer in a succession of loaner/rental cars. Not a great start. Brake Squeal from the PP Brembos started right before I traded at about 10K miles.
Charger: Knock wood, I haven't noticed any issues yet. All the panel fitements, look spot on, widows, and interior all seem pretty well put together. I did notice on the instrument bezel, there was a little extra material around one edge, looked like excess from the molding process. Fingernail scraped it flush. The Daytona gets the 6 piston Brembos from the Hellcat & SRT, with 4 piston Brembos in back. So I wouldn't be terribly shocked if these start to squeal as well at some point.
Winner: Charger. (I think my mustang must have been assembled after the union Christmas party or something!).

• Interior Materials:
Mustang: We're all familiar, so I won't go into detail, but I liked my Mustang's interior (least once the loose leather was fixed!). I did regret not getting the "Premier" trim, but I wanted Saddle and it wasn't available with that trim at the time. The plastic door card tops, and fake dash stitching were a little chintzy feeling.
Charger: Overall, it's comparable in material quality. The Dash is a slightly more rubbery material in leather grain, but it's soft touch and this carries over to the tops of the door cards. Just like the Mustang, those areas that aren't as visable have some scratchy plastics, but there's probably less of these cheap plastics than in a non-premier Mustang. Still pretty dang close.
Winner: Tie

• Interior Space: Charger wins. No contest. Everyone knows how big and heavy this car is (longer than my wife's bmw X3!), and interior space is where it pays off. Seats 4, real adults, and I could squeeze 5. The trunk is like a small cave.
  • Performance:
Mustang: I always loved how my Mustang performed. Was a little disappointed in the straight line performance (my S197 5.0 felt quicker), but it was still plenty fast and really shined in the corners. Always fun to drive with the 6 speed and 3.73.
Charger: Obviously, straight line performance is this car's primary mission. One major mag article I read tested a 392 Scat pack getting a 0-60 of 4.1 secs, and 12.4 in the quarter. (in fairness, most other road tests I saw were more like 4.2-4.3 and 12.6 but still!). The Daytona 392 certainly feels capable of that. The 8 speed auto is impressive in sport mode. Rev matches and shifts fast and hard. On the handling side, it's actually surprisingly good considering the sheer mass involved but it's no canyon carver.
Winner: Tie. Mustang faster in turns, Charger faster on straights.

• Sound
Mustang: Solid, but I always wanted to put a cat back on it for just a little more. The sound from inside was better than outside. Inside, it sounded great running through the gears.
Charger: Daaaamn! This thing sounds good, at an idle. With a few revs it's actually a little too loud for my tastes, though not so much as I'd complain! Active exhaust eliminates drone at cruising speeds, and gets a bit louder in sport mode.
Winner: Charger

So what's the verdict? I really think it's a virtual tie, but they're different cars with slightly different missions. The Mustang is a great Pony car that overlaps Sports Car territory. It gets more sophisticated, and better with each generation. The Coyote V8 is really an engineering Marvel. On the other hand, the Charger remains an unapologetic, old school, knuckle dragging, muscle car that packs a serious punch.

If you're looking for a pony car, get a Mustang. If you need something bigger and still want to enjoy serious performance, I highly recommend the Charger (least until the doors fall off: still a little wary about longer term reliability, but we'll see).

All the best!
Sponsored

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Charger is ugly, and there is no aftermarket for ugly. Everything else you can change.
C'mon, is that all you got?:)

Looks are subjective but the Mustang is the better looking car, I would agree. I didn't car much for the Charger look either until they redid the nose for 15. But, Between that, the bulging hood, the scalloped sides, I think it looks pretty mean.

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Dammit, I was all set to get an Expedition until I read this. Now I've been looking at Scatpacks and a Daytona that are local and probably going to go talk numbers this week. After a couple more days, would you still get it again if given the chance?

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Good luck talking numbers with the scat packs.

I'm looking to lease one and they are making me laugh.

With the rebates and high residual the leases that I calculate are far better than what I'm getting from the dealer. I'm continuing to work on it though.

The scat pack is amazing for what it is. I loved the test drive. I miss driving big RWD v8 sedan.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Charger is a cool car but i wouldn't touch an FCA car. 4 of the 10 worst car brands from a reliability and safety standpoint were FCA (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO the Charger is too big and has too many doors. Heck, I think the Mustang is too big! Cars have gotten so bloated it's insane.

I really hate that stupid scallop on the side of the Charger. I do like the front end though.

I haven't sat inside a Charger because I really would never even consider it, but I like the Challenger interior.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I like enough the newest Charger to have considered buying one, but a few things:

1) They are cop cars.
2) Too many hovering around on big, chrome rent-a-rims.
3) It's a Chrysler product and, if there's one brand I have MORE issues with than Ford, it's Chrysler
4) The dealership service experience at Chrysler/Dodge in my area is notoriously bad, worse even than Ford dealerships, which, until I came to know people that work at them, was awful).

Great infotainment system, though.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Dammit, I was all set to get an Expedition until I read this. Now I've been looking at Scatpacks and a Daytona that are local and probably going to go talk numbers this week. After a couple more days, would you still get it again if given the chance?
Right now, yeah I'd do it again, no doubt.

I too was hesitant to purchase a Dodge because of reliability concerns, but then again, I haven't had the best of luck with my last two Mustangs. It has a warranty and if I have major issues after that, I'll just ditch it and move on to the next one!

No issues to report so far though (and I should hope not!)

Sponsored

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Right now, yeah I'd do it again, no doubt.

I too was hesitant to purchase a Dodge because of reliability concerns, but then again, I haven't had the best of luck with my last two Mustangs. It has a warranty and if I have major issues after that, I'll just ditch it and move on to the next one!

No issues to report so far though (and I should hope not!)
That's good news to hear since I'm about to go in and sign the paperwork on a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. Pretty surreal moment, but I saw my baby on the ultrasound today and that made things crystal clear what I had to do. Wife Happy and I'm happy. Good day overall.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
That's good news to hear since I'm about to go in and sign the paperwork on a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. Pretty surreal moment, but I saw my baby on the ultrasound today and that made things crystal clear what I had to do. Wife Happy and I'm happy. Good day overall.
Congrats! (on the baby of course)

I've got my papers signed on a 17. Just trying to offload my car.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Congrats on both! My son went through 2 Mustangs. The rear facing infant seat was a little tough, but once he was in a forward facing seat, we were ok in the Mustang for a couple of years. Still, it'll all be so much easier in the big Charger.

What color SP are you getting? I opted for the pitch black and went for the Daytona 392.

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Congrats on both! My son went through 2 Mustangs. The rear facing infant seat was a little tough, but once he was in a forward facing seat, we were ok in the Mustang for a couple of years. Still, it'll all be so much easier in the big Charger.

What color SP are you getting? I opted for the pitch black and went for the Daytona 392.
Torred with the Hyperblack wheels. Finally getting sunny again here in NC so hopefully I'll get some good pictures of it today or tomorrow. I looked at the Daytona 392, but really liked the Scat Pack and what it had already.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I scooted around a few scats at the track. :) Teheheee.

Nice cars, though. Just... I can't. Haha.
Sponsored